•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need some help with new starsense

accessories Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Where ever I am at at that moment.

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:35 PM

Well my fellow collective members, we have success finally. As I type the Firmware manager is updating my setup.bounce.gif  

The primary culprit was a zip reader app that was stopping the CFM from going thru. 

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your awesome patience and support. bow.gif

You each get a huge hug from my little grateful heart. wub.png

The CFM has finished it says All packages successfully downloaded

All devices are up to date

The HC is showing BOOT LOADER Serial CFM Request,  But it will not respond to any input manually.

Am Imissing something that I should be doing?

Edited by MzCHawk, 22 February 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#52 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

I think you should unplug everything and set up just the mount and StarSense. See how the scope does. The Boot Loader should clear at that time.

Glad you found the culprit. Good Sticktoitivity.waytogo.gif

Edited by Dynan, 22 February 2019 - 08:59 PM.

• TikiTom and MzCHawk like this

#53 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:03 PM

I think you should unplug everything and set up just the mount and StarSense. See how the scope does. The Boot Loader should clear at that time.

Glad you found the culprit. Good Sticktoitivity.waytogo.gif

I went through the entire alignment series and no hang ups at all. I'm going to set up out back tonight and see what happens.

Edited by MzCHawk, 22 February 2019 - 09:05 PM.

• TikiTom, Dynan and GT1 like this

#54 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

How'd it go?

#55 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

How'd it go?

I got rained out. But it'll happen.

• Dynan likes this

#56 TikiTom

TikiTom

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

I got rained out. But it'll happen.

Of course it rained.

Probably means everything is good to go!

-LoL-

• Starman27 and Dynan like this

#57 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:58 PM

Tonight I've got clear skies.waytogo.gif

My 4SE is already set up out back. Once it's bit darker I'm going to align my scope and see what I can see.

I don't know if I'm going to attempt the camera and computer thing tonight, we'll see what happens and go from there.

Edited by MzCHawk, 26 February 2019 - 08:59 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#58 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

smile.gif Well flash back in here and please give us a report. We're dying to know how it went!

#59 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Ok for the update.....I tried aligning the scope three times. All three times the scope starsense did what it was supposed to do, it went thru all of the alignment steps, but failed due to too few stars. And that was accurate because the clouds came roaring back overhead

At that point I had to call it because I was freezing my butt off by then. Tonight right now it is about 33 degrees with a wind chill down to about 18 degrees. 

So at least I know it will go thru the alignment which is ahellva a lot more than what I was getting last week.

• TikiTom likes this

#60 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:52 PM

Yay!! applause.gif

Welcome to The Stars!

#61 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

{crickets}

#62 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:32 PM

{crickets}

Oh come on it's not that bad. I've been busy this week with family stuff.  So as I said I got the scope and starsence to go though the auto alignment program. It was doing everything right but there just weren't enough stars for it to align. I ran 3 times and got the same results each time. By that time I was freezing.

But that does tell me that it will do it when I get chance to go out again, maybe someplace with less light pollution like my new favorite photo spot., it gets very dark there, almost no lights anywhere near by. 

• Dynan likes this

#63 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:46 PM

My apologies. I thought you didn't like us anymore... lol.gif

Looks like you have it covered. When aligning, watch for "Acquired # stars" that goes by on the HC while aligning. 100 is the max it will report. It'll give you a good indicator of how well it's doing...or how bad the clouds/LP is.

Clear Skies!

#64 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

My apologies. I thought you didn't like us anymore... lol.gif

Looks like you have it covered. When aligning, watch for "Acquired # stars" that goes by on the HC while aligning. 100 is the max it will report. It'll give you a good indicator of how well it's doing...or how bad the clouds/LP is.

Clear Skies!

LOL, I was watching the star counts out of the 3 tries there was only one time that it got up towards the 100 count, it never got to 100. It would then start the image process and then flash the  too few stars and move the scope to the next section of stars.

#65 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:23 AM

Since it has seen close to 100 stars, I believe that eliminates one problem with SS... sometimes even new cameras are out of focus! (No way for end-user to adjust it either.)

Getting that many stars should give you a successful alignment. scratchhead2.gif Make sure no stray light is shining into the camera, but it's usually forgiving on that account. Are you still partly cloudy when trying the Auto Align?

After your successful alignment, don't forget to calibrate your camera. (Menu>StarSense>Calibrate) It aligns the SS camera axis to that of your scope. You then get to realign once again.fingertap.gif If you don't disassemble the scope, this need only be done once. Also add alignment points (up to an additional six). (Align>Add Alignment [I think])

CS!

#66 MzCHawk

MzCHawk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

Greetings follow Borg collective,

You will be pleased to know that I still exist and have not given in to re-purposing my telescope and assorted equipment into yard art.

I have been busy with the reality of life but I have also been studying up on getting my tripod and arm set up properly for polar alignment set-ups. The U-Tube videos I found are a good source for that as long as you don't just buy into which ever one you see first.

It seems that everyone has their own little tweaks that works for them. So I watched about 12 of them and then I watched the Celestron polar alignment video for their process. So now I feel that I can do it right and get good results.

So my scope time that I do have is still be used to learn about my equipment. 

rulez.gif foreheadslap.gif  I mistakenly posted the topic about equipment load out here.

Starman 27 being the awesome moderator that he is re-posted it over in the Equipment Section for me. thanx.gif

Edited by MzCHawk, 05 March 2019 - 12:20 PM.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics