•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Frankenstein scopes"!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:10 AM

Every once in a while one sees some strange critters, while visiting for sale websites.

I have some admiration for those very handy people, managing to build this kind of eh... equipment.
However: whether it results in a decent (or even a functioning) microscope remains to be seen...

In the first picture, it appears the foot of the microscope is from an Olympus BH series microscope. The limb is from an Olympus BH-2 series microscope. The binocular tube is from a Reichert Zetopan. The nosepiece is from unknown descent, as well as the prism containing housing, coupling the microscope tube to the binocular tube. Buy at your own risk...

The second picture shows another strange creature: the limb, nosepiece, binocular tube are from a German WILL/Hund V-series microscope. The foot appears to be from an older PZO-microscope. The condenser is probably from still another brand. Again: buy at your own risk...

Frankensteinscope01.JPG

Frankensteinscope02.JPG

#2 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:50 AM

It is entirely possible that these microscopes could work very well.  A lot of microscopes have standardized parts -- Think of the eyepieces on a telescope and you'll get my drift.

What process were being asked for these units?

#3 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

I think I see duct tape on microscope #1

#4 Blind as an Eagle

Blind as an Eagle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:51 AM

Is there an Abbe-normal Koenig somewhere in the mix?

Attached Thumbnails

• FRANK.png

#5 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:39 AM

It is entirely possible that these microscopes could work very well.  A lot of microscopes have standardized parts -- Think of the eyepieces on a telescope and you'll get my drift.

What process were being asked for these units?

It is entirely possible indeed, but then again it might not.

You're right on the fact that some dimensions of microscope parts are standardized: eyepiece diameter, 160mm objective screw tread and so on.

But some are not, even though some microscope manufacturers pushed hard to come up with a standard.

At the time, Zeiss pushed hard to achieve a standard condenser diameter,  but to no availl.

Ironically, only the Japanese "arch enemy",  Olympus accepted it. For some time. That's why Zeiss condensers for the Zeiss Standard Junior KF can be used on Olympus stands of the 1950's - 1960's era (An olympus GB stand from the 1950's, equipped with a Zeiss Standard Junior KF phase condenser and Zeiss phase objectives remains a great tool for pond dipping!).

And even within the same brand and the same era, there are often compatibility issues.

Only one example of the many: the legendary, black, entry-level, Leitz SM microscope came in numerous versions. There were 3 variations on condenser carrier, resulting in 3 different condensers who weren't interchangeable. There were several variations on the focussing controls, who weren't interchangeable, and so on.

Edited by Microscopy, 21 September 2019 - 05:44 AM.

#6 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

I think I see duct tape on microscope #1

Looks more like velcro strips. possibly to attach a temporary light shield to eliminate unwanted stray light?

Grey

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics