•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quantum 6 Bottom Fork Knob stiff

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 R Dickson

R Dickson

Lift Off

• Loc: Rockwood, TN

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:42 PM

One last post from me just to show a shot of my scope (and obviously home made dew shield).

Sorry again if up is not up. Not sure how to fix it.

Richard Dickson

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0739.JPG

• TerryWood and STE411 like this

#27 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:29 AM

That a good looking rig you have there! The one thing that did not come with my Q6 was the sliding dewshield. Was yours easy to construct? V/R Terry

#28 R Dickson

R Dickson

Lift Off

• Loc: Rockwood, TN

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

My dew shield was not as easy to make as I would have wished.If I remember I made it from layers of fiberglass mat and resin. I have no recall of how I formed it. I guess I somehow used the tube itself as a mold (protected of course somehow). I also know it was painted with the car paint that supposedly had the same code they used originally. I think it has aged a little differently than the tube a bit. It was a dead match when new. It is flocked inside with felt and forms a tight fit.

Richard

#29 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:00 PM

Hi Richard, I just read your narrative about how to lube and service the clutch.  It is very helpful, I'll give it a try.

my clutch has gotten a bit easier to use after some usage but is it still super stiff and almost painful to engage.

take care and thanks for the insight, also, I posted a question about an appropriate Bino viewer for my Q6 on a different posting.  Take a look if you have time.

eric

#30 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

Not sure if anybody is still following this thread but I have a clear answer to the stiff clutch.

it turns out that the rotating clutch knob has 2 set screws.

if you loosen those screws just a tiny bit ( not overlyyyyyy tightened ) then the whole knob rotates more freely.

it almost does not make sense, the set screws tork should not travel into brass nut o

an dntomthe steel shaft- but the force of the set screws DOES some how travel all the way down to the steel shaft.

So..... loosen the 2 set screws a tiny bit and all is much smoother.  They just have to be tight enough to be able to rotate the off center brass inside nut that surrounds the steel shaft.

• Matt Looby likes this

#31 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

Not sure if anybody is still following this thread but I have a clear answer to the stiff clutch.

it turns out that the rotating clutch knob has 2 set screws.

if you loosen those screws just a tiny bit ( not overlyyyyyy tightened ) then the whole knob rotates more freely.

it almost does not make sense, the set screws tork should not travel into brass nut o

an dntomthe steel shaft- but the force of the set screws DOES some how travel all the way down to the steel shaft.

So..... loosen the 2 set screws a tiny bit and all is much smoother.  They just have to be tight enough to be able to rotate the off center brass inside nut that surrounds the steel shaft.

Thanks-  I will give it a try!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics