•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO071MC OR QHY168C?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:30 AM

Dear all,

I have the oportunity to buy ONE of those cameras. My main imaging scope is the SW ESPRIT120ED. For those who have any experience with BOTH cameras, which one you would recommend considering: image quality, ease of use, durability or any other issue that you consider important. Right now, price is not an issue. Also, any reporting comparing both cameras are very wellcome.

Thanks in advance, Fernando

#2 vdb

vdb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

I have both ASI and QHY camera's, for APS and bigger I prefer QHY, I just acquired the 168C so I cannot really say anything about it, other than it just works, hopefully some first test shots later this week ...

The reason I "trust" QHY more is the fact that I've read some complaints on ASI and bigger chips, that said "m also very happy with the 183 ... 

/Yves

#3 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:41 AM

I have both ASI and QHY camera's, for APS and bigger I prefer QHY, I just acquired the 168C so I cannot really say anything about it, other than it just works, hopefully some first test shots later this week ...

The reason I "trust" QHY more is the fact that I've read some complaints on ASI and bigger chips, that said "m also very happy with the 183 ... 

/Yves

Thanks!!! Looking foward to your shots! Regards, Fernando

#4 AdamJ

AdamJ

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

I have never heard anyone complain about the QHY168c....not so for the ASI071pro and certainly not so for its predecessor.

#5 ezwheels

ezwheels

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Based solely on my copy of the camera, past reviews and issues, and the slow and unsatisfactory response from ZWO, I can not recommend the 071MC-Pro. I have no experience with the QHY version so I guess I can only offer advice on half of what you are asking. 

#6 Konihlav

Konihlav

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

it's a Chinese roulette :-) 50/50 chances. BTW I had many times QHY, I had many times issues. I had few times ZWO and I had only very few issues :-) Currently I trust more ZWO though it's true that the bigger chips would likely require more powerful heating of the optical window (I cool down my camera slowly and never run it too cold). On QHY I had many times issues of all kind so hard to say...

• ezwheels likes this

#7 bill5wjw

bill5wjw

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

I agree with Konihlav, it’s a chance you take with both companies. I’m looking at the same model, plus considering the QHY-10. After thoroughly reviewing both websites and reading the questions from existing customers having problems with cameras they have purchased, I’m having second thoughts. Consider the QHY-168C and ZWO ASI071-customers are having issues with moisture. Another issue is images not down loading. It’s frustrating to have to pay thousands of dollars on a device that may not be reliable. Just venting, sorry.

#8 vdb

vdb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

Used the QHY 168C last night, no issues, no dew issues, cooled -20C it behaved perfect, no issues with connection/imaging/platesolve/focussing ....

Seems rather low in noise used it at Gain:10 (unity?) and offset:74

/Yves

#9 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

I have the QHY168C and its a lovely OSC camera but it needs to be treated correctly- a good quality connection to your computer is a must and believe it or not USB2 seems to work better than USB3 at least on my computer. I use a powered hub & experience very few issues.

• elmiko likes this

#10 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

I recently ordered a QHY294C based on some testing done with AndySea, who recently got a copy of the camera (although had to exchange it for one with a better seated sensor). The claims QHY makes on their site of its performance at 1600 gain were impressive and seemed almost too good to be true. I'll let Andy share the screenshot of the numbers we saw, but 1.7e noise, 14.5ke- full well, which is right around 13.1 stops of DR -- was very cool. Something to consider if you are shopping for a OSC. I plan to use this one with a RASA8 at a local dark sky site only. 

#11 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Dear all, thank you all for your thoughtful answers. It helps a lot!!! I couple of weeks ago, I read someone here complaining about the ZWO071 frozing while imaging; and it was not the first thread on this issue... It is amazing and I understand as something that could not happen!!! I am in Brasil, a very small market. I am quite sure that the US must be the largest market in the world. My guess is that some pressure should be done; maybe through the dealers in the US. This thought just crossed my mind...

I started a new post on the QHY247C. It is about US$2,000,00. It is kind of a lot of money. But I will turn 70 this year. Working part time now. Kids are grown ups, each one in a different city. Life is short. As my wife and I play with the kids, we are now going through a SKIN (Spending Kids INheritance) phase...lol.gif

I just realized that I have two QHY cameras: Polemaster, for about 5 years and a 224C, as guide camera for about 2 years. No issues at all. They are so quite there , in the dark, that I had forgotten about them.

Thanks again, regards, Fernando

#12 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

I ordered the "other" camera initially and it worked okay for a week or so. Then it started to ice up all over the sensor and produced weird condensation grid lines where moisture had condensed on a factory fitted "dirty" sensor. I immediately rejected the camera as not being fit for purpose and will never buy that brand again. I've had no trouble with QHY other than a few driver issues that have got better in later revisions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics