•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some clear honesty needed : Is Video Astronomy worth it?

imaging
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 SkyCruzr

SkyCruzr

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:07 AM

Great thread!   I too have been pondering the leap to EAA.  I was in a nice little astro shop in Denver last week and the owner was singing the praises of the R2 setup. It intrigued me and got me digging a little further. It truly would be nice to sit in my warm-ish observatory looking at the screen, versus freezing my tail off on these cold winter nights at 8200'.

Someone up-thread mentioned observing with a glass of whiskey in the warm. I could go for that!

So much to learn before pulling the trigger....

#52 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:08 AM

The R2 is OK for some purposes, but folk should remember that if you are planning to use a computer the R2 is a much more complex way to do your OAP than if you get something like an IMX224 camera.

You can also get a RC224 much more cheaply and it will give you better dynamic range, it will also give you an HD view instead of the low-resolution of the R2.  There are reasons I no longer use those analog CCD surveillance cameras for OAP. . .

If you don't want to use the computer, then something like R2 can make sense.  But I'd also then look at the offerings by Mallincam.

• Howie1, roelb, t_image and 1 other like this

#53 t_image

t_image

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:17 AM

Per the universally general question posed by the thread title,

(realizing many readers may stumble upon the thread),

OleCuss's great reply reminded me of something I first thought but hadn't shared yet.

Video Astronomy/EAA can be fairly compared to the analogy :

of how one's experience of the world can be different by owning/using an automobile.

Just like there is a great diversity in types and qualities and (levels of luxury experience) and use-ability

(off-road jeeps, sport cars, economy, mini-vans, RV's, utility trucks, etc.)

So exists the diversity of EAA gear.

Sadly I think the niche-thing has a tenancy to obscure this great range of selection,

because an individual's exposure of EAA often involves exposure to only one option, very different from the auto analogy where the diversity of autos is ubiquitous in most parts of the world.....

I hope this is helpful in that it could be easy to get excited about the paradigm shift the world of EAA brings,

but if you desire off-road performance you won't want to put all your money in a smart car because it's readily available or is quickly affordable.

And if you want a sports car, experience with a clunker might turn you off all together to autos.

I could go on, but I hope this offers some usefulness. The great value-add of the EAA forums and posters is there is a lot of generous people willing to help you "test drive," including the various archives of  live broadcast where the gear is demonstrated....

Cheers!

• OleCuss, roelb and makeitso like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics