•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino box donor suggestions

ATM binoculars beginner DIY refractor
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

I'm very new to astronomy having looked through a scope for the first time in January. I really enjoy DIY and would like to build a three mirror binucular telescope or perhaps a Bino Box in the vein of Mr Bill's project.

https://www.cloudyni...r/#entry4832410

I'd like suggestions for cheap donor scopes or sources. One thought (thanks Glenn) involves stacking two refractor OTAs, shortening the tube on the one further from the eye.

Any suggestions for readily available (read cheap and plentiful) refractors, objectives, secondary mirrors, diagonals, focusers, eypieces and other paraphernalia that might prove handy? If you have a junk box or garage full of stuff you no longer use this may be your opportunity. I'm cheap but I'm easy. ;-)   

I can pick up a Meade Infinity 102 at a reasonable price but the focal ration of f/5.9 might be a little long for this application. With all the experience here someone should be able to get me headed in the right direction even if it is image reversed and upside down.

Thanks in advance for any donations, especially intellectual ones.

Take care,

Brent

#2 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

I'm dismantling and parting out my Bino Box....

Are you interested in the Istar 127mm F/5.5 achromat objectives that I have?

Also have two 3.1 inch diagonals holders with enhanced mirrors

Edited by Mr. Bill, 14 February 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#3 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Mr Bill I'll send you a PM.

#4 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

PM sent.

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

I'm dismantling and parting out my Bino Box....

Are you interested in the Istar 127mm F/5.5 achromat objectives that I have?

Also have two 3.1 inch diagonals holders with enhanced mirrors

Why Bill?

And Why not sell it complete?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

Had my fun building it.....want to give someone the fun of building their own DIY.

Can't buy these Istar objectives new anymore; excellent glass.

Will post in Classified.

#7 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:57 AM

Will post in Classified.

Thank you Bill. We don't want to have selling entries in normal fora.

• Jeff Struve likes this

#8 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:58 AM

Hello,

I'm very new to astronomy having looked through a scope for the first time in January. I really enjoy DIY and would like to build a three mirror binucular telescope or perhaps a Bino Box in the vein of Mr Bill's project.

https://www.cloudyni...r/#entry4832410

I'd like suggestions for cheap donor scopes or sources. One thought (thanks Glenn) involves stacking two refractor OTAs, shortening the tube on the one further from the eye.

Any suggestions for readily available (read cheap and plentiful) refractors, objectives, secondary mirrors, diagonals, focusers, eypieces and other paraphernalia that might prove handy? If you have a junk box or garage full of stuff you no longer use this may be your opportunity. I'm cheap but I'm easy. ;-)   

I can pick up a Meade Infinity 102 at a reasonable price but the focal ration of f/5.9 might be a little long for this application. With all the experience here someone should be able to get me headed in the right direction even if it is image reversed and upside down.

Thanks in advance for any donations, especially intellectual ones.

Take care,

Brent

You can put as WANTED ad in classified. Just advice that CN has a rich verity of Ads in classified and we do not use the forum.

• Jeff Struve likes this

#9 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for any confusion. My original post does not ask to buy any specific item. It asks for suggestions for equipment that I should look for. Are those requests generally placed in classifieds?

I admit I made an apparently obtuse attempt at humor when asking for donations, especially intellectual ones.

As soon as Mr Bill mentioned his equipment I responded via PM so as not to conduct transactional business here.

I'm seeking unbiased expertise, not something generally found in want ads. Please let me know if I've come to the wrong place.

Take care,
Brent

#10 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

Sorry for any confusion. My original post does not ask to buy any specific item. It asks for suggestions for equipment that I should look for. Are those requests generally placed in classifieds?

I admit I made an apparently obtuse attempt at humor when asking for donations, especially intellectual ones.

As soon as Mr Bill mentioned his equipment I responded via PM so as not to conduct transactional business here.

I'm seeking unbiased expertise, not something generally found in want ads. Please let me know if I've come to the wrong place.

Take care,
Brent

You are alright brother.

You can ask question How and Where to buy but it seems that you are asking for buying here in the the forum.

Anyhow, I apologize if I understood wrong. As a MOD; I sometime panic :)

• Jeff Struve likes this

#11 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

No worries. Thanks for keeping the fora useful and focused. It seems no one has suggestions at any rate, so I'll learn by trial and error.

Take care,

Brent

• Jeff Struve likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, binoculars, beginner, DIY, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics