•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen FL55SS: an ongoing "review"

astrophotography equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:38 AM

Yes, I chose m44 because was conveniently placed and, due to size and distribution, could show well how stars' shapes change across the field.
With the reducer, the coma-free field is somewhat narrower, but the effect would be much less obvious in the stacked image.
Due to very short focal(s), decent speed and good built I rate the FL55ss as one of the easiest astrographs available

#27 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

The reason why I like the star fields you posted it's exactly because they are just a one shot photo and not a stacked image, I can foresee a much better image when stacked.

I don't know what camera you used on M44, is it a cooled camera?

I happy to hear that it's one of the easiest astrographs.

CS

Bernardo

#28 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

Well, thanks!

I have posted the "raw" shots exactly to show the real behaviour of the FL55ss, since stacking and post-processing reflects more the skill of the photographer than the equipment's prowess.

I have used a quite rudimentary DSLR (a Canon EOS1100d), 120" at ISO 160: guess that with your GP mount can (BTW, nice Vixen collectiongrin.gif ) get such, and even better, results.

#29 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

Well, thanks!

I have posted the "raw" shots exactly to show the real behaviour of the FL55ss, since stacking and post-processing reflects more the skill of the photographer than the equipment's prowess.

I have used a quite rudimentary DSLR (a Canon EOS1100d), 120" at ISO 160: guess that with your GP mount can (BTW, nice Vixen collectiongrin.gif ) get such, and even better, results.

I agree with you a raw image shows a lot more about the lens. I have a Canon 600D and a Vixen wide adapter for it, but I have only used it on the moon a couple of times. Your unguided photos give me hope.

When I got into the astronomy hobby I wanted to do photography, I got the R200SS for it, but never got a proper mount for it.

Thanks for bearing with me.

CS

Bernardo

#30 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

gallery_215679_8115_7489870.jpg

The FL55ss riding a Polarie star tracker, ready to shot. The same setup could be employed visually, even if it is not, obviously, its main purpose.

Usually compromises are accepted in order to reach the target: in this case, the aim was to be able to put ALL the "telescope" into a 35l backpack, and in order to do so traded comfort (with this setup have to observe sit on ground) and stability (mainly for visual, since the tripod can be lowered for AP).

• rerun, nicknacknock and Simon B like this

#31 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:48 AM

Here a couple of quick samples I took in the last days.

Both pictures are of low quality due to short integration time, modest camera (unmodded eos1100d) and my own low skills with post-processing softwares (in both cases preprocessing, alignement and stack with IRIS, stretching and color balance with IRIS and GIMP).

The Seagull Nebula, IC2177

gallery_215679_10936_3794988.jpg

Orion's belt

gallery_215679_10936_16938.jpg

• Erik Bakker, rerun, dUbeni and 2 others like this

#32 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

HOW many subs (integrated) and what integration time per sub?

Thanks in advance.

#33 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:01 PM

Sorry, forgot to post the data in the album.

Seagull: 40x300" @ISO800 with an Astronomik CLS-ccd due to the LP and Moon. Gain normalization, equalization, and a tad of cosmetic processing with GIMP (but could not remove the ugly black artifact from brilliant stars, one of the worst features of my eos1100d)

Orion belt: 78x280" @ ISO 800, CLS-ccd. Offset normalization, stretching and usual cosmetic adjustments.

Edited by Hesiod, 16 March 2019 - 01:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics