•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendation needed for eyepiece carry bag

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bbaldwin

Bbaldwin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

I have a small collection of eyepieces and I am looking for a quality carry bag to safely transport them.  Any recommendations or links would be greatly appreciated!

Eyepieces:

20mm Meade UWA

12mm Televue Nagler Type 2

15mm Celestron Luminos

10mm Celestron Luminos

2.5 Barlow Celestron Luminos

35mm Orion Deep View

eyepieces.jpg

• merlin5353 likes this

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

Hello, 

I use Pelican 1500 Series cases for eyepieces and related optical accessories - got 6 so far in various colours.., 

As I am visual-only, I have a number of eyepieces and (a few) filters and the foam lined Pelican cases are great for me to organize everything so I know what pieces are in which case. I use one case that I use solely when I observe away from home that sits empty until I next head out.., 

There are a few Pelican clones that are not as expensive to choose from (a quick online search will help you with finding them) as well - so depending on your specific reliability needs / requirements, you have some choices cost wise., 

Hope this helps.., 

Best., 

skybsd

• Sarkikos and Bbaldwin like this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

If you have a Harbour Freight nearby, they often have really good injection molded cases (similar to Pelican) available at friendly prices. Watch their sales too; then they're almost free. Kaizan foam can be bought via internet - cheap. Cut to fit and you're geared up like a pro!

• CeleNoptic, WyattDavis and Bbaldwin like this

#4 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Apollo

• Loc: Rye, NH, USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

I did what havasman suggests (case + foam cut to size) with a one of these from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepo...22571/205440492

It latches on to one of these:

https://www.homedepo...22573/205441921

And there are other modular cases that do the same. Great for having all of your stuff ready ready to go in a rolling case setup.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have one of these that can go into a suitcase/on a plane - nice to have a smaller case as well:  https://explorescien...e-epwp-kit-case

• BDS316 and Bbaldwin like this

#5 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:31 PM

Very cool web site here. And carry bag options.

http://homebuiltastr...m/bag/index.htm

• CeleNoptic likes this

#6 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

What Dick said above, Apache Weatherproof Protective Cases. Go to Harbor Freight and print out 20% store coupon or use its code online. Such HFT coupons/codes also practically always available from other sites offering coupons. Waved foam available, e.g. from Amazon like this Acoustic foam or thicker and tougher type if you need like Kaizen Foam. Softer type like Pick Pluck Foam is also available. To make holes in Kaizen foam I used e.g. empty spray cans from sunscreen or hair spray, just cutted off the bottom and sharpened the walls. It's just important not to  forget to pierce a hole before to release the pressure smile.gif

Edited by CeleNoptic, 17 February 2019 - 11:36 PM.

• buddy ny and cookjaiii like this

#7 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

I like DSLR backpacks for carrying my EPs. Large enough to fit all the little accessories, plus it keeps your hands free. I use this Amazon Basics model, but there are all sorts of camera bags out there.

https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#8 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

I like DSLR backpacks for carrying my EPs. Large enough to fit all the little accessories, plus it keeps your hands free. I use this Amazon Basics model, but there are all sorts of camera bags out there.

https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lowe Alpine make different sizes.

#9 Bbaldwin

Bbaldwin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

Fantastic ideas here, guys! I really appreciate the help!
  • havasman and WyattDavis like this

#10 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

If you are looking for shoulder cases, then also check out second hand stores.

Lots of different size and type of cases are available at them.

Very affordable to upgrade  too.  

• clearwaterdave likes this

#11 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:29 AM

Apache cases from Harbor Frieght, worked great for my eyepieces.

#12 Frisky

Frisky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:56 AM

I use a bag I bought for $5.65 in the tool department at Walmart. It's named "Hyper Tough" and is a heavy-duty tool bag. I bought mine last June and have about 6 pounds worth of eyepieces and such in it. It's constructed to last for years.

Joe

#13 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:37 AM

I just use a simple travel trolley bag.

Eyepieces live in their boxes and the boxes sit along the bottom of the bag.

Also means that other bits can also go in the bag, like food waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• izar187 likes this

#14 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:08 AM

I got these lunch/6-pack coolers from the thrift store.,good for ep's and other small bits.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190119_062145.jpg.jpg

• izar187, BFaucett and Frisky like this

#15 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:45 AM

Pelicans case with foam or similar from other brands are the best. It protects your precious collection and it keeps your accessories organized, which is very useful because we use these in the dark.

#16 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

If you have a Harbour Freight nearby, they often have really good injection molded cases (similar to Pelican) available at friendly prices. Watch their sales too; then they're almost free. Kaizan foam can be bought via internet - cheap. Cut to fit and you're geared up like a pro!

HF sells the Apache hard case . I own one very stout. I re-lined it with Kazien foam, got a 2×4 sheet locally in NC, only used about 1/3 of the sheet. 55mm thick -27$ apache case 44$ with coupon 10% off. For 70$ I have a equal of a Pelican case with better foam

If I order from The Kazein manufacturers the want 44$ shipping on a 24$ piece. On foam

Order 100$ worth of foam shipping is free . lol.

But OP states "bag" I used some of the kazien to refine a TV old Pronto carry case

Works like a champ

#17 Cu Mara

Cu Mara

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

Big fan of the Pelican 1500 series.  It is a serious piece pf equipment.  Been using them for years for camera and lens transportation.  Logical decision for EPs.  

Plus as a previous poster mentioned, stability is huge since this is a hobby that takes place in the dark.  :)

• Sarkikos likes this

#18 old_enough

old_enough

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

As I like to travel light I modified a hard shell laptop case to hold my eyepieces. It took me one evening to cut the foam separators but now it’s easy to use in the field and not as heavy and bulky as those Pelican or similar cases. Not as though as well, obviously. 

Best,

Sebastian

Attached Thumbnails

• F33A6072-37B0-4C7F-91EA-1BEA7E291AA0.jpeg

• rustynpp, izar187, NC Startrekker and 2 others like this

#19 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:26 AM

Tool box, piece of mdf, 2" hole saw (for door knobs).  No need for top and bottom caps or bolt cases.

firestorm and eyepieces - cn size.jpg

#20 merlin5353

merlin5353

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ocala, FL

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:01 PM

Good information. Thank you, all.
John

#21 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

This maybe?

Tenba Eyepiece Kit Soft-Sided Case EPWP KIT Case 57% Off

https://www.opticspl...sided-case.html

#22 Freeman1

Freeman1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:35 AM

Me personally I'd go with something like a pelican case and cut a foam insert out using a high load bearing packaging foam. A decent scalpel/craft knife should be good enough to get a clean cut through it. That'll keep 'em safe.

#23 rajilina

rajilina

Vostok 1

• Loc: UT, USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:47 AM

I'm using this system for my entire astronomy kit, the Milwaukee Packout:

https://www.homedepo...33663/303038736

There is a custom-cut foam available for the small tool box:

https://www.homedepo...-8451/308838292

They also have a version of the small tool box with the foam already in it.

All these cases stack and lock together. The small tool box holds eyepieces, diagonals or finders (sorry I don't have a picture of this, but similar to the pic below of the mount head in the larger case). The medium case holds my mount head. The large wheeled case has everything else in it... flashlights, power supply, cords, vibration pads, cameras, wifi controller, level, etc. I can bungee my OTA case, tripod and observing chair to the stacked system and take everything from the car in one trip. I really love this system, it's a little pricey but very well put together and works like a charm.

Edited to add that you don't have to buy the 3 pc case set up front. They sell all these pieces separately, so I have two of the small tool boxes because I have a lot of finderscopes, diagonals and eyepieces to organize, and I want some in one case and some in the other, and then I just take whatever case is appropriate to my need.

They also even have a small cooler that attaches to the system that I purchased. The stack, even when fully loaded, is pretty easy to manage; the wheels are big and roll well over rocks and uneven ground. I'm older and not too strong and I love how easy it is to get it around.

GSR1
AVX in Milwaukee Packout

I also use an Apache case for extra eyepieces. These are the ones you get at Harbor Freight and less expensive than the Pelican, but very similar. They are pretty decent quality and I've not had any issues with the ones I've purchased. They come with pick and pluck foam, which isn't my favorite because it doesn't hold up well over time, but you can get better foam to replace it on Amazon or elsewhere.

Edited by rajilina, 03 June 2020 - 09:57 AM.

• kauschovar likes this

#24 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Messenger

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:07 AM

For the collection OP asked this is the case ($36.77) which I personally use. If you want I bit room to grow and do not mind yellow, this case ($27.50) is on sale right now. Newark.com is a good source for hard cases like Duratool, or Duratool re-branded. They always have sales which allows you to save substantially.

Attached Thumbnails

• Caces.jpg

Edited by grzesznypl, 03 June 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#25 kauschovar

kauschovar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

rajilina, that packout system is such a great idea. I think I might do something similar. In your second photo, you show your mount protected by foam. May I ask how you did that? Is that the foam made for the packout system (from your second link)? Or did you source it from somewhere else and cut it to fit?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics