•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carton 60mm f7 refractor price?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nebula27

Nebula27

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium(near Antwerp)

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

I saw a used60mm Carton f7 refractor in good conditions for sale, so I would like to know what they are worth. I didn't find many information about the refractor, does it have a standard vixen-dovetail and a standard 1.25" focusser? For wich price do they normally sell used? I heard they have superb optics, how would they compare with a cheap 80mm-90mm achromat on the moon?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190211_171759.jpg
  • 20190211_171739.jpg

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

I saw a used60mm Carton f7 refractor in good conditions for sale, so I would like to know what they are worth. I didn't find many information about the refractor, does it have a standard vixen-dovetail and a standard 1.25" focusser? For wich price do they normally sell used? I heard they have superb optics, how would they compare with a cheap 80mm-90mm achromat on the moon?

I had a Park-Carton 60mm F/7 for a while.  It had decent optics, I would not call them exquisite  It was a cute little guy but I passed it on to someone who had a better use for it.  

Comparing it to a decent ST-80, based on my memory, I would put my money on the ST-80.  Compared to a decent 80mm F/11, it would be no contest.  

4584801-Parks 80mm F7 Number 2.jpg

Jon

#3 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

Prices for scopes like this are all over the board. I've seen some sell for $60-$100 with the last one on Goodwill's auction site being bid up to $150. They don't show up too often so it depends on who's shopping.  In a way I'd say they are only worth whatever you think is fair.

How they compare with a cheap 80mm or 90mm is a question that's too general to answer. Obviously a larger scope with the same F/L will be brighter and have higher power with the same eyepiece. 

From the above photo you can see it will take a 1.25" VB.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics