•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A 26 Ah DIY powerbank for the laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain)

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:34 AM

Hi all,

When going outdoors with the telescope for doing some planetary imaging, I always was stuggling with juice for powering both the telescope and the laptop (specially for the later!). Finally, I decided that enough was enough and it was about time to get a powerbank for the laptop with enough Ah to last me a night worth of imaging.

Here you have the components I bougth:

And here is a picture of the resulting gitzmo:

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 17.42.55.jpeg

And here a closeup of the multimeter display when I connected the laptop to do some tests:

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-17 at 20.35.57.jpeg

The temperature measurement was clearly not correct, but the rest of the values seemed to be fine, so I'm rather happy of how it works (until I get to try it outdoors, that is). About the costs, I'd say below the 100€ mark for sure.

Regards,

NV

• happylimpet, Phucdang and wa5dxp like this

#2 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain)

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:12 AM

Update:

Yesterday I dry tested the powerbank (by connecting it to the laptop and running nonstop youtube videos with the display at 100% brightness) for about 7.5 hours and its voltage went down to 11.5V. By looking at the display during the process, the laptop (plus the DC/DC) consumption was about 2.5 A so it seems like, in total, I drew about 22.5 Ah from it (86% of its nominal capacity!). I'm pretty convinced that it will last me a night of outdoors imaging, even in colder conditions.

One thing I'm going to change from it is to get rid of the cigarrete plug and socket system altogether. Quite annoyingly, they tend to disconnect rather easily. Instead I've ordered these sturdier set of connectors.

Regards,

NV

• jonalmada likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics