•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revolution Imager R2 USB frame capture device

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nrcapes

nrcapes

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

I have an RI 2 that I am trying to get running on Windows 10 virtual machine through Parallels Desktop on a MacBook Air.  The video frame grabber that came with the RI 2 shows up as OK in the Windows Device Manager.  I would like to use SharpCap with it but want to test out the video grabbing before adding in another piece of software.  Is there a simple software that I can use to record video from the RI 2 through the frame grabber.

#2 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Just buy and use a PC, not a mac and your troubles will be over!

#3 tsbikes

tsbikes

Explorer 1

• Loc: Custer, South Dakota

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

I use Quicktime 7 to do video .

I also have found the screenshot software that comes with Mac Mojave 10.14.2 to work well with capturing video like that that is output from rev2 with a screen Graber .

No reason to mess with the Windows PCs . If you do choose to work with Windows I would use Bootcamp.

Jim

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:11 AM

What Jim said. 

In general the USB frame grabbers look like very basic video devices to the OS's. In Windows they tend to look like DirectShow web cameras, in Mac OS it's similar but the terms are different. So just about any app that can work with a simple webcam like device will usually work to display the video from the USB frame grabber.

Also you shouldn't worry about installing SharpCap, it's a pretty light weight app and doesn't "disturb" things so you should feel comfortable just trying it out.

#5 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

I would go ahead and use SharpCap on your MacBook with the RI2 and it’s USB image capture device. I use it with a 2009 MacBook Pro running Windows via Parallels with no problems.

#6 Danoglide63

Danoglide63

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

I have a Macbook Pro and R2 also I have a ZWOASICAP 224MC. I found  TON of info at MacObservatory. Many of the software programs available can connect to the ZWO but I haven't found anything yet that can run the R2. Please let me know a little bit about "Parallels", never heard of that.

If anybody knows what will run R2 on my Mac without going boot camp please let me know too!

Thanks,

Dano

Edited by Danoglide63, 12 February 2019 - 05:04 PM.

#7 mikenoname

mikenoname

Ranger 4

• Loc: Death Valley

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

The R2 is an analog camera. While you can externally control digital cameras like the ZWO you mentioned above, no external computer or software can control an analog camera. It can only be controlled by its own internal menu system.

#8 nrcapes

nrcapes

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

I have a Macbook Pro and R2 also I have a ZWOASICAP 224MC. I found  TON of info at MacObservatory. Many of the software programs available can connect to the ZWO but I haven't found anything yet that can run the R2. Please let me know a little bit about "Parallels", never heard of that.

If anybody knows what will run R2 on my Mac without going boot camp please let me know too!

Thanks,

Dano-

Parallels (www.parallels.com) allows you to run Windows as a virtual machine on top of the MacOS.  I have it installed on my MacBook Air 2014 and, although there is some decrease in performance, it does run NexRemote, the Canon EOS Utility, and AstroToaster. I have not been able to use Bootcamp because the Apple drivers do not work with the third-party SSD RAM that I added to the machine.  In some ways, it is nicer than Bootcamp because it can be set up so that apps from both Mac and Windows are on the screen at the same time. I have not tested it with R2 yet except that Windows 10 does recognize the USB capture device that came with the R2. I still want to test the R2 without SharpCap to see what the camera is gathering before getting involved with the complexity of SharpCap.  If we ever get clear skies here without sub-zero temps, that is my next step.

#9 tsbikes

tsbikes

Explorer 1

• Loc: Custer, South Dakota

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

I use Quicktime with good success on my MacBook Pro with the Mac OS. It allow capture of movies and does rudimentary adjustments. On Quicktime Player 10.4 recording setup is found on the dropdown next to the record button. Other versions have setup in the Preferences menu. You will need a frame grabber to go from R2 to USB digital.

I prefer Bootcamp to Parallels though I have used both successfully. Boot camp runs all my Windows software including SharpCap which also works with the R2.

Jim

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

The R2 is an analog camera. While you can externally control digital cameras like the ZWO you mentioned above, no external computer or software can control an analog camera. It can only be controlled by its own internal menu system.

Oh nay nay my friend. grin.gif

Mike, There are a number of apps that can control various analog video cameras. The cameras need to be wired for an RS232 or RS485 interface. The most popular combination would be the Mallincam Xtreme which has at least 3 different control apps (one is available on both Windows and MacOS). There are also a few different options for the Mallincam Micro. G-Star has an app that controls their analog cameras. There are also a number of home grown apps floating around that can control the generic security cameras from Samsung, Watec, and Mintron.

Edited by mclewis1, 15 February 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#11 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

The R2 uses a UTC hand controller that transmits commands over the video coax up to 600 feet away.

Many analog cameras can be controlled by external software  (R1, MicroEX, LN300, Mallincam) wired, coax, or bluetooth.

My favorite software is MMEC for controlling Mallincam Micro and LN300.

http://remotevideoas.../downloads.html

#12 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

I feel that the R2, while interesting, is actually old technology. You need to adjust the controls of the analog camera prior to stacking an image. Plus the image looks very video-ish. With the current slew CMOS cameras available now, everything is now digital. You do the adjustments of the camera through the software, not through the camera and you connect the CMOS camera to the laptop or tablet, but you still need an analog to digital converter capture device to get the image from analog to digital.

#13 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

I feel that the R2, while interesting, is actually old technology. You need to adjust the controls of the analog camera prior to stacking an image. Plus the image looks very video-ish. With the current slew CMOS cameras available now, everything is now digital. You do the adjustments of the camera through the software, not through the camera and you connect the CMOS camera to the laptop or tablet, but you still need an analog to digital converter capture device to get the image from analog to digital.

The R2 still has a place on low end mounts that don't track well.  The R2 has one of the fastest CCD chips, ICX811, matched only by the ICX825.  All CMOS cameras require at least twice the exposre time.  That is cutting it close for a Nextstar SE, GT, SLT mount.  To close for me. 

CMOS cameras require a better mount.  At a minimum an Evolution mount, or preferably a AVX mount.  That puts you at another level of expense.

The R2 is still the best camera for a beginner with low end mount.  It is a shame since ICX811 stock is dwindling and CMOS is not catching up speed wise, yet.  Could be the entry level low end user will get shut out of EAA for a while, and there is no guarantee CMOS will ever cater to them.  Sensor manufacturers have never catered to the small EAA crowd. 

• mikenoname likes this

#14 mikenoname

mikenoname

Ranger 4

• Loc: Death Valley

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

Couldn't agree more. My R1.2 is perfect for my little ETX-70 and allows me to do some great EAA/outreach very cheaply.

While I do have my eyes on a 224/385 and better mount/scope in the future, I can do quite a bit and have loads of fun with my simple setup. I was never able to see this much with any of my dobs in the past!

It is the epitome of 'grab and go EAA'. :)

Edited by mikenoname, 16 February 2019 - 03:55 PM.

• nic35 and CharlesC like this

#15 Danoglide63

Danoglide63

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Hello again,

Since my last post here I have gone Windows 7 on my macbook os x via boot camp and installed Sharpcap so I can run my R2. Everything is working well but I was still interested in using R2 on my macbook. I came across an app in the store called "Camera Record-Video Recorder". It'd free to try but only records 50 seconds, has a few adjustments you can make. You'll recognize it by the red old fashioned movie camera icon. If the sky ever clears and I can get out I'll let everyone know how it goes, or you can beat me to it.

Thanks,

Danoglide

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics