•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Wandering Earth

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:00 PM

I just watched the chinese speaking/english subtitle "The Wandering Earth" based on the chinese book of same title. 

I don't want to give the story away but it is set a couple of hundred years in the future when the sun is making Earth inhabitable, and mankind is on the move to a more habitable place.

To speed up travel they attempt a gravitational assist from Jupiter and the views are awesome, without giving up much of the story.

It is a non-stop action space movie.

It was an excellent movie and could have only been better (for english speaking folks) by being dubbed in english.

Sometimes it was hard to keep up reading both the subtitles and the news headlines, but I would read the subtitles first.

I would rate it an A-, much better than the opinion I had of the plot going into the movie.

Edited by faackanders2, 17 February 2019 - 11:01 PM.

#2 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

Am I the only one who saw this space movie?

#3 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

Number 2 movie of all time in China, and it has only been out 1-2 weeks.  Will be translated in 20 languages, and Nextfix just bought it today.

• Alex_V likes this

#4 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

I've been hearing about it for the last 2-3 days now. Did you see this in the theaters?

I hear it has a limited US release.

#5 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: ON, Canada

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:11 AM

On official Netflix Media Center site they announce it release, but no date yet.

https://media.netfli...-netflix/383669

and another one

https://media.netfli...ands-on-netflix

Will definitely watch.

Edited by Alex_V, 22 February 2019 - 08:14 AM.

#6 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:35 PM

I've been hearing about it for the last 2-3 days now. Did you see this in the theaters?

I hear it has a limited US release.

Yes, I saw ot in Emagine theater with reclining seats

• silv likes this

#7 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

haven't seen it. And since it's more of an action movie without too much character and story development I probably won't watch it. I'm a chick - sorry laugh.gif  

But it's intriguing that China's propaganda machine saw the use for a sci-fi movie, isn't it? 

Like the Hollywood propaganda machine also serves a changes in political purposes in relation to soldier movies and CIA clandestine stories over the decades. 

I will read the english subtitles of Wandering Earth to see if I can justly insinuate a befitting motivation. 

Edited by silv, 24 February 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#8 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

haven't seen it. And since it's more of an action movie without too much character and story development I probably won't watch it. I'm a chick - sorry laugh.gif  

But it's intriguing that China's propaganda machine saw the use for a sci-fi movie, isn't it? 

Like the Hollywood propaganda machine also serves a changes in political purposes in relation to soldier movies and CIA clandestine stories over the decades. 

I will read the english subtitles of Wandering Earth to see if I can justly insinuate a befitting motivation. 

lots of character development between the astronaut his father and his son and adopted daughter

• silv likes this

#9 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

Although all the characters are chinese and it is spoke in chinese (with english subtitles), it really is a whole earth mankind survival movie.  It is 200 years in the future and they don't really say where the technology came from.

Based on a book by a chinese author.

Edited by faackanders2, 24 February 2019 - 03:32 PM.

#10 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

Heard China will be getting lots of new IMAX theaters due to demand of seeing this movie (and others).

#11 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

It is on Netflix in English, or you can watch in original Mandarin with English subtitles.

Will watch this weekend.

#12 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

It is on Netflix in English, or you can watch in original Mandarin with English subtitles.

Will watch this weekend.

Excellent (I have Netflix!)

#13 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:54 AM

How is the dub? I usually prefer subtitles, not because I like subtitles but because dub jobs tend to be pretty poor.

#14 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

I didn't watch yet, but usually Netflix doing good work with dubbing. For example  Marcelle(French) or Dark (German).

#15 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Watched it on the 6th when it came to NF. Didn't even look to see if it was dubbed. I think I'll watch it again dubbed so I can actually see what's going on.

#16 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

Just watched the movie.

Dubbing is decent, so you can watch it in English.

From technical point of view (effects, CGI) is on par with best Hollywood blockbusters, or Expanse (on Space/Prime), I would give it 8 out 10.

From theatrical point of view (actors) will give it 2 out 10, absolutely unnatural reactions, no comprehensive dialog,  grunting all the time, shouting nonsense, it's like anime personages come to life.

From logical/scientific point of, it is zero. I don't want to give up the plot, or spoilers, but movie is full of holes in a plot, the main and biggest hole is moving Earth from its orbit with help of thrusters. And it's only a beginning, then sun slowly exploding, moving Earth through interstellar space and so on.

I like science fiction, but in one should be some logic, and some science. In this movie there is none.

I hope book is better, it got some prizes, but move is bad, very bad.

I rarely wright reviews, but this movie forced me to do so.

Watch for yourself, "your mileage may vary"

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics