•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Russell optics 2" 52mm RKE

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• topic starter
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:58 AM

Any tried this EP before? Thoughts, reviews?

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

Any tried this EP before? Thoughts, reviews?

I owned two Russells about 16 years ago.  Along with a couple of Rinis they were my first wide field eyepieces.  I loved my first wide field eyepieces until I got to try other wide field eyepieces.  And I noticed the old timers enjoying the view through my scope but figuring out excuses as to why they should bring their own eyepiece to look.

I will say this my Russells taught me the meaning of ghosting.  Perhaps he makes them differently now.

But they got me up and running when money was very tight.  You know it's not bad to be young and surviving mostly on Ramen noodles as you go through school.  But you don't want to eat that way forever.

Greg N

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Soyuz

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

I have two Russell eye pieces at this time: 15mm Konig and 18mm Konig.  They are both bright and sharp, but as gnowellsct says, they do ghost.  My skies don't support using the 15mm often, and I have another 18mm I prefer to the Russell Optics.  I did see The Pup with the 18mm, though, so there is that.

All that said, I did just order a 42mm from Mr. Russell.  Compared to a Panoptic or ES68 the price was too good not to try it.  I may flock the inside of the barrel if there is a ghosting problem to see if that helps.  If I decide I don't like it, I'll be in the market for an antique Optiluxe (direct replacement), another XL40, or a Panoptic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics