•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding a Red Dot Finder (RDF) to an angled Spotting Scope (Pentax PF-80ED-A) – Pictures

refractor equipment accessories DIY
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:33 AM

Hi,

After enjoying the nice terrestrial views provided by my Tele Vue TV-60 telescope, I realized that I wanted a larger, dedicated scope for terrestrial viewing, so I recently made the leap and purchased a moderately priced Pentax PF-80ED-A Angled Spotting Scope that I plan to take on trips to mountains, active volcanoes, tropical rain forests, beaches, etc., places where waterproofing is an important feature.  While touring, I would also like to be able to use the scope at night for casual observing.

Aiming an angled spotting scope at terrestrial objects in broad daylight is not a problem, but star hopping with it at night without any kind of finder was tough for me, so I had to device a way to add a finder real soon.  Luckily, I was inspired by the mounting solution that Tele Vue designed for their TV-60 scope, where a finder (the Qwik Point RDF) rides on the sliding dew shield.

Unlike the TV-60, the dew shield of the Pentax PF-80ED Spotting Scope is not pre-drilled to accept a finder base and I was not about to start making holes in mine, so I made the choice of using plastic cable ties to attach the mounting base that comes included with the Tele Vue Qwik Point Finder as the least invasive but still sufficiently rigid mounting solution to install a lightweight, plastic RDF: A TV Qwik Point for daylight use and a Stellarvue F1 finder for astronomy.

After gathering and properly assembling all the parts, the finder installation on my Pentax spotting scope went ahead smoothly and I was able to successfully align both RDFs (TeleVue and Stellarvue) to aim the scope accurately on terrestrial and astronomical objects –I already tested it on both types of applications.  From now on, I can easily point my spotting scope to any object, including fast moving ones like birds, airplanes, artificial satellites, etc. and I can also share with other viewers the position of the object being observed!

If any of you have considered adding a finder to your spotting scope and have no objection about the impact on the scope aesthetics, here is a series of pictures that will show you what is needed (a dew shield parallel to the scope optical axis is a must) and how it goes together.  I have read about other spotting scope owners using plastic ties to add a finder to their scopes, but unfortunately pictures are rarely posted, I hope that you find these useful!

List of Parts required:

- Tele Vue (QBT-1006) Qwik Point Red Dot Reflex Finder with mounting base (QPA-1004) included.

http://www.televue.c..._page.asp?id=65

- 15 inch long, black plastic (Nylon) cable ties.  The ones that I used were from a pack of 3M (CT15BK50-C) 15in, 50lb that I found at my local hardware store.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.c...sr=8-8-fkmrnull

- Self-Adhesive Cork Pads to protect the scope from scratches and to prevent the finder base from slipping.   Same as before, I went for what was available at my local hardware store and just cut to the needed size:  ProsSource 1-inch diameter, round Cork Pads, pack of 12.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.c...sr=8-3-fkmrnull

Attached Thumbnails

• RDFs-for-80mm-Spotting-Scope+15in-Plastic-Cable-Ties+Cork-Pads-crop-1024x614_125516.jpg
  • 3M-CT15BK50-C-black-15in-50lb-plastic-Cable-Ties-crop-600x600_154740.jpg

• BFaucett likes this

#2 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:37 AM

(Continued)

One advantage of using the Tele Vue finder base included with the Qwik Point RDF is that it has hollow sections at the left and right sides, so it is much easier to drill holes or perforate.  I used a strong hobby knife and tapped with a hammer to open a slit just wide enough to let the plastic cable tie to go through.  Once assembled, the knot of the tie can be partially stored in the hollow sections.

Attached Thumbnails

• TeleVue-QPA-1004-QwikPoint-Finder-Adapter-Bar-crop-640x384_130734.jpg
  • TeleVue-QwikPoint-Finder-Adapter-Bar+Cable-Ties-640x384_144223.jpg
  • TeleVue-QwikPoint-Finder-Adapter-Bar+Cable-Ties-crop-480x480_143830.jpg

#3 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:39 AM

(Continued)

To avoid scratching the scope and to prevent the finder base from slipping without having to use double-sided tape (that can leave adhesive residue on the scope), I added self-adhesive cork pads to the bottom of the finder base.  Please note in the picture below how the knots of the cable ties just fit right in the hollow sections of the Qwik Point base, making them less visible.

Attached Thumbnails

• TeleVue-QwikPoint-Finder-Adapter-Bar+Cork+Cable-Ties-crop-480x480_145102.jpg
  • 15in-Plastic-Cable-Ties+TV-QwikPoint-Adapter-for-80mm-Spottin-Scope-crop-781x600_145622.jpg

#4 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:42 AM

(Continued)

Picture of the Tele Vue Qwik Point finder base firmly attached (by stretching the plastic cable ties to go as tightly as possible) to the sliding dew shield of the Pentax PF-80ED-A.  Notice that when mounting it, the ties avoided going over the printed logo to prevent marring the nice finish.  The scope as shown in the picture is mounted on a Manfrotto 501HDV fluid head.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pentax-PF-80ED-A-Spotting-Scope+Cable-Ties+QwikPoint-finder-base-crop-480x480_161309.jpg
  • Pentax-PF-80ED-A-Spotting-Scope+Cable-Ties+QwikPoint-finder-base-1495x897_161244.jpg

#5 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:43 AM

(Continued)

Once the mounting base is attached, the Red Dot Finder slides on it and is fixed in position with a Philips screw driver (also needed for the red dot adjustment).  Here is a picture of the Pentax PF-80ED-A Angled Spotting Scope with the Tele Vue Qwik Point Red Dot Finder attached and a Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pentax-PF-80ED-A-Spotting-Scope+TV-QwikPoint-RDF-1600x960_163246.jpg

#6 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:45 AM

(Continued)

Pictures of the rear and front view of the Pentax PF-80ED-A Spotting Scope with a Tele Vue Qwik Point RDF and Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pentax-PF-80ED-A-Spotting-Scope+TeleView-QwikPoint-RDF-rear-view-crop-989x989_162835.jpg
  • Pentax-PF-80ED-A-Spotting-Scope+TV-QwikPoint-RDF-front-view-crop-989x989_163612.jpg

#7 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:46 AM

(Continued)

Picture with a side-view of the Pentax PF-80ED-A Spotting Scope with the Tele Vue Qwik Point RDF and Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pentax-PF-80-ED-A-Spotting-Scope+TeleVue-QwikPoint-RDF-1600x960_162143.jpg

#8 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:48 AM

(Continued - last)

Picture of the Pentax PF-80ED-A Spotting Scope with the Tele Vue Qwik Point RDF and Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece.  The scope is mounted on a Manfrotto 475B photo tripod with 501HDV fluid head.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Thumbnails

• Pentax-PF-80ED-A-Spotting-Scope+TV-QwikPoint-RDF-810x1350_164148.jpg

• Paul Morow and avid_dk like this

#9 avid_dk

avid_dk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oregon, SW USA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

Excellent idea and implementation to say nothing of the great pictorial.  I will be doing the same to my Vortex Razor HD. 

• Castor likes this

#10 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:07 PM

Excellent idea and implementation to say nothing of the great pictorial.  I will be doing the same to my Vortex Razor HD. 

Thank you, I’m glad that you liked it! smile.gif

Be advised that the Tele Vue Qwik Point Red Dot Finder is too bright for most Astronomy applications, so getting an additional plastic RDF with gentler illumination is highly recommended –you can still use the Qwik Point for terrestrial use.  My favorite lightweight RDF is the Stellarvue F1 finder because of the large viewing window, the no-tools hand knobs for adjustment and the fully dimmable red LED, but other options from Baader, Antares, Celestron and Orion to mention a few also do a decent job for astro.  Here is a link for the Stellarvue and the Antares:

https://optcorp.com/...-red-dot-finder

https://agenaastro.c...dot-finder.html

Here are a few pictures comparing sizes of plastic RDFs that I posted after I purchased them for my TV-60 scope:

https://www.cloudyni...point-pictures/

Good luck adapting a finder for your Vortex Razor HD!

Edited by Castor, 16 February 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

How do you experience the views and compare them to those of your TV-76/60?

• Castor likes this

#12 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

Hi Erik,

I’m having a great time using my new spotting scope for terrestrial viewing –day and night.  The views using Pentax XW eyepieces are crystal clear (contrasty), bright and sharp!  Stellar images in my sample are not as clean as in my astronomical telescopes, though.  But I’m no expert at evaluating optics so that’s as far as I’ll go.

I just haven’t had much time to compare it side-by-side to my other refractors, but naturally the Pentax PF-80ED-A provides brighter images and with more resolution than my TV-60 and considering that both scopes weight about the same when setup for observing, the Pentax gets the nod for terrestrial use all the time.  I have not compared the PF-80ED-A to the TV-76 because I always preferred the TV-60 for terrestrial for its lighter weight and convenience.

I enjoyed the experience of using the Pentax PF-80ED-A for terrestrial viewing so much (I can use all my 1.25” XW, Radian, Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces with it) that a few days later (this week) I purchased the smaller Pentax PF-65ED-A to be able to take it to places where I wouldn’t expose my beloved TV-60 –I see it as an insurance policy.  IMHO the TV-60 has superior optics to my PF-65ED-A, no question about it.

I always wanted to have a nice quality spotting scope for terrestrial observing (I can’t afford the Alpha spotters) and I believe the duo of Pentax spotting scopes fulfil my basic needs in that regard!

Erik, thank you for sharing the pictures and inspiring comments of your experiences using your premium spotting scope! waytogo.gif 

• Erik Bakker likes this

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

Seems like these Pentax ED's are wonderful new additions to your stable Castor!

Very convenient that you can use them with your 1 1/4" astronomical eyepieces as well. That's a bridge to far with my ED82 spotting scope. But it's native eyepieces are too. Use that scope a lot, day and night.

• Castor likes this

#14 Castor

Castor

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:50 PM

Thank you Erik, yes they are wonderful new additions because they allow me to explore our own world (Earth) up close without worrying about unnecessarily exposing my astro telescopes to the elements, I simply can’t afford to replace them!

The ability to use regular astronomical eyepieces was one my reasons to go with Pentax –I know the Celestron Regal line of spotters also work with astro eyepieces, but since I already own a set of Pentax 1.25” eyepieces I preferred to err on the safe side.

Your Nikon ED82 spotting scope is what dreams are made of and I’m sure their eyepieces are a great match for their quality, I hope it continues to give you endless days and nights of enjoyment! smile.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, equipment, accessories, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics