•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where to put a reminder to turn off the red dot finder

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 LasVegasMikey

LasVegasMikey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:56 AM

+1 for ‘I do that too’. (Including not recognizing the reminder prompt). 

I liked the idea about doing what the pilots do but my mind immediately raced to something that I’ve seen in the movies. Specifically it is the big red strap attached to some critical component (generally, a warhead arming device). As we all know, they don’t let the airplane take off until all the straps have been removed.   

My thought is to attach a big flowing nuisance ribbon to the red dot finder. It should be easy enough to brush out of my way while I complete the alignment but enough of an obstacle that I’d make sure to remove it for regular telescope use. (Now if I can only remember to go buy some ribbon LOL)

#27 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:39 AM

+1 for ‘I do that too’. (Including not recognizing the reminder prompt). 

I liked the idea about doing what the pilots do but my mind immediately raced to something that I’ve seen in the movies. Specifically it is the big red strap attached to some critical component (generally, a warhead arming device). As we all know, they don’t let the airplane take off until all the straps have been removed.   

My thought is to attach a big flowing nuisance ribbon to the red dot finder. It should be easy enough to brush out of my way while I complete the alignment but enough of an obstacle that I’d make sure to remove it for regular telescope use. (Now if I can only remember to go buy some ribbon LOL)

I would remember to remove the red ribbon, but then forget to reaffix it. I must never to go parachuting. Would pull my ripcord, but probably forget to repack it. 

#28 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

I bought a padded blue zipper bag for my fork-mount C8  20+ years ago. When I deforked it, I kept using the bag.  I eventually added a RDF.  I wrote in black marker on the top (zipper side) of the bag, "Turn finder off", on both sides of the zipper.  I still carry spare batteries.

Some innovative company needs to come up with a timer... maybe thin flat contacts insulated from each other, attached to timer, to insert into the battery drawer under / over the battery so that the current flow goes thru the contacts to get to the device.

Jim H.

#29 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

I bought a padded blue zipper bag for my fork-mount C8  20+ years ago. When I deforked it, I kept using the bag.  I eventually added a RDF.  I wrote in black marker on the top (zipper side) of the bag, "Turn finder off", on both sides of the zipper.  I still carry spare batteries.

Some innovative company needs to come up with a timer... maybe thin flat contacts insulated from each other, attached to timer, to insert into the battery drawer under / over the battery so that the current flow goes thru the contacts to get to the device.

Jim H.

Homebrew project:

http://www.garbz.com...red-dot-finder/

You'd think one of the astro gear manufacturers would make a red dot finder with auto-shutoff.  It's not like they are selling inkjet printers and making money off of the expendables...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• roelb, TOMDEY, Jim4321 and 2 others like this

#30 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

I think its that the "red dot finder" is a BB gun site and they would not want this mod.  But let's say the mod coast an extra dollar to add (way over priced) and they charged us an extra $2.  Wouldn't take too many batteries or a night of frustration to pay for itself!  Now I need to add that circuit to my RACI and 20mm with crosshairs, not quite as easy, relegated the red dot to storage long ago.

Edited by Lemonhawk, 14 February 2019 - 07:47 PM.

#31 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Yep, several of them started as BB gun sights but the mounts are definitely for telescopes and also there are several unity finders (the "official" name for these) which are new designs not based on BB gun sights.  I guess we just haven't been complaining loud enough or to the right people about the need for auto-shutoff :-)

#32 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

I hooked another led to the underneath  of my rdf and Telrad so I can actually see if it's still on. I just added a 33 ohm resistor to one of the led legs and put it in parallel with the finders led. It will turn on and off using the units switch. The 33 ohm resistor will keep it dim so not to drain to much of the battery. 

• Earthbound1 likes this

#33 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

The answer has already been mentioned. After leaving mine on a few times and having to change the batteries I bought a 20 pack from Amazon on the cheap.

Just having the extra batteries in the Astronomy Tackle box (I don't even have to see them) has fixed my memory issues. Kinda like washing your car to make it rain.

As a pilot that has experienced a green laser to the cockpit it is good to see someone mention checking for airplanes.

#34 Earthbound1

Earthbound1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gordo, Alabama

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

Replace the on/off switch with a push-button or micro-switch.

Most excellent solution!!! Thank you!!! I'm going to do this immediately!!!

#35 Earthbound1

Earthbound1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gordo, Alabama

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

I hooked another led to the underneath of my rdf and Telrad so I can actually see if it's still on. I just added a 33 ohm resistor to one of the led legs and put it in parallel with the finders led. It will turn on and off using the units switch. The 33 ohm resistor will keep it dim so not to drain to much of the battery.

Good solution for remembering to turn it off. Not so sure you're going to save any battery life while it's on since the resistor does it's job by, well, resisting the current which it does by restricting the flow of electrons which causes a slight increase in heat which it then dissipates through the air. Same principle as dew heaters... But still a good solution to the OP's problem and not that serious of a drain to battery life if it's turned off when not in use. If you see the dim light on... Turn it off! Works for me... Saves battery life and $$$ THAT way! Thanks Wire

Edited by Earthbound1, 16 February 2019 - 01:31 PM.

• Wire likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics