•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alternatives to Teamviewer or Ultra VNC

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

When you say you uninstalled TV, do you mean just with a typical uninstall from control panel, or did you do some other kind of deep clean?  

I submitted the form to try and convince them I'm not making millions of dollars using TV for commercial purposes, but perhaps I'll just try this and see what happens.  

I did an uninstall through the Control Panel, nothing deeper than that.  And then I did a fresh install of TV.  It has not challenged me again to prove I'm not a commercial entity.  Someday I'm sure I'll want to switch to something else, so I'll consider one of the other alternatives being discussed here when that time comes.

• buckeyestargazer likes this

#27 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

I never image away from my scope (i.e., I'm always on the same LAN), so I don't need internet access. That allows for the various VNC and similar options. I have a $100 stick PC at the scope, so it feels the pain of every CPU cycle. Originally, I was using TV, but I found it frustratingly sluggish on the stick PC, so I switched over to TightVNC. That runs *much* better than TV did. If I had a beefier computer at the scope, the difference may not have been noticeable, but it certainly was with my setup.

This article describes some of the VNC variants and their strengths/weaknesses. One of the strengths of TightVNC listed is its simplicity, including "Simple to configure on remote machines". Compare that with UltraVNC that you used, which has a con listed as "More complicated than other VNC alternatives". I realize that you may have settled on AnyDesk, and if so, I hope that it works well for you (I'm not familiar with it). But if you have issues, I second the vote for TightVNC. Don't let the complexity of UltraVNC scare you off of all of the VNC options.

Fair enough.  I've only looked at UltraVNC.  If needed in the future I'll give TightVNC a second look.  For now AnyDesk works well, and I think it is also less CPU intensive than TV.  I'll still use TV as a general rule (as long as the commercial license thing goes away), but AnyDesk is now my backup.

#28 Chris Boar

Chris Boar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:42 PM

I use MS remote desktop to access my (non-pro) Win10 control mini PC. There is an RDP stack you can install on the non pro Win 10 to get it to work. I access my control PC remotely in my office from my Imac, or if I’m setting up outside, locally with my ipad with the Remote desktop app. Had a few teething problems with connections dropping, but I seemed to have solved then for a pretty reliable link.

#29 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

I spent a bit of time messing with different programs last week. Finally I got fed up with laggy response and freeze ups. I took my longest 15 foot usb cable and connected it to my outdoor laptop and took the other end and pointed it as close to my house as possible and hooked up my logitech wifi direct mouse/keyboard usb dongle. I used the project to wireless display feature in windows and then went in my living room to control everything from my tv. It worked great, i stayed connected all night and could jump between tv and pc connection at will. There is a bit of lag if I watch a youtube video, but programs like phd and cartes du ciel were super snappy. I think a phenominal invention would be a wifi key/mouse dongle and wifi hdmi booster which lets the user connect 400 feet away. That would make our first world problems so much easier.

Edited by calypsob, 02 March 2019 - 12:06 PM.

• elmiko likes this

#30 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

I might be wrong, but if you have a working version of TeamViewer do not uninstall or upgrade it.

My experience with a recent installation was that it forced me to connect over the (slow) Internet. I contacted TV Support and was told if I wanted a 'peer to peer' LAN/WAN solution I had to pay for the commercial upgrade. My conclusion is that NEW TeamViewer installations to run on a local LAN/WAN are no longer "free". TV now want to check for all commercial use so will force you to embrace Internet connectivity, which I found too slow for my 'end to end' 4K UHD system.

A suggestion for Wes....

I now use Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop, but with a difference. Via Group Profiles, I disable 'RemoteFX Compression' (n.b. instructions are in the Celestron Telescope Forum where I started a thread about wireless control of CPWI which documents this tip). This screen data compression algorithm restricts data flow even over 802.11ac wireless or cat 6 cable. This can cause (say) 4k camera screen data to stutter. But release uncompressed screen data over a fast network and it will turbocharge your remote set up. This is not necessary with 1080p resolution set ups, but a great tip for 16 megapixel cameras.

It works whether using wireless or cat 6 cable. Distance is then not a problem with cable or suitable wireless extenders. You can have massive Mbps network capacity and Remote Desktop will still limit you to under 10 Mbps unless you disable RemoteFX compression. It's designed to prevent commercial networks being "throttled" by too much data. But is not necessary over your personal WAN/LAN. I spent a fortune upgrading my network, but it is this artificial compression that is the 'lag' and 'stutter' problem once you have greater than 802.11n. So why not release the full potential of your remote controlled rig.....disable 'RemoteFX Compression'.

Edited by Noah4x4, 03 March 2019 - 12:47 PM.

• elmiko and calypsob like this

#31 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • Loc: Dirty Jersey

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

OP, why dont you like TeamViewer anymore? I have been using it for a month, and it seems perfect.  

Oh, nevermind... so it eventually expires? Great, just when I thought life was perfect. 

Edited by nateman_doo, 03 March 2019 - 02:39 PM.

• calypsob likes this

#32 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

OP, why dont you like TeamViewer anymore? I have been using it for a month, and it seems perfect.  

Oh, nevermind... so it eventually expires? Great, just when I thought life was perfect. 

TV doesn't expire as far as I know.  TV is just about perfect...until they accuse you of using it in a commercial environment and make it really difficult to prove that you aren't.  If their servers think you're using it in a commercial environment you can still use it for a while but eventually it will lock you out.  Supposedly if you're just using it for personal use it will never expire.

#33 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

I have my rig semi-permanently setup in my backyard with a telegismos cover. I have a mini-PC mouted on the pier that does all the control and image capture through USB3.0 hubs and cables. It is connected to my home network with an Ethernet hard cable. I have been using TightVNC for a long time with no issues. It has worked quite well. I just downloaded and setup Anydesk and it was a piece of cake and works great also. 

• elmiko likes this

#34 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

I recently moved from TV to Chrome Remote Desktop because every 3 hours or so TV disconnects and gives me the “session timed out” message. I often setup 5-6 or even 7 hour imaging runs and the reason I wanted TV was to keep from having to babysit my gear so much. One evening, TV disconnected me 3 times in 4 hours with session timeouts. I have none of this with Chrome.

#35 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

TV doesn't expire as far as I know.  TV is just about perfect...until they accuse you of using it in a commercial environment and make it really difficult to prove that you aren't.  If their servers think you're using it in a commercial environment you can still use it for a while but eventually it will lock you out.  Supposedly if you're just using it for personal use it will never expire.

I wonder if it is your usage?  as cloudy as it has been by me I haven't used it that much.

#36 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

TV sessions do expire, but I'm not sure why. I've been using it for 8 years now and from time to time the session expires. It's no big deal for me though. I just log back in and I'm good to go. The fact that this can happen is one reason why my systems are always configured to have limits. Recently I had a TV session expire and my computer also froze up in some odd manner. When I got up in the morning the scope was pointed at the meridian and not at the ground. Even if the disconnects are not a feature, they can happen if there are communication issues. So, any remote solution running under automation must consider the possible errors and make sure that there is some fail safe mechanism in place. Or you can just stay up all night watching your system work.

Rgrds-Ross

#37 J.P.Kallinkoski

J.P.Kallinkoski

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Oulu, Finland

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

I have been using Real VNC for a couple of years remote control my home observatory and allsky camera.

VNC  server and VNC Viewer are also free to use.

Home Observatory setup is controlled by WIN10 PC .The PC is connected to my home wireless network/router. 

I remote control observatory with a second WIN10 computer , but sometimes Rasberry based all sky camera I remote in with my phone.

JP

#38 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

OP, when did your teamviewer start going haywire?  I have noticed that it used to run all night, now it runs for shorter and shorter periods, timing out.  Also transferring files its almost as slow as my dial-up modems were back in the 90s.  wondering if it runs like a champ at first, then gets worse and worse until they kick you off as an assumed corporate use. 

#39 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

OP, when did your teamviewer start going haywire?  I have noticed that it used to run all night, now it runs for shorter and shorter periods, timing out.  Also transferring files its almost as slow as my dial-up modems were back in the 90s.  wondering if it runs like a champ at first, then gets worse and worse until they kick you off as an assumed corporate use. 

The only problem I've had with TV is when it thinks I'm using it in a commercial environment.  When it works it works great and stays active all night long.  I don't use the file transfer so I don't know how fast that works.  I went through the process with TV and had the commercial use thing removed.  Now all is well.

#40 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

I switched from TightVNC (free) to AnyDesk (also free) both are working fine. I like AnyDesk better, but TightVNC work well for more than 3 years on multiple computers for me.

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#41 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

By offline I mean out in the field where there is no access to internet.  Chrome remote Desktop and many other solutions require internet service because the connection is routed through their online servers.

According to Google (via a users forum) CRD only uses the web to make the initial secure setup between the PCs and after that is done, one time, subsequent connections are made locally, if the internet is not available.

#42 dakinemaui

dakinemaui

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range Area

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:34 PM

I understand I can use direct IP address, but who wants to remember IP addresses for the 8 devices I maintain (for myself and for others)?

You can edit the hosts file to give sensible names to the numeric addresses. For example, connect to "scopepc" after you define that name and tie it to the IP of that machine.

If you're not using static IPs, you can typically set a reservation in your router so a given computer always get the same dynamic IP address.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

#43 cuivienor

cuivienor

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:09 AM

As other have said, TV is pretty much the perfect product. It just works, it is fast and efficient, and is popular for those reasons. It used to be perfectly reliable, and technically, it is. But unfortunately the commercial use thing has made TV unreliable for a purely artificial reason... You never know when you are going to be accused of commercial use, and you have to jump through hoops to get recognized as a private user.... for each computer you use TV with!!

I tried to go through the process once, they said they couldn't verify I was a private user with a message urging me to buy a commercial license, or print, personally sign (preferably in blood), scan, and send over email a letter that swears I am using TV privately (with no guarantee of being approved). And you have to do that for each computer that uses TV. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. So I uninstalled TV and went with Chrome Remote Desktop.

CRD is an inferior product, but it works. It has issues with headless remote computers, but cheap HDMI monitor simulators, or mouse accessibility settings can take care of that. Maybe it's time to go over to ASIAir :p

Having tasted the perfection that TV is when it isn't accusing you of using them commercially without any evidence, if I were to ever have to choose a user friendly remote desktop solution in a corporate environment I'd go with them and pay the license. But their crackdown on private use is overzealous.

#44 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:56 AM

Mine is starting to time out after a few hours. I used to be able to transfer large stacks of files in a few minutes, but it's like I have been throttled like crazy, and it won't stay connected for more then a few hours. It used to stay connected for days on end. Wonder if they are getting ready to drop the "commercial" bomb on me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics