•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Siebert barlows..?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

I'm actually quite embarrassed to post this at this time...I've been in communication with Harry Siebert concerning a custom barlow & fitting.

For the purpose of this thread it is for a low-powered barlow capable of delivering that amplification at a specific back-spacing from the rear of the unit's T-adapter... 

It's actually 3 weeks since I first asked him about this possibility & much of that time has been taken up with explaining exactly what the requirements are. (I'm pernickety as well as pedantic & it's often the case that folks can get confused when their primary form of communication is via email - both of us have had to draw up sketches/plans to clarify what we are asking/saying. wink.gif )

On my part this desire to clarify everything to the nth degree as well as a couple of other aspects has probably been a (if not the) major time-factor in the past 3 weeks...Harry for his part has explained that there is a lot going on at his end, but with the utmost respect I'd just like to hear if anyone knows anything here - of course I could just ask Harry - I'm an old fella & in some ways I can understand it'd be best to ask him directly, but there is also an element of reserve on my part to ask him directly.

Harry, if you read this I trust you will understand & forgive me but I'd like to be informed if anyone knows anything additional: Siebert optics was recommended to me quite a long time ago for their quality products.  

#2 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

Quality optics, pretty much all custom made or in short runs, by basically a mom and pop operation.

There is sometimes a wait, and sometimes not. 

I have always understood when ordering that there may be, as Siebert Optics is not a retailer.

If I've had to, then it's always been worth the wait, for me.

• CollinofAlabama and Mike Mc like this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

Quality optics, pretty much all custom made or in short runs, by basically a mom and pop operation.

There is sometimes a wait, and sometimes not. 

I have always understood when ordering that there may be, as Siebert Optics is not a retailer.

If I've had to, then it's always been worth the wait, for me.

Thanks izar - the sort of response that re-assures me: I did appreciate the "mom & pop" operation as Harry recently said he'd get his wife to look at the freight charges...I was just worried there might be something important occurring which is why I didn't want to respond until I'd heard back from the last email.

I'm at 35°S so you'll appreciate that I'm not so up to date with a lot of your astro suppliers "up there." wink.gif

#4 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:48 PM

Why don't you just ask him where you are in the que, and ask him to give you his best estimate when you will receive the product.

You did mention it was a one off custom order, so he may also be waiting for raw materials to arrive.

I am sure he works on first in first out, except for when he is waiting on raw materials.

Good luck!

Edited by faackanders2, 10 February 2019 - 04:58 PM.

• havasman and martinw89 like this

#5 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

Second Izar187. I like my 1.25” 1.5x Barlow very much. Took a couple-odd weeks to show up, but it’s even lighter than I’d been led to believe by other Cloudy Night folk, and that being an important criterion for me, was a welcome surprise. Good optical manufacturer turning out a good product, but you can’t be in a hurry.
  • izar187 likes this

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:37 AM

No problems fellas - the replies have made me a bit more aware of  how Harry operates etc & I'm completely comfortable knowing this! smile.gif waytogo.gif

#7 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:19 AM

I ordered some SS3 eyepieces from Siebert Optics.  After I send in my order, it takes about 1 week to receive an email invoice.  Then, Harry has to make them in between other orders.  It's normal if the order takes another 3 weeks to ship.  Harry is a busy guy.  I think these eyepieces were worth waiting for and I'd definitely order from Siebert Optics again.

• izar187 likes this

#8 joe nastasi

joe nastasi

Vendor (Parallax Instruments)

• Vendors

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

I agree with penguinx64. I own a few of Harry's barlows and find them superb. Right up there with the very best.

#9 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:55 AM

I have a 6x Siebert barlow that I picked up used on the CN classifieds out of curiousity.  I haven't used it much, because 6x is a bit high for most of my eyepieces.  Tonight, I tried it in my 80mm f7.5 refractor with a 25mm HD-60.  This gave me 144x magnification looking at Uranus with a 0.55mm exit pupil.  I could definitely see that Uranus was a planetary disk with a blue-gray color.  The view was clear with no distortion through the field of view.  I looked at a couple of stars too and it worked very well.  The 60 degree AFOV wasn''t shrunken by this barlow either.  It's a great quality barlow, even though the magnification is a bit high.

#10 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

Does anyone have Siebert 2" Barlows?  How are they?

#11 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

Does anyone have Siebert 2" Barlows?  How are they?

Hopefully, Dave Russell will chime in with the details.

But here in the OP he classified the 2" 2x and 2.5x Siebert Telecentric as optically flawless. And in this thread, post #23 Dave, answering my question said the 2.5x Siebert is better than a Powermate.

#12 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:09 PM

I had heard the 2" Barlows are generally preferred even for 1.25" eyepieces. With smaller eyepieces, you are using the center area of the Barlow lenses.  The Barlow lens aberrations, if any, tend to be worse at the edges.

#13 SomebodyElseEntirely

SomebodyElseEntirely

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

I have a Siebert 1.5x telecentric. At roughly similar magnification, I have a 1.6x Nikon EiC-16 barlow (a device that receives a lot of praise here on CN). I’d prefer to avoid making public statements as to which is better, but I will tell you that I use the Siebert far more often than the Nikon.

#14 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:13 AM

I have a Siebert 1.5x telecentric. At roughly similar magnification, I have a 1.6x Nikon EiC-16 barlow (a device that receives a lot of praise here on CN). I’d prefer to avoid making public statements as to which is better, but I will tell you that I use the Siebert far more often than the Nikon.

The one thing I have noticed about the Nikon that would not be a problem with the Siebert is that - being a short barlow - some eyepieces do have trouble at the edges with the Nikon. 

Long FL eyepieces usually vignette with it.  And then, for example, the 18.2mm DeLite is excellent with the Nikon barlow, but something seems just a bit off near the edges - as if the field is curved whereas unbarlowed the field appears flat.  The 12mm Pentax XF cannot handle it.  The 10mm and 7mm Nikon SW, 10mm and 7mm Pentax XW, and 9mm and 6.5mm Morpheus OTOH are spectacular with it.  

The 2.5x Siebert telecentric, 3x TV barlow, 1.6x Nikon barlow, and 2.4x 2" Dakin barlow are the 4 best barlows I have used. There is a noticeable gap between these 4 and the others.  The 2.5x GSO probably falls somewhere in that gap.  I won't try to rank these top 4 because they are all incredibly sharp and clean up the edge performance of eyepieces that struggle with edge performance. 

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:10 AM

...just a follow up on this thread that I started - I received an email today from USPS stating that a parcel would be shipped on Feb. 19th via Priority Mail International...this would be tomorrow in the States as it is already the 19th here in Oz. ;)

I only enabled the transaction less than 36 hours ago after a prolonged email exchange with Harry due to the custom barlow I ordered having its own special characteristics...

Whilst it might take longer possibly before it starts moving, Harry is obviously on the ball with it & I look forward to using it in our planetary imaging setup when it does arrive! :)

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#16 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:22 AM

I think you will find it well worth the wait amigo, some of the best glass I own (particularly Barlows) came from Harry. For my part I would be interested to hear your feedback since I know I was at least one of the folks talking up Siebert products in the Solar System Imaging forum in the past smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#17 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:06 AM

Hi Brian - I probably had your past comments stored somewhere in my memory..! lol.gif

Basically I've contracted Harry to provide me with a custom barlow that delivers 1.5x at 80mm back distance from the lens cell & T-thread connector...an insurance against when the planets are lower & we need to use an ADC. (although Uranus already falls into that category) 

We usually tend to over-sample past the 5x the camera sensor's pixel-sizing "rule of thumb" anyway so the 2.9uM of the ASI290MM would only just approach that - but I foresee 2.4uM camera sensors in our planetary imaging in the not-too-distant future. wink.gif

The larger-pixelled ASI224MC will be fine with an ADC & this particular barlow also... :)

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

I think you will find it well worth the wait amigo, some of the best glass I own (particularly Barlows) came from Harry.

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Well Brian...seems Harry had almost put it together by the time I last posted - understandable in some ways due to the fact that we had communicated long & deep about exactly what he was putting together for me! waytogo.gif

The barlow parcel has already arrived at the Raleigh NC USPS distribution centre..! bigshock.gif bounce.gif

#19 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

...arrived today! grin.gif  - seems like the comments about needing to wait sometime didn't apply to my special order...perhaps I'm a special customer..! :rofl:

Looks the goods, well made with nice caps & securely freighted...will post an image after lunch maybe. ;)

#20 enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:56 AM

Considering the 2.5x for visual and AP. 

Side note, thx to all for this truly info-friendly forum. waytogo.gif

#21 Magnitude7

Magnitude7

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:07 AM

Just got mine. Waited 2 months for it.

It's the wrong magnification.

Now I have to send it back and the long wait begins all over again.

A very disappointing purchase.

#22 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Does he make a 1.25” tele-centric barlow? I’ve been interested in one (a true tele-centric) to sit in front of the diagonal on my Tak FC60 and FC76. They are both F8 and it would boost them to F12 and with a true tele-centric rather than a barlow, it’s placement either in front of or behind the diagonal doesn't effect the amplification. I do this with excellent results with they two Taks and my 1.25” TV Powermate for Hα viewing, but a 1.5X would be nice for general nighttime viewing at higher powers, especially with the little FC60 which needs amplification to reach the powers it it capable of when using my orthoscopic eyepieces. The other choice is the Takahashi 1.25” 2X Telecentric barlow which retails for $204 USD.

Edited by terraclarke, 06 May 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#23 SomebodyElseEntirely

SomebodyElseEntirely

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

He does indeed make 1.25" telecentric devices. The one I have is a 1.25" unit (although I feel I should have ordered a 2" unit, just for the extra versatility, and I may indeed do so). I haven't tried it in my Tak but, given how well it works in the TEC 140 APO, I see no reason to expect it to be anything other than excellent in the Tak.

They're not cheap, but I do consider them fairly priced.

With regard to waiting times: I suspect that Harry makes the units when an order is placed. So it can be a couple of weeks or so before the order is posted. For me, that's no big deal — rapid receipt of astro gear is hardly a life or death matter.

• CollinofAlabama and Terra Nova like this

#24 Magnitude7

Magnitude7

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:45 PM

Just got mine. Waited 2 months for it.

It's the wrong magnification.

Now I have to send it back and the long wait begins all over again.

A very disappointing purchase.

UPDATE:

Received the replacement today.

A Siebert 2 inch, 1.6x Telecentric Barlow.

Just finished testing it under the stars...

SUPERB!

It ranks right up there with the very best:  Very close in performance to the Baader/Zeiss, Nikon, and APM 2.7x.

Optically, fantastic.  Cleans up field curvature.  Sharp, and very transparent.

Mechanically, it's a pleasure.  The self-centering eyepiece holder is very secure and easy to use.

And it only weighs 7oz.  Balance issues are minimized.

It's also nearly parfocal.  No running out of focus room.

And finally, the 1.6x magnification jump is ideal for the eyepiece I intend to use it with.  There are a lot of 2x Barlows available, but not so many 1.6x.

Despite the rocky start, I must admit that Harry Siebert went above & beyond to make me happy.  He tweaked the design to match my specifications, including the length of the barrel of the Barlow, the insertion depth of my eyepiece, and the focus requirements.  Not to mention the magnification. 

These Siebert Barlows have flown under the Cloudynights radar for too long.  People should know how good these products are.

Edited by Magnitude7, 24 May 2019 - 12:16 AM.

• izar187, eros312, Aleko and 1 other like this

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:20 AM

...I'll chime in here for a comment on my custom 1.5x barlow Harry made me a couple of months or more ago now: it has worked extremely well & although this was for a specific camera & ADC application it performs at least as well as the Televue units I also have. (which were not suitable for said application)

Highly recommended! waytogo.gif

• izar187 and eros312 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics