•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ATCO D=60mm F=700 any info would be appreciated

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 jtjtjtjt

jtjtjtjt

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:00 AM

John 

Congrats all around on your latest aquisition. It looks fine riding in that mount all put together. It looks like you have already  improved its appearance.  I looked at it when the ad first popped up as it was an easy lunchtime run from where I work. The price was low.   Ultimately I just didn't want to take on another wee project as I have alot of irons in the fire right now and my pool table has too many refractors on it.

I am in the wierd yet happy position of being so  pleased to have missed out on this scope  .....

simply because  you  seem excited to have it and we bet you appreciate this nice little kit. It is ovious that this scope found a good home.....

It has such a cool mount     kind of a yoke mounted clam shell    the likes of which I had not yet seen.

I liked the original stuffing bags  that the seller said actually had some hay in them as well....Tim the seller mentioned that it had been in his family forever and that he was 58 years old and somehow amongst all his older siblings he somehow ended up with it. His estimation was late 50's/early 60/s

.everything should clean up nicely.

Enjoy  it    and remember         sometimes a scope finds you 

Barry

Thanks! laugh.gif  I agree, a beautiful 6" F15 owned by Jesse Wilson found me! ( and I have since seen things in the sky that I couldn't identify question.gif ... really! ). I started a CN post when I first acquired it ( 6" F? manufacturer unknown, please help is the title ), its a beautiful scope, even unrestored ( which it still is untouched other than a bath for the tube ) it gave better views of mars last year than my 6" F8 APM doublet ( bought new at NEAF 2018 ). The APM is a fine scope and I love the self collimating cell and zero false color, but the F15 just showed more detail.  

Edited by jtjtjtjt, 19 February 2019 - 03:12 AM.

• Bomber Bob, Kasmos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#27 jtjtjtjt

jtjtjtjt

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:03 AM

My Kenko is very similar to the Atco. I think the mounts are the same and that was one of the things that attracted me to it. 

attachicon.gif Kenko-in-Box-cn.jpg

Kenko made these with and without the azimuth slow motion.

It's appears that others did as well. Again probably an age thing.

attachicon.gif Kenko 710-Telescope.jpg

My Sky Chief has a similar but different mount.

attachicon.gif Sky-Chief-Mount-1.jpg

The benefit of this one is, you can install or remove the telescope without taking off the objective lens.

Very nice scope and great info! Thanks!

• Kasmos likes this

#28 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Great  

Hey if you are able to attend NEAF this year  I'll be in the classics booth, please stop by so we can chat

Barry

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 19 February 2019 - 11:16 AM.

• jtjtjtjt likes this

#29 jtjtjtjt

jtjtjtjt

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:01 PM

Awesome! I'll be attending this year. I'll stop by!

#30 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Not worth anything near $300,  maybe up to the $200 figure for the right buyer.

#31 65&Counting

65&Counting

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

I stumbled across this thread after just purchasing a Shrine Manon 60mm off eBay - great stuff!

It's a small world - I bought a 12.5" Cave from a Greenville, S.C. Astronomy Club in a storage unit and they kindly gave me boxes of misc. parts laying around.

There were several focusers (and nice 60mm objectives with cells) in one box but one of the focusers was a cut above with a 'Mayflower Astronomical 60mm f700mm' label.

Lo and behold the eBay Shrine Manon used the (almost) exact same focuser and they're both in really good shape. The Mayflower has a shorter chromed drawtube/shorter rack but a neat gray (same gray as everywhere else on it) screw-on that makes both about the same length. Paint jobs identical and I swapped the drawtubes because I like the Mayflower better.

Mine's not in overall pristine condition and someone broke part of the altizmuth casting for one of the worms (and it doesn't have some of the other neat features on this one).

But the lens was pristine and I can now attest to the terrific optical quality of these - minimal cleanup and wow! Great images from a 60mm - sharp and color free.

Can post some pix if anyone interested - these really are cool and much better than my first 60mm late 60's Sears scope which isn't much by comparison.

#32 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

I stumbled across this thread after just purchasing a Shrine Manon 60mm off eBay - great stuff!

It's a small world - I bought a 12.5" Cave from a Greenville, S.C. Astronomy Club in a storage unit and they kindly gave me boxes of misc. parts laying around.

There were several focusers (and nice 60mm objectives with cells) in one box but one of the focusers was a cut above with a 'Mayflower Astronomical 60mm f700mm' label.

Lo and behold the eBay Shrine Manon used the (almost) exact same focuser and they're both in really good shape. The Mayflower has a shorter chromed drawtube/shorter rack but a neat gray (same gray as everywhere else on it) screw-on that makes both about the same length. Paint jobs identical and I swapped the drawtubes because I like the Mayflower better.

Mine's not in overall pristine condition and someone broke part of the altizmuth casting for one of the worms (and it doesn't have some of the other neat features on this one).

But the lens was pristine and I can now attest to the terrific optical quality of these - minimal cleanup and wow! Great images from a 60mm - sharp and color free.

Can post some pix if anyone interested - these really are cool and much better than my first 60mm late 60's Sears scope which isn't much by comparison.

Congrats! They are great small scopes.

The Manons and Mayflower 814s are a bit different than the Atcos, Kenko, and others shown above.

They usually have great optics and are overall a cut above your average 60/700mm scope.

The Manons can have a APL, or  HOC makers mark on the focuser. The Mayflowers can have HOC, APL, or SYW.

Depending on the year and maker there are small differences among all of them.

It sounds like you found a HOC version with the gray extension tube. Some think they are the best!

I have two Mayflowers (both are SYW), and a Manon (APL), and all three are about identical in performance, which is great. 

For more relevant information on them here's some links:

https://www.cloudyni...-mayflower-814/

https://www.cloudyni...2025-mayflower/

https://www.cloudyni...er-60mm-tripod/

https://www.cloudyni...= manon shrine

https://www.cloudyni...ical-telescope/

Edited by Kasmos, 08 August 2019 - 01:52 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics