•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

mixing of cameras and maybe filter wheels

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1hander

1hander

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

hello everyone,

im still in the process of getting all my gear together and i have a question that may be to specific..

been reading zwo manuals and ive noticed that their cameras and filter wheels can be ...daisy chained...like go from the main imaging cam to the guide cam and tfrom imaging cam to the filter wheel then just one cable from the main imaging cam to the laptop or to stellarmate in my case...

this avoids using up 3 usb ports on the stellarmate..

so my question is...can i do the same with the daisy chaining deal but say...use an orion guide cam and a different brand filter wheel with my main zwo imaging cam, 

or do i have to use only zwo cams and filter wheel if i want to daisy chain like that.... i ask cuz good deals come up on here and if i can get a used cam from here and it suits my needs then why not.

rick

#2 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:15 PM

I don't guide at all so my knowledge on this could be very deficient, but I don't think it should be an issue.

You should be able to mix and match while using the ZWO camera's hub to supply data services to both the filter wheel and guide camera.

However, I'd tend to prefer sticking with ZWO gear throughout.  It is a benefit to be able to go to a vendor with a problem and not have them being able to point to a bunch of other vendors as being the problem.  If you have a ZWO filter wheel and two ZWO cameras then any problem with them is something ZWO has to sort out.

I've also generally not been overly excited by the Orion cameras.  They may be fine but you just won't find a lot of people in our community using them and that means you won't get the same kind of community support.

Seriously, there is only one Orion camera I find tempting and that not solely for the camera:  https://www.telescop...58/p/116531.uts  I'd think that this particular unit might be used as a finder in a very light-polluted area.  I just haven't yet been able to justify the price.  OK, and I'm also not sure how good that sensor actually is - Aptina has made some rather noisy sensors.

Edited by OleCuss, 17 February 2019 - 11:17 PM.

#3 1hander

1hander

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

I tend to agree about sticking to one brand and what others are using.. It tends to be a big plus when one needs help or has a question 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics