•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Q3.5...the Manny Mota of my lineup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:32 AM

Given that my Q7, TEC180 and Celestron Edge HD are the 3-4-5 hitters of my lineup, my mind has occasionally pondered the heretical thought of selling my Q3.5...after all, it's been close to a year since I've used it. However, it was a night such as tonight that reminded me just how important a purpose my "baby' Questar fills, and how invaluable it is.

The weather out in Northern California has been abysmal, at least from an astronomical perspective, since the terrible Camp fire in early November. The smoke and haze gave way to winter forthwith, resulting in my having exactly one night of observable weather in January, where I employed my cleanup hitter, the TEC180, to easily pick off E and F in the Trap and plow through several double stars.

I had batted .000 in February due to the rain and clouds - until tonight. Predictions were for cloudy skies and intermittent rain tonight in advance of more rain tomorrow and a gully washer on Wednesday, so once again I would have another rain delay in my efforts to observe Lunar X and V - something that simply has never worked out yet in the 4 years I have been fully back into astronomy. 

The predicted time, as posted by fellow CNer Dana Thompson (who in January of 2018 selflessly spent several emails educating me on Lunar X, V and the Curtiss Cross), was 6:16 pm local time. Incredibly, right around 6:00 pm, the clouds parted and the Moon was almost straight overhead, crystal clear and ready to put on a show. 

I was so excited that this time I was going to hit a home run by finally observing X and V. With about 10 minutes to get something set up, and not knowing when the clouds and showers were going to fill the sky once more, I looked at my line-up: 

The TEC180? Since it's permanently mounted, it wouldn't take toooo long to get ready, but if the clouds rushed back and it started raining, in all my gimpiness there was no way I could get it covered up in time...and considering the contract and signing bonus on that thing - no way I was going to risk it!

Q7? Not even warming up in the bullpen, much less mounted, and the second highest contract on the team...pass.

Celestron Edge 14"? Without any fan support - Wrong answer McFly!!!

11" Teeter? Injured reserve.

APM 120 Binos? Not looking for a bunter here - need at least SOME power.

And then the solution became dumbfoundedly obvious - it was time for Manny Mota, baseball's greatest pinch-hitter of all time, to come to the plate. He could enter the game quickly, get on base, and exit just as quickly before any rain delay.

In the span of 3 minutes I had my Q3.5 out of the case, legs on, and pointing towards the Moon with a 16mm Brandon. There, in incredibly sharp detail, lay Lunar X and, farther along the Terminator, Lunar V, in amazing splendor. A flick of the toggle and a single became a double. In went the 12mm Brandon, and a triple and home run were next. It was amazing what my pinch hitter could do...just as it had done when I chose it to travel with me up to Madras, Oregon for the total Solar Eclipse in 2017.

And just as quickly as the clouds had parted, they pushed in, obliterating the Moon and its partial alphabet. With such an easy time of packing the Q3.5 back up, there was no worry of being caught in a rain delay.

It is safe to say that my Q3.5 is one pinch hitter that will forever be on my team and ready to perform flawlessly at a moment's notice!

Edited by Codbear, 12 February 2019 - 02:39 AM.

• davidmcgo, cbwerner, Erik Bakker and 9 others like this

#2 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Suffolk, UK 🇬🇧

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:40 AM

I have absolutely no idea what all that (baseball) jargon meant but that was a pukka (excellent) story which perfectly describes why you should NOT sell your Questar. Fantastic read.

• davidmcgo, terraclarke, JamesMStephens and 2 others like this

#3 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

• Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

I have absolutely no idea what all that (baseball) jargon meant but that was a pukka (excellent) story which perfectly describes why you should NOT sell your Questar. Fantastic read.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Thanks for the great story and report, Codbear!

smp

• Codbear likes this

#4 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

I couldn't have said it any better!

Thanks for the great story and report, Codbear!

smp

Pragmatist and Spereira,

Thank you for the kudos. My goal was to make what I experienced last night analogous to baseball but to make sure the heart of the story came through regardless of whether or not the readers were a baseball fan or not. I am happy I succeeded. However the story is told, the star of the night was the Questar 3.5!

Spereira...I'm curious how you use your TeleVue 85 and the Q 3.5. Both are of similar aperture, but very different performers.

Edited by Codbear, 13 February 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#5 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

Given that my Q7, TEC180 and Celestron Edge HD are the 3-4-5 hitters of my lineup, my mind has occasionally pondered the heretical thought of selling my Q3.5...after all, it's been close to a year since I've used it.”

ohmy.png

Blasphemy I say! Shear Blasphemy!!

I’m so happy you reconsidered and the story had a happy ending! whew.gif

Questar 3.5 = :love:

• Codbear likes this

#6 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

• Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

spereira...I'm curious how you use your TeleVue 85 and the Q 3.5. Both are of similar aperture, but very different performers.

I use my TV-85 primarily with my Quark Chromosphere for daytime solar viewing.  My Q3.5 is my primary nighttime scope, when it isn't too cold or too snowy/sleety/rainy, as it has been so much of my winter, starting back in November.

I've purchased a C6 OTA for a bit more aperture, and I'm going to purchase an iOptron Az Pro mount sometime soon (spring!).  That mount will be able to handle any of my scopes.  I'm wondering what the cost would be to change my Q3.5 Standard into a Duplex, so that it would also be able to be used with that new mount - or maybe not.  I love the Q just as it is.

I have so many ideas that cost so much money...  lol.gif

smp

Edited by spereira, 12 February 2019 - 03:15 PM.

• Codbear likes this

#7 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

I think the economical approach is to sell the standard and buy a duplex. Plenty of market for both and you should break even. The factory cost to convert to Duplex doesn’t pencil out economically.

#8 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

Maybe someone can translate Codbear's great post into cricket terminology for Pragmatist!

• Codbear and Pragmatist like this

#9 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

Given that my Q7, TEC180 and Celestron Edge HD are the 3-4-5 hitters of my lineup, my mind has occasionally pondered the heretical thought of selling my Q3.5...after all, it's been close to a year since I've used it.”

ohmy.png

Blasphemy I say! Shear Blasphemy!!

I’m so happy you reconsidered and the story had a happy ending! whew.gif

Questar 3.5 = love.gif

Terra...Having drooled over Questar ads from the age of 12 in 1971, I don't think I could ever actually sell my beloved Q3.5.

But if I had gone temporarily insane and had decided to, I think my story would have resembled more of a Greek Tragedy instead! lol.gif

• TerryWood, terraclarke and rcwolpert like this

#10 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:10 AM

Maybe someone can translate Codbear's great post into cricket terminology for Pragmatist!

James - had a great laugh with that comment!

• JamesMStephens likes this

#11 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Suffolk, UK 🇬🇧

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

Now that I would understand

• JamesMStephens likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics