•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to fix Zeiss dialyt 10x40 B?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: NH

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

I have an old pair of zeiss dialyt 10x40B binoculars. I bought these a long time ago, they were made in what was then West Germany. It has 2 issues:

The diopter setting needs to be set far into the negative, eventhough I observe with glasses. All other bins I look through require almost no adjustment. It makes me think that something is off inside?

There is play in the focuser which is annoying. I mean that the focusing wheel turns for a bit before the focusing begins to change.

The first issue is not a big deal, but the second is super annoying.

Can anything be done about this?

#2 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Hello Wallcreeper,

I am going to guess that NH in your address stands for New Hampshire.  I would check with Zeiss USA to discover if the binouclar is under guarantee.   If not, I would consider sending the binocular to a qualified optical technician.

Clear skies,

Arthur Pinewood

#3 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

I am in New Hampshire indeed. Any suggestions for a qualified optical technician?

#4 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:47 PM

I just checked the zeiss USA website. It looks like they have a repair service! I'll try that first.

#5 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

These are pretty good units, at least the 12 Zeiss 50mm objectives I bought from Gary Hand for $3 a unit were. I'd be surprised if they don't have an adjustment for the main focusing helical.

As for the diopter adjustment you're talking to the wrong guy. It takes me two stacked TV 1.8s to get close=8(

#6 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

I can help with the play in the focuser, as I have had experience with 2 of these with the same malady.

My experience is with the newer BTP models, and yours may be much the same.  On the focuser knob, the

cap is secured by 3 tiny screws, and needs to be removed with small precision screwdrivers, you may have a

set, they are useful around the house for eyeglasses, etc.  Remove the cap, and then you will see a larger bolt that

will tighten the focuser itself.  Try to tighten this to your liking, replace the cap, and you are set.  I hope this works

for you.

As for the diopter, I have no advice there.  If you can tighten the focuser, and  can get along with the diopter I

would not send it in.  Zeiss often has to send these back to Germany, and a call to their service center could help

to see if they will warranty it, and they might.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

#7 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

I just tried to remove the cap on the focuser. It is held by 4 tiny screws in my case. I used a very small screwdriver. The screws won't move unfortunately. They seem stuck. I guess after 25 years they are not going to give ground that easily:)
Not sure if I can make them move. Any suggestions?

#8 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

Zeiss stands behind their products 100% no matter if you are the original owner or not. They will fix it free of charge. Let them.

(At least that's the way they operated in the 20th century. One of the few truly stand-up customer-supporting companies left in the world.)

• hallelujah likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics