•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Table/mini dobson as grab-and-go scope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Tap

Dennis Tap

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

I'm looking for a simple grab-and-go telescope, for some visual wide views. Like looking with a 32mm plössl at the pleiades.

I came across this scope:

Bresser Dobson telescope N 130/650 Messier DOB (or Bresser Dobson telescope N 150/750 Messier DOB)

Some info: https://www.astrosho...ier-dob/p,58039

Has anyone experience with this kind of table dobson? If so, what is your opinion about it?

At this moment I own a 4.5'' newton telescope from the nineties on a simple EQ mount, which I do not really like in its usage.

Thnx,

Dennis

• aeajr likes this

#2 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

There are several of these same types of scopes on the market.   Celestron and Orion also offer something very similar.

My friend has one and it is very convenient and gives good views. 

#3 Dennis Tap

Dennis Tap

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:14 PM

Does an Orion 9x50 raci finder scope fit on this Bresser? I would prefer a decent finder scope.

On my 4,5'' newton the finder scope is a 5x24 finder....kinda hard to use and too small (especially as a eyeglasses user).

Edited by Dennis Tap, 17 February 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#4 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

Looks like the meade 130 mini lightbridge. I have a bushnell ares 5 inch table top dob. It's a fun scope that gives good views. I think you would like it but keep in mind you need a pretty sturdy table of some sort to sit it on, plus a seat ton sit on.

#5 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

Does an Orion 9x50 raci finder scope fit on this Bresser? I would prefer a decent finder scope.

On my 4,5'' newton the finder scope is a 5x24 finder....kinda hard to use and too small (especially as a eyeglasses user).

Good question. I suppose you could add one but I don't know how much that might upset the balance of the scope. I'd probably go with a rigel quickfinder to replace the red dot. A 32 plossl in this scope will give you over 2 degrees so that's a pretty good finder eyepiece, combined with a rigel.

• aeajr likes this

#6 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:11 PM

I suppose you could put a 9X50 RACI on that scope but it would be a monster on a little scope.   

As noted, a 32 mm Plossl will give you 20X and about 2.4 degree FOV.   That, in combination with a RDF, seems fine to me.   If you must have an optical finder I would consider a 6X30 right angle as a more appropriate choice for the size and aperture of that scope.  

#7 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

As long as you have a suitable table or stool to set it on (or, there are many CN posts about building your own "tripod").

Good viewing,

Dave

#8 Dennis Tap

Dennis Tap

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

I suppose you could put a 9X50 RACI on that scope but it would be a monster on a little scope.   

As noted, a 32 mm Plossl will give you 20X and about 2.4 degree FOV.   That, in combination with a RDF, seems fine to me.   If you must have an optical finder I would consider a 6X30 right angle as a more appropriate choice for the size and aperture of that scope.  

Yes, you're right.

As long as you have a suitable table or stool to set it on (or, there are many CN posts about building your own "tripod").

Good viewing,

Dave

This is a good one. waytogo.gif

I need a new small solid table to put it on.

Thnx for the advice guys.

#9 mic1970

mic1970

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

St. Louis AC uses the Orion version for the public library check out a scope program.  It work and give good views.  There is an added plus to the one you show.  It can be removed and put on heaver mount.  I'd say go for it.

#10 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

Super Simple Tabletop telescope stand
https://www.youtube....h?v=HsGD9mU8cR0
http://www.eyesonthe...eTripod2x4.aspx

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics