•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera for DSO with a Skywatcher Equinox APO 80ED and AVX Mount

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thebutcher

thebutcher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Hey all,

New here and I have some questions about what kind of camera to get. First of all I was not sure in which topic forum to put this in due to that I am undecided to go the DSLR or Dedicated Astronomy Cam such as a ZWO.

My current setup is an AVX Mount I just got with a used Sky watcher Equinox APO  ED80. I currently have a ZWO385MC that I use for my 10" Dob for planets and have been messing around and learning with DSO this past month with that cam. Now I intend to use my ZWO385MC as a guide scope in addition to a new/used DSLR/ZWO. THe ZWO would be MC not MM. My budget could be from $400-$1000 depending on the significant differences with the camera. The higher range in price, the longer I got to wait basically or more to sell lol.

So with that in mind some of my options that I thought of are:

1. Get a New Nikon 5300 or T6i or some other similar for around $400 then Astro-modify later (but would it perform with out it well enough)

2, Get a second hand Astro Modified T3i or similar for around $350-$600

3. Go for the ZWO 183MC for $600

4. Go for the ZWO 183MC Cooled $800

5  Go for the ZWO 294MC $700

6  Go for the ZWO 294MC cooled for $1000

I guess what I am trying to say is: Will a  ZWO camera outperform the modified DSLR's and by a lot for DSO objects such as Galaxies and Nebulas and such or is it just a matter a prefference. ANd does the cooling dramatically increase the performance per the extra cost.

Thanks ALL

smile.gif

Edited by thebutcher, 17 February 2019 - 09:13 PM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

I have a 183C (cooled).  The tiny pixels are tough to use.  It's a niche camera (I plan to use it with an F2 RASA) for an expert.  For someone new, the 294 is a _far_ better choice.  Drop the 183 off the possibilities.

Cooling is a must.  An uncooled astro specific camera is a waste of money.

Modding is a tweak.  Useful on emission nebulae, but not necessary.

The older Canons have been left behind by the 5300, which can be had, new, for under $400.

So, either the D5300, for about $400 (or the very similar 5500, which I also own, or the 5600) or the 294C, cooled, for $1000.  Both would be fine choices.  The cooled 294C is distinctly superior (more sensitive, lower noise, already "modded"), whether it's worth the additional money is simply a personal decision, that no one can (or should) make for you.

Minor, but important point.  Image scale is important, but not so much for a beginner.  Higher numbers for image scale are easier, and the theoretical resolution increase with lower numbers often is not realized.

Edited by bobzeq25, 17 February 2019 - 10:31 PM.

• overnight likes this

#3 thebutcher

thebutcher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

I have a 183C (cooled).  The tiny pixels are tough to use.  It's a niche camera (I plan to use it with an F2 RASA) for an expert.  For someone new, the 294 is a _far_ better choice.  Drop the 183 off the possibilities.

Cooling is a must.  An uncooled astro specific camera is a waste of money.

Modding is a tweak.  Useful on emission nebulae, but not necessary.

The older Canons have been left behind by the 5300, which can be had, new, for under $400.

So, either the D5300, for about $400 (or the very similar 5500, which I also own, or the 5600) or the 294C, cooled, for $1000.  Both would be fine choices.  The cooled 294C is distinctly superior (more sensitive, lower noise, already "modded"), whether it's worth the additional money is simply a personal decision, that no one can (or should) make for you.

Minor, but important point.  Image scale is important, but not so much for a beginner.  Higher numbers for image scale are easier, and the theoretical resolution increase with lower numbers often is not realized.

Thank you so much Bob,

That clarifies a lot for me on the one to choose. I would go with the 5300 or the 294 depending upon how patient I can be to get the better option. But at least I know that I can make do with the 5300 and possibly use it for a little bit then sell it once I got enough to go for the 294MC Cooled. 

I just don't want to miss the Galaxy Season coming up as I have been reading 

Thanks Again 

:)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics