•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Illuminated Reticle EP for Celestron Polar Scope?

Celestron beginner equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZeusB

ZeusB

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

Just wondering. Is there a way to attach an illuminated reticle eyepiece to the (rather useless) Celestron polar scope? I've found it nearly impossible to make out the etchings in the dark. I know Celestron doesn't make one, but I was wondering (a) if I'm the only one with this problem, and if not, (b) what people smarter than I have done to remedy the problem. Thanks.

Edited by ZeusB, 11 February 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#2 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:12 PM

What about shining a red flashlight down at an angle into the objective end of the polar scope as you look through it?

• DuncanM and StrStrck like this

#3 w1828

w1828

Sputnik

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

I've tried that method. It works but IMHO, it's a bit awkward. In my CGEM, you have to hold the flashlight just right while looking through the polar scope and making adjustments with the other hand. I've wondered the same thing.

#4 tomwall

tomwall

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:22 PM

I don't have an exact answer to this issue, but I've had similar issues.

I bought an old etched finder eyepiece. The illuminator was broken. I removed it and placed a red LED light near the hole. It worked... sort of. To keep the light steady enough and correctly positioned, I needed a friend to hold the light.

Good Luck

T

#5 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

I found on CN a solution using a Mag penlight, a couple of cheap plumbing parts, red tape and adhesive felt and made my own for around $15 (the flashlight was 10 of that) and it works great. The holding a light sitting on the ground trying to turn knobs got old fast. 

• ZeusB likes this

#6 ZeusB

ZeusB

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

What about shining a red flashlight down at an angle into the objective end of the polar scope as you look through it?

Thanks. I have had limited success with that. It's an awkward procedure (especially with a bigger mount like a CGEM). I was hoping I was doing something wrong and there was a better fix.

#7 ZeusB

ZeusB

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

I found on CN a solution using a Mag penlight, a couple of cheap plumbing parts, red tape and adhesive felt and made my own for around $15 (the flashlight was 10 of that) and it works great. The holding a light sitting on the ground trying to turn knobs got old fast. 

I was thinking of something similar. Do you put the polar scope inside a pvc tube, then insert it into the mount and shine the penlight through the opening on the RA housing?

#8 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

I bought that polar scope and didn't realize the difficulty when using it in darkness. I use the "hold my red flashlight near the opening" method to see the reticle. I found this: https://www.youtube....h?v=Ry806-fQ0QI

Seems workable for the CGEM, not sure about other mounts. Haven't mustered the desire to implement it.

• ZeusB likes this

#9 ZeusB

ZeusB

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

I bought that polar scope and didn't realize the difficulty when using it in darkness. I use the "hold my red flashlight near the opening" method to see the reticle. I found this: https://www.youtube....h?v=Ry806-fQ0QI

Seems workable for the CGEM, not sure about other mounts. Haven't mustered the desire to implement it.

I saw that a while ago, and was going to try to muster up the courage to do it to my CGEM. I have a new AVX mount, and I hesitate to do surgery on it just yet. I was hoping for an EP solution.

#10 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

This is the build I went with. https://www.cloudyni...r-advanced-vx/ 

• ZeusB likes this

#11 ZeusB

ZeusB

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

This is the build I went with. https://www.cloudyni...r-advanced-vx/ 

Thank you!! That's what I will go with!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, beginner, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics