•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco 15TE-5 Royal Astro

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 jtjtjtjt

jtjtjtjt

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

It looks cool, but the tripod version dampens vibration faster.  

That's good to know! Thanks for sharing your experience!

#27 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

There are many sources of vignetting in these old scopes and the T2/2" adapter vignettes too. The only way to get a full 2" for one of these telescopes is to calculate/check/change all of the baffles and replace the focuser with a good 2" focuser. 

Doing that results in a stunningly good telescope, but it isn't really worth it for me since I only need to use it with 1.25"

• jtjtjtjt likes this

#28 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

That adapter is the two Baader items I linked to screwed together and sold as one. The T2/36.4 adapter isn't that expensive at around $29 and provides a huge amount of flexibility. I have a feeling this single unit costs about the same as the two separate items combined.  

For the visual back Baader also makes this fine piece. Currently not imported into the USA, however, Agena Astro has assured me they will order a bunch. Screws directly into the drawtube and eliminates one expensive piece of your method.

https://www.baader-p...2-part-11).html

• jtjtjtjt likes this

#29 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

That adapter is the two Baader items I linked to screwed together and sold as one. The T2/36.4 adapter isn't that expensive at around $29 and provides a huge amount of flexibility. I have a feeling this single unit costs about the same as the two separate items combined.  

Manish told me on the phone that he would be selling the adapter I linked for the same price as the one piece you linked. That would be about a $30 savings. We will see when he gets them in stock. 

• jtjtjtjt and agmoonsolns like this

#30 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

Here is a stereo pair of the 15TEA.  This pair requires that you use the crossed-eyes method.  You cross your eyes until the images merge.  

013.jpg

Here it is with the 40mm finder and 40mm guidescope, mounted on a second pair of finder rings.

40mm guidescope 003.jpg

• akman1955, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#31 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

That sounds really cool, please let us know when you get it and what you think. 

Manish told me on the phone that he would be selling the adapter I linked for the same price as the one piece you linked. That would be about a $30 savings. We will see when he gets them in stock. 

#32 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Manish told me on the phone that he would be selling  adapter I linked for the same price as the one piece you linked. That would be about a $30 savings. We will see when he gets them in stock. 

It would be nice if someone could put an alert on this forum when they actually become available, thx 

• agmoonsolns likes this

#33 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

DMala, I really don't need another one, but it's one of my favorites. Maybe, we could work something out? Contact me through private message so we can discuss it further.

Well, sans the clock my 10-TE is still available.....

https://www.cloudyni...rice-reduction/

I am not sure that the 10-15-TE is superior to a Swift 831 however. The latter has a better designed focuser btw, no wobbling even with normally worn pads. Both are great telescopes that I prize equally.

#34 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Yes! That would be awesome, now I want one too. :-)

It would be nice if someone could put an alert on this forum when they actually become available, thx 

#35 jtjtjtjt

jtjtjtjt

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:26 AM

Here is a stereo pair of the 15TEA.  This pair requires that you use the crossed-eyes method.  You cross your eyes until the images merge.  

attachicon.gif 013.jpg

Here it is with the 40mm finder and 40mm guidescope, mounted on a second pair of finder rings.

attachicon.gif 40mm guidescope 003.jpg

Very nice! cool.gif

#36 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

And now for something completely different (& colorful!) the Sears version of the Tasco 15-TEA, the Model 6336.  (Same Royal OTA.)

Sears 6336 - Left Side with Casters S91.jpg

Gotta love those color-coded eyepieces (made for the Model 6345's RoyalHex).  The accessory tray is thick cast aluminum, and I use it as a steering wheel when moving the 6336 from my man cave to the patio.

• DreamWeaver, Piggyback, Tenacious and 2 others like this

#37 jtjtjtjt

jtjtjtjt

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

What a beauty! I want one! lol.gif bow.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics