•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antique Single Draw Telescope

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:23 AM

I know aren’t usually discussed here but it is a telescope and probably beyond classic, more like antique. I have always been fascinated by these but never willing to pay the crazy prices. This one came up on a local craigslist and was described as a “wall hanger” and not working, but for $20 I figured it was worth it just for the esthetics even if it didn’t work. Not sure how old it is 100 to 150 years maybe? The objective is in tact as well as the outer eyepiece and the internal erector lens. It is however missing the internal eyepiece lens and unfortunately doesn’t work. How I would love to get this working again!!! It has definitely seen “use”. I cannot find a makers mark or identification anywhere on or in it. The outer body does appear to have been wrapped originally but long gone. Imagine the tales it could tell! 

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

• astro140 and jcruse64 like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

Boy, they used to put a lot of artistry and detail in stuff back in the day. 

#3 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

I had a antique photo in my files titled:

'Old mon looking through telescope' and almost positive it was spelt mon not man.

I cannot find it, and I'm pretty sure I posted it at one time here in the classic forum too.

The telescope in the photo was a draw-scope maybe 3-4 draws with a star diagonal.

Yours would be a great candidate along with high and low power eyepieces.

Robert

#4 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:41 PM

It looks like the eyepiece end has a sliding shutter to keep out dust. Do you know for sure that it's missing a lens element, and can you see a structure in there to indicate where it might have been originally?

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

It looks remarkably similar to my own one-draw ship's telescope. Almost, but not quite identical. Mine's optically in full working order and deliver a decent image, about 10x magnification. 

I tried finding some dated samples and the ones that most resembled mine in the small details were from around 1800 - 1840, so it's the real thing. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#6 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Nice find!

Some of my older scopes use removable "oculars" accessed by unscrewing the shuttered cap, which themselves can be then be further disassembled. The internal lens may be a simple plano/convex (try some from surplus shed?)

Attached Thumbnails

• Fraunhofer3.jpg
  • fraunhoferocular.jpg

Edited by Paul Hyndman, 17 February 2019 - 04:24 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#7 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

It looks like the eyepiece end has a sliding shutter to keep out dust. Do you know for sure that it's missing a lens element, and can you see a structure in there to indicate where it might have been originally?

Hi Joe, by online photos it looks like it’s missing the lens out of #2. #1 and #2 make up the “eyepiece cartridge”. #3 and #4 make up the “erector cartridge”. Then there is #5 air spaced doublet (with 3/8” spacer ring) and then the #6 doublet objective (no spacers). It’s weird, I’m not sure about the #5 doublet? It sits right next to the objective, like 3/8” of an inch away from it. You can slide its cell back and forth in the tube. It also would not allow the sliding tube to be fully inserted without the end of it contacting the doublet and pushing it up against the outer objectives cell. To fully insert the inner tube you have to unscrew and remove the outer objective cell to allow the #5 doublet to slide outward for clearance but then you can’t reinstall the outer objective cell. Again it’s weird, it looks like it absolutely belongs to the scope but just don’t seem right to have that doublet right up against the outer objective and also not allow the inner tube to insert fully. I haven’t seen any photos of any scopes with this setup. On a bright note with the #5 doublet removed I can now get a focused, erect, image even with the missing #2 eye lens! So who knows?

hY9LqJ9.jpg

9rM6YGq.jpg

bC0ddWZ.jpg

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#8 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:50 PM

That is... way more complicated than I was expecting. But, what do I know about these things anyway... Could the #5 be some kind of removable accessory that gives the scope some alternate function? Extreme close focus maybe? Is it supposed to be inserted inside the drawtube, and fell out? Very interesting, whatever it is.

#9 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

Here's the insides of a Tinsley Saturn single draw.

Eyepiece is plano-convex, plano-convex.

Erector is convex-plano, convex-plano.

Everything you see in these photos is in the draw tube, and move together as a unit when focusing.

Robert

post-50896-0-76925300-1523835030.jpg

post-50896-0-20526100-1460313176_thumb.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics