•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NIKON D850 - Help? - DC power not working for me

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MDVolle

MDVolle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:30 AM

Having trouble field powering a Nikon D850...

A little background;

I have had several Nikon DSLR's - most recently a Nikon D800e and there is a readily available EP-5B power cord that slides in in place of a battery.

Sold separately, there is Nikon power supply that connects to the adapter and the wall AC.

I replaced the connector on the end of the EP-5B and connected a small DC-DC buck type converter to take my usual 12VDC field power to 8VDC for the camera and things worked perfectly with the D800e

Purchasing the D850, which uses the same batteries and the same adapter, I thought my power problems were already solved.

The Nikon power supply has a 9VDC 4.5A output - so I tried beefing up my power supply but the D850 will not turn on - it does the little battery scan and then flashes an empty battery icon.

I have tried using heavier wire, adding caps to the power feed near the camera, using different power sources.

My latest attempt was to connect a high quality bench supply set for 9VDC and 10A output to the adapter - no go - still the flashing empty battery icon

ALL of the various attempts were also tried on the D800 and they ALL work fine on the D800.

Anyone have experience or suggestions on this?

I do not really want to purchase the Nikon power supply and then have to also add an inverter to my scope rig - I have managed to keep the entire setup working from 12VDC so far.

I have also not been able to confirm that the Nikon supply actually works on the D850 - although it is listed as working.

The connection to the adapter is only two wires, so there doesn't seem to be any sensing or signaling?

I am a bit baffled and even went so far as cracking open the adapter - there is a small circuit board that looks like its probably the same one as is inside a battery pack and has the connecting socket for the camera on it - the two wires connect to the circuit board - then the circuit board connects to the camera.

Batteries work fine in either camera - just not the power adapter....

definitely a cloudy sky....

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics