•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In praise of tiny binocs.

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#126 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:20 PM

Albie,

I have the "classic" version of that 7X26.

My understanding is that the Elite model is an improvement and superb in every way.

A "keeper" for lifetime.

You actually let those go too?!!

"Had" is sad in this case.

Condolences again,

Eric

I've done that with a few nice binoculars over the years , let them go and wish I hadn't . Never bought any binocular twice though , not yet anyways . About a month or so ago I was following the sale of a pair of 7x26 Elite Custom's that were in like new condition . Around $200 , good price . After a week or two I decided to go for it and they were gone , didn't know if they were sold or withdrawn .  Lost while snoozing , oh well . Binoculars come and go , some stick around longer than others .

#127 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:30 PM

My favorite tiny binocular is the black Nikon 7x15M CF. It ‘s image quality over it’s modest 50-ish degrees AFOV is stunning and this tiny reversed porro makes the already small Leica 8x20 Trinovid and Ultravid look like giant instruments.

• Jae, WALL.E, nowhere and 1 other like this

#128 Charleybird

Charleybird

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:59 PM

There's only £10 difference between the Leica UV 8x20 and the Kowa Prominar Genesis 8x22.

I've never used either.  Which of these two is easier to use, to carry, and which of them has the better view?

#129 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nevada, USA 36 N 115W

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:58 AM

Albie you are right about the 6x25 and 7x26.  I think I have the 7x26 you show here, and  thanks!  They are nice for a larger coat pocket.  Between the two, I like the edge in brightness and colors of the 7x26 especially in daytime, and the slightly better edge-of-field sharpness and extra degree of true field with the older 6x25.  Under dark skies these are plenty enjoyable for astronomy.

#130 ov1vas

ov1vas

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Country: Venezuela - City: Caracas

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:58 PM

Hello everybody.
I want to consult the community about a new purchase that I want to make of 2 vintage binoculars
I am looking at an auction to buy one of these 2 binoculars:

Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 (7 *) Bak4
Made in Japan 1976
or
KOMZ БШЦ2 6x24 (11.5 *) Bak4
Made in Russia 1975

Assuming the 2 binoculars are in perfect condition and each costs $ 10.

Which of the 2 models would you choose to have it in the car to carry out "with daylight", quick observations from the distance of highway signs and see wide landscapes from the car.

I am looking for a binocular that is small and when I put it in front of my eyes, it has a fast focus and a very pleasant view.

I appreciate your recommendations

#131 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

I have a treasured Tasco world class 8x25 roof prism compact. the brightness is astounding for 25mm objectives. 4 binos in the series and maybe the best optics Tasco ever made.

at the time Tasco used the best roof prisms available they said.

of course today Tasco binos are utter complete krap.

it has an all-metal body for real shockproofness.

jump.gif

Edited by Binobumpkin, 15 July 2021 - 10:16 AM.

#132 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:48 AM

Just received a pair of Maven 7x28 binoculars. For a pocket binocular I was surprised how well they do for astronomy. Way better then my Nikon 8x25. Plus the 7x and 4mm exit pupil makes them one of the most comfortable pocket binocular I’ve ever used 

small exit pupils are not fun

#133 nowhere

nowhere

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver

Posted 15 July 2021 - 09:39 PM

My favorite tiny binocular is the black Nikon 7x15M CF. It ‘s image quality over it’s modest 50-ish degrees AFOV is stunning and this tiny reversed porro makes the already small Leica 8x20 Trinovid and Ultravid look like giant instruments.

I bought my wife the 6X15 as an "opera glass" for when we go to concerts again. I just wanted something that was optically decent, small enough for the tiny purse she usually carries to concerts and a little elegant looking at least. When we got it I was amazed at the quality of the image and the high level of materials and build! She's been keeping it at the ready on her study and frequently uses it on the spur of the moment for everything from birdwatching to the casual peek at the Moon.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#134 jprideaux

jprideaux

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:21 PM

I have a number of larger binoculars but today I was on a sailboat "sunset cruise" and wanted to bring something along just to look at other boats and things as we went along.  Often for these types of things I would bring my Canon 10x42IS binoculars but today I decided to bring my little Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II binoculars since they were so small and light.  For this outing, they were very nice to use.  The 6.5x was a good magnification for being on the boat and there was plenty of light for the small 21mm objectives.  I had previously only used these for close-focus observations but they worked well for a general purpose daytime binocular as well.    Of course they are really great to focus on something just a couple feet away!  For astronomy, though, I would chose a larger pair.

• paulsky and ihf like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics