•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pre goto SCT forkmounts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:17 AM

How many still use their Celestron and Meade SCTs on their original pre goto fork mounts 

#2 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

How many still use their Celestron and Meade SCTs on their original pre goto fork mounts 

I do with my astronomy students. 

Personally? I was over wedge mounted non-goto forks about ten years ago. :)

#3 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

I used a Meade LX-50 fork for about 3 years before deforking and going go-to last Spring. I could see the advantage in teaching, though. An equatorial fork gives a clearer illustration of R.A., Dec. and tracking than a German mount does.

#4 tomwall

tomwall

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

About 7 years ago I got my first fork mounted C8. I  didn't have enough money to buy a GOTO mount, so I pretended it was like my dob that had setting circles. I needed to hand calculate a conversion chart to take the hour angle markings to degrees, but it worked out OK. It was a fun project to play with. In the end, I found it was much faster to star hop using my right angle finder.

#5 Nippon

Nippon

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

That's what I thought. I've been tempted to put my C8 back on it's spur driven fork mount to enjoy the good old days. But perhaps the only thing good about the old days is I was a lot younger.

• tomwall likes this

#6 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:00 AM

I just bought a 4" LX3. It doesn't even have a hand controller. Once I get around to collimating it, I'll be using it as is (plus a laser pointer).

Steve.

#7 jcj380

jcj380

Apollo

• Loc: Chicago 'burbs. Bortle 7-8

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

I did for a couple of months when I got back into the hobby a year and a half ago.

#8 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

Guilty as charged. I find it a real pain to have to hand guide it for deep space photos, but am now settling in to use it for planet photos. Eventually I will go to a modern mount, but not real soon. That said, I still love the old set up and it's really great for visual use.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics