•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron Rescue 4" Photo Equatorial.

classic refractor
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#126 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

Looks good now but it was very dirty. This was by far the most difficult objective to remove from its cell. I had apply even pressure to slide the elements out of the cell cause it was so tight. Fine corrosion and dirt particles were the culprit. Once everything was clean it gently slid back in the cell. Nerve racking!

Would be interesting to see how it tests in DPAC.  These early lenses were all very good.  The early ones I tested in DPAC were excellent. 

• rolo and Bomber Bob like this

#127 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

Hey Rolo, is this you out in the garage tweaking your new find?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2A0353CC-204F-4EE4-A5D9-6E798D4FD661.jpeg

• rolo, Exnihilo, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#128 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:43 PM

Would be interesting to see how it tests in DPAC.  These early lenses were all very good.  The early ones I tested in DPAC were excellent. 

Eventually I'll DPAC it.

Hey Rolo, is this you out in the garage tweaking your new find?

Pretty much lol.gif

#129 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

Heck, now I may have to up my evening attire game to observe with you......

• rolo, Toups, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#130 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

Rolled out the  scope for first light last night. Mainly did star testing and a few easy objects. The star test is very nice, possibly the best of four 4" Unitrons I've owned but that's going by memory. The Orion Nebula was excellent but I would say my late model Unitron 152 with the green coatings my have had slightly better contrast. Hard to say for sure since it wasn't a side by side.The trapezium was very nice showing both E & F companions. Used a 1.25 adapter with various eyepieces. Meade smoothie Plossls and super-wides mainly the 24.5mm & 18mm smoothies to Nagler Type 6's  5mm, 7mm,9mm,11mm,13mm,and 16mm. All performed beautifully. I compared the old first gen 7mm Nagler vs the newer 7mm Type 6 and the difference while not a lot is certainly noticeable. The 7mm type 6 is an improvement. Also looked at Rigel and its companion, and M35. Seeing wasn't great and the breeze was annoying but it was fun never the less. Looking forward to trying it out on Jupiter later this spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• 160-2.jpg

• davidmcgo, ltha, Jim Curry and 16 others like this

#131 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

Not rolling mine out anytime soon.....

Attached Thumbnails

• C5B75F4E-A4A6-4543-942E-6876533AF01B.jpeg

• rolo, Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#132 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

Rolled out the  scope for first light last night. Mainly did star testing and a few easy objects. The star test is very nice, possibly the best of four 4" Unitrons I've owned but that's going by memory. The Orion Nebula was excellent but I would say my late model Unitron 152 with the green coatings my have had slightly better contrast. Hard to say for sure since it wasn't a side by side.The trapezium was very nice showing both E & F companions. Used a 1.25 adapter with various eyepieces. Meade smoothie Plossls and super-wides mainly the 24.5mm & 18mm smoothies to Nagler Type 6's  5mm, 7mm,9mm,11mm,13mm,and 16mm. All performed beautifully. I compared the old first gen 7mm Nagler vs the newer 7mm Type 6 and the difference while not a lot is certainly noticeable. The 7mm type 6 is an improvement. Also looked at Rigel and its companion, and M35. Seeing wasn't great and the breeze was annoying but it was fun never the less. Looking forward to trying it out on Jupiter later this spring.

That is one beautiful looking set-up!!  It's enough to get me buying scopes again!  Well, almost. undecided.gif

• rolo and terraclarke like this

#133 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Yikes!  And it has been near 90f here the last week.

Edited by CHASLX200, 25 February 2019 - 07:00 PM.

#134 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

That is one beautiful looking set-up!!  It's enough to get me buying scopes again!  Well, almost. undecided.gif

Well, you're within driving distancewink.gif

• rcwolpert likes this

#135 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

Looks like Atlanta did last year. This year has been one the coldest that I can remember.

#136 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:34 PM

That's sure is a beautiful telescope.

My very first Sky & Telescope is from 1967 I still have it.

What's interesting is I cut out the 'send for free catalog' from the Unitron ad, Edmund, and Jaegers.

A 4 inch refractor was and still is what I think is the ultimate instrument.

Robert

• rolo and terraclarke like this

#137 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

Looks like Atlanta did last year. This year has been one the coldest that I can remember.

My driveway is about 1000 feet long and had 16” to 20” of snow covering it. Had the Polaris Ranger out for hours trying to get it plowed......oh, and a snow shovel for the places the Polaris doesn’t work. Not sure which I used more. I’ll ask my back in the morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 47E64044-02B7-4E68-9E27-C5FAACDE60E8.jpeg

Edited by ltha, 25 February 2019 - 09:50 PM.

• sgorton99 likes this

#138 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:16 AM

Wo bet you miss Long Beach right now!  Is this something you'll have to take into consideration when building your observatory?

BTW, Today I mailed the lady that I bought the Unitron from some $$ for packing and shipping the 220 camera. . Hopefully I'll have It next week.

• terraclarke, Geo31 and BFaucett like this

#139 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

That's sure is a beautiful telescope.
My very first Sky & Telescope is from 1967 I still have it.
What's interesting is I cut out the 'send for free catalog' from the Unitron ad, Edmund, and Jaegers.
A 4 inch refractor was and still is what I think is the ultimate instrument.

Robert

I completely agree! A 4” refractor truly hits the sweet spot! Still portable but show a lot with nice detail. I’ll just take mine shorter these days! wink.gif
  • rolo, clamchip, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#140 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:17 AM

Wo bet you miss Long Beach right now!  Is this something you'll have to take into consideration when building your observatory?

BTW, Today I mailed the lady that I bought the Unitron from some $$ for packing and shipping the 220 camera. . Hopefully I'll have It next week.

Glad you were able to get the Unitron camera. I once owned one and it was really cool. Sold it unused however as the sheet film/plate thing was too much to deal with.

Yes on the snow here impacting the observatory. Anything you build here had to take snow and winds into account but lots of folks across the country have much the same. 

Miss So Cal? I miss the “seeing”. In So Cal almost every day was “70 degrees and sunny” which I found monotonous. Plus, everything I enjoyed doing required a drive through LA traffic. Congestion, noise, crappy air, chemically treated drinking water. Crime. Maybe a couple hundred stars visible on a good night. Skiing there became such a pain in the butt I stopped years ago. After cleaning up the driveways this morning I am putting on my skis, stepping off the porch and skiing the loop around the Deschutes and Twin Bridges. I may even take my fishing gear and fish from skis. Crystal clear and clean air, pure water, no crowds or traffic. And, if the next storm moves through in a day or two, there will be clear views on the Milky Way.

• rolo, starman876, ScottAstroNut and 6 others like this

#141 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

Glad you were able to get the Unitron camera. I once owned one and it was really cool. Sold it unused however as the sheet film/plate thing was too much to deal with.

Well, I still haven't received the camera despite sending $50 for shipping. The lady doesn't reply to my text asking if the camera had shipped. Hope she's alright.

Looks like I'll probably need to sell this scope anyways. Once again medication costs are an issue. It never fails that just when things seem to be under control, they make some changes and back to square one. In my condition, its like adding insult to injury!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics