•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can one laptop control Mach 1 and CGEM Mount with scopes at same time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geothomas

geothomas

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Huntsville, Alabama

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

If I have a Mach 1 with a Edge HD11, with astro camera ZWO 1600MM, ZWO filter wheel, and OAG with guide camera and an autofocuser, and I also have a CGEM with DSLR Nikon camera, guidescope and QHY guide camera and an autofocuser, can I control both at the same time on one computer?  I would like to use two instances of  SGP  running concurrently, but if not, then SGP for the Mach 1/Edge scope and Backyard Nikon for my DSLR/CGEM setup. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

Not positive but they might have to be operating in 2 different virtual machines because I think they need their own set of resources. Might need to run under Linux or maybe MS 2012 Server Essentials. VMware or Hyper-V would make it easy, maybe even Mac running 2 Win emulators (I have not been in the Mac world in a long time so its a guess). Whatever they both can't share resources and they should not even be able to see them either. That's my guess off the top of my head. You could always give it a try. I don't think it would screw anything up, but if one session crashes the other will also I think. Windows does not handle crashes well, unlike a real multi-tasking OS otherwise we would not have to reboot everytime new software and patches are needed.

#3 Erik30

Erik30

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:37 PM

I tried to do this with two iOptron mounts and SGP.   I created two virtual machines on my Win 10 PC (Pro) and then connected the mounts.  They worked from time to time, but very flaky..   The issue I had were how the virtual machine used the USB and Com ports.  You set the Com port in Device manager and it works... But, crashes a lot too.  The Main OS see's the connection and then refreshes the connected hardware list. When this happens, the VM connection drops.  You can go back and set it up again, but it is a pain.. As in it happens a lot.  

I gave up on the two Virtual machines and bought a fanless PC to control one of the mounts. I RDP to that PC with the laptop I'm using on the other, this way there's no crashing when the OS looks for connected equipment.  It is of course more money to spend, but I saved all that back by not having to buy aspirin for my headaches. 

• psandelle and OldManSky like this

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

Astroart7 can probably do it, since you can run two separate instances of it simultaneously and each AA7 LAA executable will run in it's own memory space on Win10/64.

You can test it with the demo:

http://www.msb-astro...com/down_en.htm

and it should be able to control all your hardware.

Another alternative is to run two PCs and control one from the other using Google's Chrome Remote Desktop.

Edited by DuncanM, 11 February 2019 - 10:14 PM.

• geothomas likes this

#5 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:30 PM

I have two mounts an AP-900 & an AP-1600.

Two scopes a Refractor and a CDK.

Two copies of SGP.

Two copies of PHD2.

Planewave software controlling the focuser on the CDK.

Optec software controlling the refractor focuser.

Two copies of planetarium software for pointing the scopes.

I use two (old) laptops, I need to maintain my sanity, there ain't much left.

I tried using one laptop to switch between the two and it was a COM port nightmare.

Edited by sink45ny, 11 February 2019 - 10:32 PM.

• psandelle and geothomas like this

#6 geothomas

geothomas

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Huntsville, Alabama

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

I have two mounts an AP-900 & an AP-1600.

Two scopes a Refractor and a CDK.

Two copies of SGP.

Two copies of PHD2.

Planewave software controlling the focuser on the CDK.

Optec software controlling the refractor focuser.

Two copies of planetarium software for pointing the scopes.

I use two (old) laptops, I need to maintain my sanity, there ain't much left.

I tried using one laptop to switch between the two and it was a COM port nightmare.

I think I will go ahead and use two computers to control the two mounts. It does seem like I can run multiple instances of Remote Desktop, so I should be able to control both from inside the house using a 3rd computer that will Remote into the two computers.

• psandelle and sink45ny like this

#7 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:03 AM

I think I will go ahead and use two computers to control the two mounts. It does seem like I can run multiple instances of Remote Desktop, so I should be able to control both from inside the house using a 3rd computer that will Remote into the two computers.

That's the path I took.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics