•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY 247C

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:14 AM

Dear all,

I have been deep sky imaging with DSLRs (Canon 6D unmod and Canon 50D modiffied) since I start imaging deep sky objects, about 2 years ago. I have been thinking about CMOS cameras to control temperature. I do not have much knowledge about this kind of cameras, although I have been reading about it in my spare time.

With the QHY247C, what I would expect to imagine? Would be like the Canon 6D or the 50D?

I am sorry if this a bit confusing...trying to learn here...bugeyes.gif  As compared to the Canons, is there a "complex" learning curve?

Thanks in advance, regards, Fernando

• agmoonsolns likes this

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:35 AM

Well, Sony IMX193 sensor which is used in this camera is also found in the Nikon D5300 and D5500 cameras. Those are sensitive cameras so it's a good choice.

As for learning. Computer is then mandatory to use, and use of imaging software.

But processing is much like with DSLR raw files.

#3 AdamJ

AdamJ

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

Dear all,

I have been deep sky imaging with DSLRs (Canon 6D unmod and Canon 50D modiffied) since I start imaging deep sky objects, about 2 years ago. I have been thinking about CMOS cameras to control temperature. I do not have much knowledge about this kind of cameras, although I have been reading about it in my spare time.

With the QHY247C, what I would expect to imagine? Would be like the Canon 6D or the 50D?

I am sorry if this a bit confusing...trying to learn here...bugeyes.gif  As compared to the Canons, is there a "complex" learning curve?

Thanks in advance, regards, Fernando

As above, you have to use a PC to control the camera which you may have been doing with the DSLR anyway. After that there is very little difference, you can gather calibration frames with ease due to set point cooling and you will notice a large improvement in image quality relative to your DSLRs. 

The sensor in the QHY247c is a great choice, the top end of APS sized OSC cameras available at the moment. Its not that popular though as its allot more expensive than the QHY168c and most don't want to pay the extra. 

Adam 

#4 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:10 AM

As above, you have to use a PC to control the camera which you may have been doing with the DSLR anyway. After that there is very little difference, you can gather calibration frames with ease due to set point cooling and you will notice a large improvement in image quality relative to your DSLRs. 

The sensor in the QHY247c is a great choice, the top end of APS sized OSC cameras available at the moment. Its not that popular though as its allot more expensive than the QHY168c and most don't want to pay the extra. 

Adam 

Adam, thanks for the info!!! I will get the QHY247C this coming month. Regards, Fernando

#5 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hi Fernando,

I was one of the first beta testers of the QHY247C.  You can see my thread on the progress here.  It's definitely a great camera.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  If you browse around my site for my recent images, they're generally all done with this camera.

Beo

• Adlanphere likes this

#6 Fernando134

Fernando134

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

Hi Fernando,

I was one of the first beta testers of the QHY247C.  You can see my thread on the progress here.  It's definitely a great camera.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  If you browse around my site for my recent images, they're generally all done with this camera.

Beo

Thanks Beo. I will do that. Regards, Fernando

#7 lucutes

lucutes

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

If you want to take it a step further you could browse any pictures involving the Nikon D3300, D3400, D5300, D5500, D5600.

Edited by lucutes, 18 February 2019 - 11:02 AM.

#8 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

If you want to take it a step further you could browse any pictures involving the Nikon D3300, D3400, D5300, D5500, D5600.

The difference, of course, is the camera cooler, as well as QHY's proprietary amp noise circuitry.  So while for daylight images the other cameras will give you an idea of picture scale, etc., they won't be a direct comparison for astrophotography.

Beo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics