•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Chart program with CUSTOM HORIZONS?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Dance

Daniel Dance

Eastern Voltage Research, LLC

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

I recently purchased a new house and am looking to having a number of trees cut down depending on their location in the sky.

In preparation of this, I would like to model what my horizons look like so I know which trees should be cut and if it makes any sense to begin with to cut trees.

Even with some of the trees cut, I will still only have localized corridors to shoot through.

My question, is there any astronomy programs out there that can let you create a custom horizon?

For example, I could measure the altitude of the visible horizon in 5 degree increments and then enter that information into the program.

Thanks
Dan

#2 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

Try Guide

If you are handy at hacking in C++ , the source code is available (and you can likely hack it to create custom, even adjustable, horizon boundary in the GUI).

Edited by Ian Robinson, 16 February 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#3 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Gemini

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

The very popular freeware planetarium program .... Stellarium ... does custom horizons. There are several different methods available:

http://stellarium.so...sing_Landscapes

• Mark326 likes this

#4 dawziecat

dawziecat

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

I did this with Stellarium. It is not a totally satisfactory solution but it works. Ideally one would want a line on the sky with the area "below treeline" still visible but perhaps shaded. Not possible. The area below the treeline is totally blacked.

Still, it is useful. And it is free.

What might not be readily apparent is how much of a nuisance it is to do this with an equatorial mount! You need Alt/Az info and pointing an eq. mount at the tops of trees manually is quite a tedious feat! I do not normally use a finder but I had to mount one just for this task.

#5 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

I did it in Sky6 using the instructions from this post:

https://www.cloudyni...on-in-the-sky6/

I also found that you can use your own photos to create one following instructions from Software Bisque:

http://www.bisque.co...8936/32093.aspx

• *skyguy* likes this

#6 jiawen

jiawen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

Sky Safari 4 also does custom horizons. I assume higher-numbered versions also do. It's pretty easy to do, too -- just put the image file in the correct directory and they show up as options in the horizon panorama list.

#7 OldManSky

OldManSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

CDC (Cartes du Ciel) supports both text-file defined horizons (you make a file with az-alt coordinates) and image horizons (using a 360-deg panorama photo).  

Details are here:

https://www.ap-i.net...rvatory#horizon

• mikefulb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics