•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 6SE -- will higher end eyepieces make much of a difference?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 diaspora04

diaspora04

Sputnik

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cos Cob, CT

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

After a couple of months with the scope using mostly the Celestron Luminos 15mm and 10mm EPs, I have enjoyed familiarizing myself with both the scope and the winter skies.  In decent conditions, I have been able to resolve -- to some degree -- almost every DSO target I have sought out.  I woke up early for Jupiter about a month ago and was disappointed that I could not make out much detail, but Jupiter was low in the sky and seeing was poor.  The experience, though, did make me wonder about how far I could push the scope with higher quality eyepieces.

In a recent fit of eyepiece fever, I purchased a 13mm Nagler T6 on the used market and look forward to using it tonight for the first time.  I wonder how much difference it will make.

How have you other Celestron SCT owners fared with higher end eyepieces?

Dan in Cos Cob

#2 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:30 AM

Different people will give you different conflicting opinions. In very good seeing you may see a significant difference with the Nagler. But whether you will have such conditions soon is another question. Finally, the Nagler only gives a magnification of 115 which is not enough to see detail on planets very well.

Edited by HarryRik9, 18 February 2019 - 08:37 AM.

• mrowlands and Wire like this

#3 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

I too have Luminos eyepieces. Great eyepieces. I'm sure higher end will get you a little better seeing, but your views depends on the weather, atmosphere and where and what time you're viewing. The 6se is a slow f10. I found that I get better crisp views from my xt8 than my 8se. The xt8 is a fast f5. The 6 inch aperture you have is great, but going up in apature is gonna give you better views because of the better light gathering capabilities of larger scopes. Keep the Luminos and the 6se, maybe look for a 8 inch dobsonian as a complementary scope to the 6se.

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

When the seeing is poor and the target low to the horizon --- better eyepieces won't help much and probably if at all.  

However - when the seeing is good and you're targets are higher in the sky - superior eyepieces will deliver superior results.  The improvement can be minimal to significant depending on a host of factors besides just "seeing" and distance from the horizon.

M11Mike

• Wire likes this

#5 TomNC

TomNC

Lift Off

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

And then there is that old saying in astronomy.... "A good eyepiece will do more to improve a bad scope, than a good scope will do to improve a bad eyepiece".  (I'm not saying that your scope or eyepieces are bad... That's a general guideline only).  Personally I've always been a believer in "Good Glass" . I agree with others here that if your target is down in the soup, you're not going to be happy with anything, but on any "average" night you will never regret having spent the extra $ for good glass. After all, when the day ever comes that you want to get out of the hobby, that high end eyepiece is going to get you a decent chunk of your purchase price back upon sale! 

Tom

• PatrickVt likes this

#6 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

I have a C8 and in my experience the difference between good and decent eyepieces is subtle at best.
They may have other benefits (e.g. the XWs are very comfortable) but I would rather have a l/8 IM and a bunch of t-japan than a C8 and a set of XWs.
In any case high-end eyepieces do not cause damages, so if have them, put at good use the invested "capital"😁

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

I think one of the better investments that I've made for my C8N has been a really good eyepiece.  I got a StellarVue Optimus 13.5mm 100 degree eyepiece when one popped up on their CPO website.  The wider field of view is what makes the big difference over the plossl eyepieces that come with the scope, and the ones included in Celestron's eyepiece assortment kit.  It's hard to describe the effect.  The 100 degree view sucks you into the scope, making you feel like you're floating out in space.

I don't know if the visceral effect would be more or less with the longer focal length of the 6SE (1500 vs my 1000), but presume it would still be significant.  If you're trying to focus on something small (e.g. a planet), then I agree that there's probably not much benefit.  But the experience of just gazing through the telescope with the Optimus eyepiece can be breathtaking.

One warning, though.  These eyepieces are big.  About the size, weight, and to some extent, cost of a good DSLR telephoto lens.  The one I bought was chosen after spending a year playing with Celestron's assortment kit, and realizing that I spent most of my time with just one of them (the 13mm).  I still have the assortment, and still do use them.  But when I really want to just sit back and gaze at the sky, I reach for the Optimus.

• parebal0 likes this

#8 AJK 547

AJK 547

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, Ill.

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

Dan, I acquired my 6SE back last Aug. and 'first light'  was actually the finest 'seeing' conditions I've had to date under the LP skies of Chicago.  I was completely new to the scope so I had absolutely no baseline of expectations. 

The 1st hour. of viewing Jupiter, Saturn, Mars (a bust back in Aug. last year with the storm) was good but a little 'soft' to my eyes.  However, when I settled in again after 2 hrs. of letting the scope 'cool down' to ambient temps. the pure magic set in!  Jupiter SNAPPED into excellent resolution, NEB (northern edge had 'festoons' and 4 - 5 red cyclonic storms) and the SEB was more benign.  I was using my Meade 3000 6.7 P 224X (Japan) and was sooooo excited in the views that I immediately GOTO'd to Saturn and AGAIN the new views of Saturn had so much more detail (A and B rings, Cassini Div. even saw a well defined Encke Gap!).  I then GOTO'd to Mars and as expected the planetary dust storm allowed nothing as to views. 

So, I then decided that this 'little' engine can produce some great visual experiences under moments of excellent 'seeing' and proper 'cool down'.  I've found that the EP's I use most often during a session are my TV 32 P, Baader Hyperion Zoom MkIV 8-24, the Meade 4000 6.7 UWA P and recently the Baader Hyperion Barlow (2.25X). 

I'm also experimenting in using the Baader Contrast Booster filter (excellent on Mars and nice improvement on Jupiter) and my Lumicon UHC and OIII filters for various nebula.  Finally, I hated the ergonomics of the Celestron Star Prism Diag. with thumbscrews and ended up purchasing the Baader Zeiss T-2 Prism (w/BBHS) and saw again an improvement in contrast and color rendition.  The Baader Click-lock gives me very easy and solid EP switching and was another nice 'upgrade' in using my small EP collection.

As everyone states above, the 6SE is an very fine performer when we get magical 'seeing' moments and can appreciate the optical capabilities of this 'little engine that can'...

Edited by AJK 547, 18 February 2019 - 11:03 PM.

#9 cjxing

cjxing

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ozark, Missouri, USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:38 PM

I have a 6se, it came with 25mm plossl, I bought the complete set of celestron omni plossl, deemed them low quality, did a lot of research on here and other sites, ended up ordering a couple celestron x-cels and was blown away, ended up buying all of them except the 2.3mm which surpasses our scopes capability. Very happy, one step down from your lumanos. But what i read from reviews the Xcel is hard to beat for the money and work excellent with the 6se.

#10 BGazing

BGazing

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

Dan, I acquired my 6SE back last Aug. and 'first light'  was actually the finest 'seeing' conditions I've had to date under the LP skies of Chicago.  I was completely new to the scope so I had absolutely no baseline of expectations. 

The 1st hour. of viewing Jupiter, Saturn, Mars (a bust back in Aug. last year with the storm) was good but a little 'soft' to my eyes.  However, when I settled in again after 2 hrs. of letting the scope 'cool down' to ambient temps. the pure magic set in!  Jupiter SNAPPED into excellent resolution, NEB (northern edge had 'festoons' and 4 - 5 red cyclonic storms) and the SEB was more benign.  I was using my Meade 3000 6.7 P 224X (Japan) and was sooooo excited in the views that I immediately GOTO'd to Saturn and AGAIN the new views of Saturn had so much more detail (A and B rings, Cassini Div. even saw a well defined Encke Gap!).  I then GOTO'd to Mars and as expected the planetary dust storm allowed nothing as to views. 

So, I then decided that this 'little' engine can produce some great visual experiences under moments of excellent 'seeing' and proper 'cool down'.  I've found that the EP's I use most often during a session are my TV 32 P, Baader Hyperion Zoom MkIV 8-24, the Meade 4000 6.7 UWA P and recently the Baader Hyperion Barlow (2.25X). 

I'm also experimenting in using the Baader Contrast Booster filter (excellent on Mars and nice improvement on Jupiter) and my Lumicon UHC and OIII filters for various nebula.  Finally, I hated the ergonomics of the Celestron Star Prism Diag. with thumbscrews and ended up purchasing the Baader Zeiss T-2 Prism (w/BBHS) and saw again an improvement in contrast and color rendition.  The Baader Click-lock gives me very easy and solid EP switching and was another nice 'upgrade' in using my small EP collection.

As everyone states above, the 6SE is an very fine performer when we get magical 'seeing' moments and can appreciate the optical capabilities of this 'little engine that can'...

Encke gap in 6 inches? Nah, you were seeing a minima, but still very nice.

As to the question posed, good EPs will always get the most out of the telescope..and can be used in other scopes, no matter how fast or slow they are. 

#11 AJK 547

AJK 547

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

Encke gap in 6 inches? Nah, you were seeing a minima, but still very nice.

As to the question posed, good EPs will always get the most out of the telescope..and can be used in other scopes, no matter how fast or slow they are.

Greetings, I've attached an Internet image that defines the 'Encke Division' in the 'A Ring' structure.

HONESTLY, I've seen this Encke Division twice (under extremely good 'seeing') with my 6SE, Baader Zeiss diag. and Meade 3000 6.7 SP (Japan).

Sooooo, is the depicted Encke Division = 'Encke Gap' or did I see Encke Minima ?

Again, I'm still getting used to this scope (I may have simply gotten lucky and acquired an extremely good sample), but under the very rare excellent 'seeing' sky moments, this 6SE has presented Surpurb... Highly Detailed views of our planetary neighbors.

Attached Thumbnails

• PIA06175_Labeled (1).jpg

Edited by AJK 547, 20 February 2019 - 01:45 PM.

#12 BGazing

BGazing

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Encke minima, I often see it too.

For Encke gap you need I reckon 12 inches or 14 and superb seeing.

#13 AJK 547

AJK 547

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:23 PM

Encke Gap and Minimum.jpg

Encke minima, I often see it too.
For Encke gap you need I reckon 12 inches or 14 and superb seeing.

Thanks for clarifying it for me! One more question, in the attached Hubble image it defines the 'Gap/Divison' and the 'Minimum'. With the 6SE (under excellent 'seeing' conditions) what I observed was the very narrow... dark... band near the outer edge of the 'A Ring'. Has the Hubble image been incorrectly labeled???

Edited by AJK 547, 20 February 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#14 BGazing

BGazing

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

Here's one discussion on the subject. smile.gif

https://www.cloudyni...nd-gapdivision/

Edited by BGazing, 20 February 2019 - 02:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics