•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RigRunner/PowerPole connection question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nimitz69

nimitz69

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

So what's the 'trick' to removing and PowerPole connector once you've inserted it into the RigRunner?  Just got my new RigRunner & there is a PowerPole connector already in each slot but for the life of me I can't figure out how to pull them out?

#2 Dean J.

Dean J.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

Those PowerPole connectors are what you plug into.  PowerPole into PowerPole.

#3 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Viking 1

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

PowerPole connectors are Hermaphroditic. That is to say each connector is both male and female. You can take any two connectors and plug them in to each other. So the rigrunner has a set of connectors already wired in. You just take a powerpole-ended cable and plug it in. The way they are designed, you cannot plug them in with the wrong polarity.

If you are making your own cables, you need to be sure you get the red and black connectors on the correct side of each other or you will not be able to plug in to the rigrunner.

Edited by Dan Finnerty, 16 February 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#4 nimitz69

nimitz69

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

"So the rigrunner has a set of connectors already wired in."

That piece of data was missing from my information ... :) 

ok, I see how to connect PwerPole to Powerpole.  I've already crimped connectors to the cables I'll be using but have not inserted the red or black 'cover' yet because I need to figure out polarity.  Is it 'standard' that the wire with the rib on it in a paired cable is the "+" and therefore I should use a red cover on it?   I barely passed EE in college .... :)

#5 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Viking 1

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yes, the white stripe is intended to be the + or positive pole. But check! Always check polarity. Whether it is you or someone else who makes a mistake in wiring the polarity, the results are the same. Magic smoke steals the life of your expensive equipment.

#6 whizbang

whizbang

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

I just took two photos for you.  I happen to be running 3 dew heaters right now to help the epoxy cure on an emergency telescope repair.

Rigrun1.jpgRigrun2.jpg

#7 nimitz69

nimitz69

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM

thx! Never saw a closeup of one to realize that the. PP connectors were actually wired in ....

now all I have to do is figure out to actually check polarity ....

#8 pedxing

pedxing

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

Get a cheap multimeter.

You can use the ohmmeter to do continuity tests so you can tell which connector is really on which wire.

Then before you plug in equipment you switch to DC voltmeter mode and make sure the actual polarity of the voltage is correct.

It's very simple to use, one of the more useful tools on my workbench. For most purposes, a really cheap one is fine.

• elmiko and Dan Finnerty like this

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Plus one for the volt meter. You don't want to cross polarity with 12 volt DC. You will damage your equipment.

#10 nimitz69

nimitz69

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

thx.  I actually have a volt meter, just never used it .... off to YouTube land .... smile.gif

• elmiko likes this

#11 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

If you are not 100% sure how to check polarity for center positive, there is a place near you called Sunex Electronic Supply. I would drive over with your stuff, slip the guy $20 for a hands-on lesson, and be safe. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics