•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion redux after about 3 years of progress (M42)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 roofkid

roofkid

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been doing astrophotography for a little over three years now. I think I have come a long way in that time and learned a lot. When my girlfriend recently asked me for an image of the orion nebula for a large sized print I though "No, the old image wasn't too bad but you can do it better now".

So I got to work to create an image that is matching my current level of skill in this hobby. I want to share my result with you today.
Since the Orion Nebula is the brightest nebula in the northern hemisphere it is the easiest and one of the toughest to image well at the same time. You definitely need to do HDR when you have a camera like me and you want to capture the core and outer faint nebulosity.

The weather really made this image a challenge as I had not a single clear night from mid of November to mid of January. But with enough patience I finally managed to get the ~16h of exposure time done.

I opted for a different approach here and did not capture luminance but rather captured a lot of HA which I combined with a pseudo luminance from the RGB channels for the whole detail information. I'm still not sure if it was a good choice but I am happy with the final image. I hope you enjoy it :)

get.jpg?insecure

For comparison, here's a link to my first image: https://www.astrobin.com/270901/

• Gregory, psandelle, geethq and 7 others like this

#2 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

Looking good, thanks for sharing.

#3 roofkid

roofkid

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Steve for the kind words and to all who have liked the post :) I appreciate you taking the time!

Sven

• sink45ny likes this

#4 astronate

astronate

Sputnik

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

Sven,

The new one is amazing but the old one is very good too.

What do you think has made the most improvement to your images?  It looks like you used the same equipment but were able to get more acquisition time on the new image.

-Nathan

• roofkid likes this

#5 roofkid

roofkid

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:51 AM

Hi Nathan,

thank you very much :)

I thought about your question for a bit and here's my answer:

1) getting a focus motor so I could do autofocus routines

2) using an off-axis guider

3) improving my cable management so my telescope is balanced properly in all 3 axis

4) being more patient and gathering more data, the stars are not going anywhere

5) improving my processing

It's hard to judge which has had the biggest impact but I noticed visible improvements in my data/end results on all of these improvements.

Cheers,

Sven

• Maxnorge likes this

#6 Ronski

Ronski

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:56 PM

Wow Sven! I hope I can get to the point you are at.  I have been doing astrophotography since December. I am able to capture and stack several images at this point. Processing leaves a lot to be desired. Pictures like this are an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing

• roofkid likes this

#7 roofkid

roofkid

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Thank you Ronski! I appreciate this very much. This is one of the reasons why I post images, to encourage others. 2-3 months is nothing in this hobby I would say. So keep on going! 

• Maxnorge likes this

#8 Maxnorge

Maxnorge

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

What a fantastic picture! Both of them, in fact, but in the last you managed to capture and bring our far more details of the cloud. I was wondering what software I should get for my entry to AP and now I know - must me Pixinsight.

Hope your girlfriend is happy too. This is what we do nowadays when they ask for a Moon, - we go out, picture and bring it to their knees, right?

• roofkid likes this

#9 roofkid

roofkid

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:26 PM

Hi Max,

thank you very much :) Indeed that was the main point, to extract more faint nebulosity in the outer regions. This is mainly an attribute of exposure time and using the HA filter for this purpose. I definitely recommend learning Pixinsight as it is very helpful in all areas. However I use a large array of software for different purposes. 

- AstroPixelProcessor for all preprocessing tasks

- Pixinsight for main processing

- Straton for star removal

- Photoshop for sharpening and working on structure enhancement

If I would need to recommend just one software, than my recommendation is to get/learn Pixinsight.

• Maxnorge likes this

#10 Maxnorge

Maxnorge

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:18 AM

Thank you, Sven. I am gathering a library of links to astrophoto processing software that I will take and evaluate trial versions of before investing in it and also a typical use by experienced peers. Have not heard about Straton before and neither a need to remove stars. I guess I will cross this road once I feel I have too many start in my nebulae shots - I am yet to make the first one .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics