I've been working on my image processing, and having the occasional success along the way - but one thing I've not been able to fix is the sense that my stars overall are a bit more bloaty than they should be. Trying to figure out whether this is fixable in processing or not.
I pulled down a copy of RawTherapee, and fumbled about with my raws until I managed to get it to display the RGB and L channels. Aha! R and L stars are crisp and tight, G has a dark ring or two, but otherwise similar to R and L, but B is bloaty, as I expected it might be. I gather that this is because the blue is slightly out of focus, relative to the other colors.
I'm wondering if there's a way to preprocess the raws so that the Blue channel image gets shrunk back on top of (say) the Red. Refocusing in software, if you will, using one or more of the other channels to define the result of an ideally focused lens, and then correcting the Blue image to conform to that.
Gear and Software involved:
Software: DSS v4.1, Startools v1.4, and RawTherapee v5.5
Scope: SV 102EDT