•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some EEA observations with a "vintage" setup...

EAA DIY observing report ccd
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lambda

Lambda

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:38 AM

Hello. smile.gif

Here, I dare to present some humbles results obtained in EEA mode with a quite old and also humble material, but with wich I have a lot of pleasure to try to do observations in my hihly light polluted area. It allows me to have access to deep sky objects I would otherwise never be able to reach with equivalent optical aperture in pure visual mode...

Here is the current setting (quite vintage... smile.gif ):

- Camera Orion Starshooter Deep Space Imager II monochrome (SSDSMI-2): sensor ICX429ALL

- Driver: Maxim DL (vers. 1.09)

- Projection lens, LOMO: D=80 mm, F=160 mm, F/D=2

- mini laptop Medion "akoya", Windows XP...

Here in the French forum Webastro.net, you can see the obtained results in this thread, with observation and camera settling details (in French, but easy to follow on atechnical point of view...) 

https://www.webastro...ais-vintages-d/

Sorry, no picture in this first post of this thread... better to refer to the above link which contains lot of them and also videos + tests.

I will introduce, if needed and requested, pictures/videos here for illustrating our future potential discussion...

As I said, very humble results and set-up compared to what is disclosed here... But the idea is to work with low budget, a maximum DIY and with a compact configuration on simple video/photo tripod... settled in 3 mn...

See you.

Thanks,

Lambda

Edited by Lambda, 14 February 2019 - 06:39 AM.

• Ptarmigan, mclewis1, CharlesC and 6 others like this

#2 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

I really like your ingenuity, using whatever materials were handy to assemble a working imaging system.  I especially like the use of an old mitre box to attach the camera to your mount.  Awesome!

Cheers,

Jim T.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

Very nice. 

Years ago we used to see quite a few projects using fast projector lenses. Today it seems that similar lenses aren't usually as "fast" optically. I think because we have much better light sources in the projectors, plus the projector "sensors" are physically much smaller and therefore don't need the big better corrected optics that were so popular years ago. There are also lots of inexpensive short focal length C-mount lenses available these days.

#4 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

Very resourceful. Nice shot of Barnard's Loop.

#5 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

That is really cool. cool.gif waytogo.gif bow.gif

#6 Lambda

Lambda

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:08 AM

Hello! smile.gif

Thank you very much for all your words. smile.gif

The DIY belongs really to the pleasure of this activity...

(Barnard loop shot is not from me.. wink.gif I think it came from here! and was cited in this thread by one member of our little French EEA community...

For the objective, exact, On one end, efficiency of sensors associated to concerns about miniaturizing optics, for daily and "terrestrial" application, left behind this kind of old chunk of glass... But on the other end it is a priceless source of optics part for our own weird and exotic nocturnal and "celestial" applications, here! smile.gif

They can be blamed for providing some optical and achromatic aberrations, but surprisingly, when coupled to small chip sensor like the 1/2" format, they allow to use the most corrected optical part of said lens, near the optical axis...

And, they are still reasonably reachable for low budget...

Here some pictures for rendering the thread a bit more friendly and avoiding to click on the link cited above, if not too much interested by the subject...

M95, M96:

frame: 5s (refreshing of the screen each about 5s, when observing... "true" EEA mode)

stack: 51x5s=255s

automatic subtraction of the dark (mean of 10 frames) for each frame, in EEA mode

Left picture: stack result obtained after observation.

Right picture: unitary frame (5s), no post treatment

bin 2x2.

358219175_bilanduo.JPG.840271606c9b59427

M65, M66, NGC3628:

frame: 5s (refreshing of the screen each about 5s, when observing... "true" EEA mode)

stack: 45x5s=225s

automatic subtraction of the dark (mean of 10 frames) for each frame, in EEA mode

Left picture: stack result obtained after observation.

bin 2x2.

1028511417_Bilantrio.JPG.76e6afe6f80469a

M51:

frame: 4s (refreshing of the screen each about 5s, when observing... "true" EEA mode)

stack: 9x4s=36s (low battery of my laptop at this moment... No time to do more...)

no Dark (night at -1°C/-2°C)

Bottom picture: stack result obtained after observation.

Top picture: unitary frame (4s), no post treatment

bin 2x2.

Bilan_M51.JPG.9646013ababd9b28bd6b711d67

See you,

Lambda

Edited by Lambda, 15 February 2019 - 06:17 AM.

• roelb likes this

#7 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

Hello! smile.gif

Thank you very much for all your words. smile.gif

The DIY belongs really to the pleasure of this activity...

(Barnard loop shot is not from me.. wink.gif I think it came from here! and was cited in this thread by one member of our little French EEA community...

For the objective, exact, On one end, efficiency of sensors associated to concerns about miniaturizing optics, for daily and "terrestrial" application, left behind this kind of old chunk of glass... But on the other end it is a priceless source of optics part for our own weird and exotic nocturnal and "celestial" applications, here! smile.gif

They can be blamed for providing some optical and achromatic aberrations, but surprisingly, when coupled to small chip sensor like the 1/2" format, they allow to use the most corrected optical part of said lens, near the optical axis...

And, they are still reasonably reachable for low budget...

Here some pictures for rendering the thread a bit more friendly and avoiding to click on the link cited above, if not too much interested by the subject...

M95, M96:

stack: 51x5s=255s

Left picture: stack result obtained after observation.

bin 2x2.

358219175_bilanduo.JPG.840271606c9b59427

M65, M66, NGC3628:

stack: 45x5s=225s

Left picture: stack result obtained after observation.

bin 2x2.

1028511417_Bilantrio.JPG.76e6afe6f80469a

M51:

frame: 4s (refreshing of the screen each about 5s, when observing... "true" EEA mode)

stack: 9x4s=36s (low battery of my laptop at this moment... No time to do more...)

no Dark (night at -1°C/-2°C)

Bottom picture: stack result obtained after observation.

Top picture: unitary frame (4s), no post treatment

bin 2x2.

Bilan_M51.JPG.9646013ababd9b28bd6b711d67

See you,

Lambda

If this is the so called "true EAA mode" it reminds me of the days when I lived in very dark skies and used my 18" Dob providing low resolution faint blurry fuzzy's. It was okay back then but the hunger for better views hit me especially when I had to move to a more light polluted area. My observing views are much more rewarding to me now than back then using my C11 at f/5 and ASI224 color camera.

Steve

• Lambda likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, DIY, observing report, ccd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics