•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quantum 6 Bottom Fork Knob stiff

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

Hi All:

Can I ask the collective for advice.  I am just getting into understanding and repairing ( Wooden cases  dull metal surfaces of Fork etc.) my very old and beautiful Quantum 6 I just got.

I can see that this black knob that engages the clutch for the bottom dial / knob is super stiff.   It only rotates maybe 15 degrees or so.  When it is tightened, the larger round knob does rotates the scope.  When the black pin is rotated about 15 degrees clockwise it  disengages the dial, and the dial does not rotate the fork / scope.

Can I deal with this tight black knob my self?  Dare I try to disassemble this fork my self. I DO NOT want to screw it up .

Even though the fork looks tired, there are no major defects or dents etc.  All the knobs / dials  seem to work OK.

Lastly, is there a telescope repair in Los Angeles you know of?  I do not want to ship this far away as it costs a fortune and is dangerous.

Regards: Eric Curry

Attached Thumbnails

• Q6 Needs service.jpg

#2 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

My Q4 was quit stiffer than my Q3.5.  I saw some grit between the rotating ring and the R..A.  decal  and remove as much grit as possible. I also adjusted the lever (by hand) until there was less resistance.

#3 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

When you press your finger on the black lever does it seem like it's on a spring? On my Q6, pressing that lever forward and holding it there (clockwise direction) disengages the large knob so the scope can be rotated quickly by hand by grabbing the fork arm. I must keep my finger pressed on that lever when rotating the scope by hand. When I take my finger off of the black lever, the lever springs back to it's original position and the large knob is once again engaged so I can make fine adjustments. I hope I'm making sense. V/R Terry
  • Matt Looby likes this

#4 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:38 PM

Yes it makes sense.  I have push it inward towards the center of the base.  When I let go of the black knob it rotates outward again and allows the round dial to engage again.   Still, it is super stiff and very hard to push.  Maybe it is made to be that way?

I can see there are 4 different holes that the black knob can be screwed into.

maybe I should screw the black knob not,the hole to,the right so there is more latitude to loosen the mechanism.  If it can rotate  90 degrees it might be better than a short stroke of just 15 degrees?

#5 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

I wish I knew what normal operation was. My rule of thumb is that if it can be built and serviced it can be disassembled and reassembled by anyone who uses care and attention.
  • Erik Bakker and TerryWood like this

#6 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

Yes it makes sense.  I have push it inward towards the center of the base.  When I let go of the black knob it rotates outward again and allows the round dial to engage again.   Still, it is super stiff and very hard to push.  Maybe it is made to be that way?

I can see there are 4 different holes that the black knob can be screwed into.

maybe I should screw the black knob not,the hole to,the right so there is more latitude to loosen the mechanism.  If it can rotate  90 degrees it might be better than a short stroke of just 15 degrees?

So the lever arm (black knob) is hard to push forward? I think mine may have been like that too, but the more I've used it the easier it's become. Like it just had to work out some kinks because the lever wasn't used much. The lever only moves a little forward when pressed too. There is a lot of tension on that lever, which I believe it is supposed to have. Does the fork arm base move smoothly when you disengage the large knob? My base rotates really, really smoothly. 

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood, 10 February 2019 - 07:55 PM.

#7 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

Excellent advice.

The  scope has not been used for many years, just sat in a den looking cool, but not actually used.  I think it needs to be used several times to possibly loosen up.

the base does rotate, not buttery smooth but it is not stiff or ferry.  Maybe that needs to be used a bit too.

the advice to carefully disassemble it is more than I'm willing to do at his point.  I hate to spend a fortune to repair my damage I might cause....  we'll see.

thanks for the advice.

#8 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Keep us posted! I think the first chance you get to turn it toward the Moon you'll be very happy!

V/R

Terry

#9 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:43 AM

Taking it out under the stars and use it is probably the best thing you can do for both the Q6 and yourself.

Enjoy that wonderful classic smile.gif

#10 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:31 AM

Eric,

Are you missing the OTI round emblem that is to cover the central bolt on the mount?

Peter

#11 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

I think your Q6 will work  good.  I believe more use will help.  Good Luck !   

• TerryWood likes this

#12 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:13 PM

So interesting the comment about the missing OTI emblem.  I do have it sitting loose ina plastic bag.  It came with the scope and it missing some of its painted emblem - but I got it.  now that I know where it goes I will reattach it after I clean up the scope a bit.   Thanks for that.

Im re varnishing the wooden boxes as they were pretty banged up. They are cleaning up nicely.  I had to re glue the top lit of the OTA box as it broke off during shipping .  ( I had nightmares about that for several days )

• Erik Bakker likes this

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:07 AM

The more you use it, the better the scope will become after such a long time of storage. It may need some wearing in once again. Let us know how she does under the stars!

#14 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

Eric,

I asked about the emblem because I believe I have a spare.

B4 Alan Kerro retired from Davro he suggested I buy a few common spares, and an emplem was part of that package,.

Peter

• Erik Bakker likes this

#15 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

Wow Peter.

thats great you have an extra.  The one I have included in a plastic baggie is all banged up and missing half of the painted logo.

I'll send a photo of it tomorrow.

what a generous offer.

regards. Eric. curry

#16 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Eric, et al:

I checked my "stash" today. I have qty 1 extra Q6 emblem and qty 1 Q4 emblem. Both pristine. Also qty 1 extra Q6 RA indicator and qty 1 extra Q4 RA indicator.

Eric gets the Q6 emblem should he want it. The others are up for grabs ONLY TO PEOPLE WHO DEMONSTRABLY NEED THEM. Just pay for shipping.

As far as I'm concerned, its inappropriate to hoard these unobtaneum items if people really need them. I have 1 ea of these for my Q4  and Q6, I'd never need the others.

Fair enough gang??

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190216_162849_resized.jpg
  • 20190216_162758_resized.jpg

• Erik Bakker, TerryWood, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#17 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

The spirit of generosity is inspiring. I might suggest publishing what you can of dimensions and details to enable future replication. A 300 DPI scan is very helpful. A photo with a ruler is good too.
  • TerryWood likes this

#18 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

The spirit of generosity is inspiring. I might suggest publishing what you can of dimensions and details to enable future replication. A 300 DPI scan is very helpful. A photo with a ruler is good too.

Honestly: Alan at Davro would "accidentally" let stuff fall into boxes on occasion. It would be just wrong to capitalize on that. Bad karma!

Good point on the scan and dimensions. I can do that!

Peter

• TerryWood likes this

#19 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hi Peter:

that is is very generous of you, I'll take it.  About how much is shipping?  I'll send it via pay pal.  

In return, I would like to send you one of my photos as a form of thanks.  

gratefully:  Eric Curry

#20 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

Here is a shot of my emblem. Not exactly pristine.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2720.JPG

#21 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

Eric,

Sure! That is being awfully nice!

BTW: I love your images. My alma mater, School of Photographic Arts and Sciences at RIT does what they call the "Big Shot" annually somewhere in the world, doing larger scale versions of light painting. My favorite is their image of USS Intrepid: http://bigshot.cad.r...du/big-shot-14/

#22 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

Wonderful gestures, Peter and Eric bow.gif

And may I suggest our PM system to all interested for exchanging further personal contact information? Our ToS do not allow that in the forums.

• pbealo likes this

#23 R Dickson

R Dickson

Lift Off

• Loc: Rockwood, TN

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

Many years ago my Q6 also had a stiff clutch (black knob). I think all I did was remove the aluminum slow motion knob and use a little 3-in-1 on the clutch ecentric. The clutch knob also has a set scew and it seems to me I removed it to lubricate as well. My memory is weak on this though. If you don't want to experiment I can quickly take mine appart for getting you detailed instructions. In any event, I don't remember having to do major surgery to fix mine.

Richard Dickson

#24 R Dickson

R Dickson

Lift Off

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

Okay, I just went and looked at my Q6. Mine was a little stiff too so I took it apart and relubed it. See pictures that may be upside down if they show up like on my phone.

The knob of mine has TWO 5/64" set scews and comes off easy.  A couple of brass washers hide under. The clutch knob has again, two set screws, 1/16" . One on mine hides where you can only get to it by pushing the lever in. So do the hidden one first so there is no load on it when you loosen it. Pull the knob straight up. Now you can get to the top of the ecentric and drive shaft. On mine, a little light oil loosened it up. You may have to put the lever back on temporarily to work the oil in.  I then just superlubed the washers and put it back together. Put the clutch lever as close to the base so that it still has room to operate. I made the mistake of not and its set screw applied force right to the thin part of the ecentric and caused the slow motion shaft to bind.

Good luck if you give it q try.

Richard Dickson

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0738.JPG
  • IMG_0737.JPG
  • IMG_0735.JPG
  • IMG_0736.JPG

• TerryWood likes this

#25 R Dickson

R Dickson

Lift Off

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

So my last photo was not meant to be there. I meant to PM it to Peter to prove I'm short an RA pointer. I will take that offline with him tomorrow.

Richard

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics