•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clavius and Tycho 15 February 2019

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Foc

Foc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:48 AM

Still a little bit breezy for my light rig but a decent capture by my Alt-Az standards.  The moon provides some useful practice of using the scope for me before I get back to the planets. Image captured on a ASI120MC-S  through a Celestron C6  with 1.5 Barlow.  Used AS!3 and Registax (likely oversharpened) and trimmed image in GIMP.  Hope to eventually learn how to use GIMP to better control midtones.

This scope on its standard Evo mount is my new grab and go imager for this year and this is only my 3rd try at imaging with it. I might try hanging some weights under the mount to see if it steadies it against the wind as that seemed to help the lower mounted ETX 105 and perhaps obtain one of those wire style focus knob attachments for finer focus with the focus knob. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Tycho and Clavius 2019-02-15-1216_3-L-Moon_ZWO ASI120MC-S_Gain=50(off)_Exposure=7.jpg

• Carol L, Sunspot, Achernar and 16 others like this

#2 Tickr

Tickr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central TX, USA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Gorgeous!

#3 Foc

Foc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the kind words Tickr and all those who liked my image.  I hope this image indicates I am starting to get some feel for my new scope. At least I am now no longer causing chaos by dialing up the Hawaii time zone instead of that for AEST when doing my alignment!

#4 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:16 AM

Great pic! Wonderful!

#5 Foc

Foc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Uranotopia,

And I really enjoyed your posted achromat pics taken through your house windows.  The images were so sharp it seems you must need a substantial handicap in your set up or moon imaging would be too easy for you! 

#6 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Uranotopia,

And I really enjoyed your posted achromat pics taken through your house windows.  The images were so sharp it seems you must need a substantial handicap in your set up or moon imaging would be too easy for you! 

Thanks a lot!

#7 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

lovely image. well done. And sure doesn't look oversharpenend to me.

Wouter.

#8 Foc

Foc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Wouter,

It is good to have a bit of success on the moon and great to know there is so much more to image there. I even got a murmured 'not bad' from my 21 year old on this image!

#9 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

thats not such a bad pic for  6 inch did you research a possible motor focus ? that wood bee the best thing

#10 Foc

Foc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

Hi Ferret,

Not sure how close you are to 21 years laugh.gif   

But unlike my older son, I see that you have really mastered using a massive great piece of artillery on the heavens with great impact(s) and I expect to see many great images from you with a new angle (but still hitting the target) now that you have been reassigned a new location.

And yes, I have been looking at CN posts giving feedback on the Celestron motor focus. Compared to the 4 inch Mak the manual focus is much shallower in the C6 and I have been finding greater difficulties with focus. There have been a few issues described with the Celestron motor focus but it looks pretty good in terms of cost and function.

Me, I am not a techyphile and have little time for astro optimization outside of work and child duties (the toddler was still giving issues at 11.00pm last night) that installing and going through the learning curve on any new software refinement or equipment addition or tuning for my grab and go imaging is quite a challenge for me and very slowly adopted even with fairly simple improvements.  I have even have star sense sitting around at present in its box since the New Year sales! and I have not updated the software on my scope yet.

Edited by Foc, 05 March 2019 - 04:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics