•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore FirstLight 10" or Apertura AD 10 Dobsonian

dob equipment
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Question for Asbytec:

I'm thinking of getting the ES 10".  I spoke with them and they will upgrade to a 2 speed focuser for $71 extra prior to shipping.  Do you think it is needed? worth it? or is the stock focuser easy to use?  Also do you think the 8 " is sufficient or  think the 10 " would be better.    What is your overall impression of the Explore Scientific Solid tube with the big semicircular bearings?

I was talking previously and someone else mentioned the aesthetic differences between the ES 10 and the AD 10.  After looking at some more pictures of the 
ES I'm starting to think it's a sexy looking scope.  Previously I was hooked on the sleek black apertura with the silver bearings but I'm thinking the Explore Scientific may have it beat.  Just another thought to confuse my choice.  Thanks again all.

I am sorry for missing your question earlier. I'd say the dual speed focuser is nice enough to consider getting it. I am (or was until the recent price hike). The focuser itself is fine without it, but being accustomed to a longer focal length MCT and fine focusing, I find focusing is a bit finicky to my touch. I manage so its not necessary, but it is nice to have. Worth it? At $71 it was worth considering. At 1.5x that price and additional shipping cost to the Philippines, I may have to pass and refine my touch of the stock focuser. I never used a fine focuser in my previous Dobs, so it may just be a matter of learning to focus, again. 

I'd recommend either the 8 or the 10", but might sway you toward the 10". In my view and in my experience, I appreciate the larger alt bearings for holding the scope in position and much easier and assured balance. I had trouble with my previous Dob with smooth bearings and a friction adjustment. I never could find a sweet spot between friction and smooth movement with adequate balance. I would hope all Dobs would come with adequate alt bearings, large ones if necessary. IMO, it's just the way to go. And yes, that are sexy. smile.gif

As for your question earlier, I added a RACI and a fan with a power bank power supply. That's it. I recommend a fan. I also modded the diagonal with a washer for easier collimation and put a Sharpie to the edge of the diagonal mirror to dampen reflection of stray light in my area - you know how neighbors are. :) 

Edited by Asbytec, 10 March 2019 - 07:05 PM.

• Jomar likes this

#52 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

• Loc: Rye, NH

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the ES FirstLight 10" to keep in Texas. It won't get built up until the end of the month, but my plan is to take it to the Texas Star Party at the end of April. Looks like a good, no-frills scope.

• Jomar likes this

#53 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the ES FirstLight 10" to keep in Texas. It won't get built up until the end of the month, but my plan is to take it to the Texas Star Party at the end of April. Looks like a good, no-frills scope.

Wyatt, I know of only a few folks who own these scopes. Now you. :) I'd like to know how you like it. 

• WyattDavis and Jomar like this

#54 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

Hi Norme. I will definitely put up some impressions after the Texas Star Party.

I am going to be reviewing some of the optimizations you and others did and using them when I build it. I still have my milk jug secondary washer from my XT10 and will definitely be doing that, and soaping of the bearings seems to be in order, along with some strategic counterweighting to offset a Paracorr + 2" EP + finder scopes and the installation of a primary mirror fan.

I'm also taking delivery of a Teeter 10" dob (which will stay in New Hampshire) at NEAF in early April. By late-May I should have some good perspective on how these two perform in comparison to one another.

• Asbytec likes this

#55 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

Wyatt, I added a fan and a USB 1/2 Kg powerbank to offset the additional weight of the RACI finder and plenty of power. Technically, it needs to be hanging from under the OTA, but it's just fine above it. It even holds my 20mm Nagler down to about 30 degrees...I do not observe that low, anyway. I wait till it get's higher. I actually like the semi baffled primary mirror cell, it has a hole in the center that accepts an 80mm fan (which is plenty) while keeping the air close to the mirror. 

IMG20181218171804.jpg

Edited by Asbytec, 11 March 2019 - 01:53 PM.

• Jomar likes this

#56 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

Hmm. Cool use of the battery as a counterweight...

• mrsjeff and Jomar like this

#57 Jomar

Jomar

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:55 AM

I guess I'm part of a small group of ES Firstlight 10" Dob owners.  I spoke to ES during the purchase and they said they were flying off the shelves so maybe this dob design is catching on. I received mine yesterday but won't have a chance to open it until probably the weekend.  I'll let you know my impressions.

The fan setup looks great.  I may have missed it but do you have any equipment details?  I was wondering how many Ah/mAh the battery is and how long it will power the fan. 

#58 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

Mine is 2000 mAh and powers a 5 volt USB fan for about a week. I keep the PowerBank charged most of the time, so I really have only an idea of how long it might last.
  • WyattDavis likes this

#59 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:02 AM

I just got the ES FL 10". Here are a few initial notes from the build:  https://www.cloudyni...uild/?p=9231015

• Asbytec likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics