•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Order binoculars through amazon?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: NH

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

I am wondering if anyone has ordered binoculars through amazon? I would especially like to hear about what happened if you encountered a problem with the binoculars and you had to return them.

The reason I am asking is that I am exploring Omegon Argus binoculars and they have no reviews on amazon. Here is the link to the binoculars in question: LINK

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

The company has their own site that actually has a lot of tech info there >>>

https://www.omegon.eu/

And this, right here on Cloudy Nights >>>

https://www.cloudyni...0-review/page-3

Hers's one (of many) tech-spec from that omegon site >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 22 bino eyepieces mechanical drawing.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 18 February 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#3 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:00 PM

I ordered Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 bins from Amazon and had no issues with the bins.  I also order 2 cheap 8x21 Evursua Mini Bins to keep in the car for a quick look.  I did not have any issues with them.  No double moon or stars when checking them.

#4 pregulla

pregulla

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:47 AM

I have ordered Nikon Aculon 8x42, in used, like new condition, that I had some problems with. I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning them, so I agreed on partial refund with the seller. I could have also shipped it back at sellers expense for full refund. I think Amazon is safer in that respect than eBay or AliExpress.

I have also bought new Fujifilm Glimpz and Bushnell Legacy, both arrived in perfect condition. 

#5 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

I am wondering if anyone has ordered binoculars through amazon? I would especially like to hear about what happened if you encountered a problem with the binoculars and you had to return them.

The reason I am asking is that I am exploring Omegon Argus binoculars and they have no reviews on amazon. Here is the link to the binoculars in question: LINK

What kind of "reviews" are you looking for?  You don't say which model you're interested in.  The MS binos have been pretty well covered here on CN regardless of branding.  They are not an unknown; they're very good binos.  

The Amazon listings you linked are sold by the Astroshop store in Germany so returns could be more difficult.  US dealers are hard to come by aside from APM's Outdoor Sports Optics store; they only sell the MS ED models. The 16x70 size non-ED MS is sold in the USA by Astro Physics but they're listed at $520.  Highly reputable US dealer, though, so no hassles.

Rich

#6 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

I have personally ordered 2 sets of binos from Amazon and have had to return both sets mutiple times to get a pair that weren't knocked out of collimation. The first was a set of Celestron 25X100s.These were shipped in a double walled carton and the thin cordura case. I had to send them back 3 times till I got a satisfactory pair. The others were a pair of Celestron EclipSmart 10x25s. these were shipped in the display case placed in a plastic shipping bag, NOT even in a bubble wrapped bag, just plastic. I had to sent them back twice. The returns process was easy and no hassle. With the EclipSmart Binos I actually received my replacements before I had chance to send the others back. In the return form it asks for input as to how to improve the process and I commented that optics needed more protection but that was taken about as well if I had told it to a wall. lol

#7 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

The only binoculars that I have ordered through Amazon were the Pentax Papilion 6.5x21. They arrived in a flimsy bubble envelope. They were also totally out of collimation. I went online to return them and complain about the packaging. Their replacement arrived the next day in the same flimsy packaging however this pair was in perfect shape. I printed out the return label from the amazon website and mailed back the damaged pair.

my general experience with Amazon has been exceptional especially when it comes to returning things for whatever reason.

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

Ordered several binos from Amazon , no issues, came fast, I returned one pair as they were not what I exactly needed, no issues again, D.

• hallelujah and BFaucett like this

#9 jcj380

jcj380

Apollo

• Loc: Chicago 'burbs. Bortle 7-8

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

I ordered Celestron Skymaster 15x70s.  They arrived with an internal baffle jangling around in one tube.  I took them to my local Kohl's store for a return and replacement.  The replacement 15x70s were badly out of collimation but I kept them and eventually collimated them myself.  The exchange was ridiculously simple - the hardest part was driving 6 miles to Kohl's.

#10 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

my general experience with Amazon has been exceptional especially when it comes to returning things for whatever reason.

Same experience here.

• GrahamDFyffe likes this

#11 genelew

genelew

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Westchester County NY

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

I just received my Zeiss Victory 8x25 pocket binoculars today and they are perfect, but Zeiss packs the bino in a very sturdy box.

• BRCoz likes this

#12 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

I just received my Zeiss Victory 8x25 pocket binoculars today and they are perfect, but Zeiss packs the bino in a very sturdy box.

Hopefully you like them as much as I do. The case that comes with them is absurdly large as is the neck strap. I replaced the neck strap with a Rick Young Outdoors binocular harness and the case with a Lowepro small camera case.

#13 ihf

ihf

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:59 AM

I have bought all my optics online. Most manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Pentax) pack their binos in sturdy carton boxes, that even if squished a bit during transport protect the content. (Two Papilios were sent just in simple plastic bags and survived with badly squished boxes.) Vixen was a bad experience. A 7x50 I ordered was sold just in a thin paper box. Adorama put this into a shipping box with a single inflated plastic bags on the side. This bino got badly knocked out of collimation. As I bought from Adorama via Amazon the return was not a problem. I mostly blame Vixen for not preparing its product for mail orders. (Of course Adorama should have known to package optics better as well, but at the end of the day other manufacturers products survived similar or worse shipping abuse.)

• BFaucett likes this

#14 BimStar

BimStar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

I've bought 6 pairs (Kept one pair) over the past few years. 

Returns were simple and straightforward.

Packing left much to be desired as cushioning was only as good as what the manufacturer provided in the box (With a few air bags added by Amazon) but, apart from a Celestron Binocular arriving out of alignment (Which according to what I've repeatedly read most likely didn't have anything to do with Amazon itself) everything always arrived in good condition and worked as expected.

The only thing I think you should look out for is that some binoculars may be sold by third-parties through Amazon and not directly by Amazon themselves so check to make sure the return policy is clear.

#15 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: NH

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

While I like hearing that returning binoculars has not been problematic mostly, I don't like the sound of how it often gets packaged poorly. I think I will order directly from a dealer who can tell me how they are going to ship it to me.

Thanks for all the feedback!

#16 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

Please consider purchase from the sponsors and advertisers on this one-of-kind, astronomer owned website, Cloudynights.com, for many reasons.  Not the least being that the desired optic will be shipped with more than a shard of bubble-wrap!

• Sean Wood likes this

#17 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:40 AM

Wallcreeper, in your OP, you asked about a specific line of binoculars that are sold by a German dealer that has an Amazon storefront.  What you ended up with were various experiences with Amazon purchases, many of which were shipped directly from an Amazon facility or from a particular dealer affiliated with Amazon.

While items shipped from a typical Amazon warehouse can certainly be shoddily packed, it's doubtful to me that Astroshop, who deals with shipping optics all the time, would throw a bino they sell into a box with a couple of air pillows and send it on its merry way like an Amazon warehouse would.  Why don't you call them and ask about their overseas packing and return policy?  The seller information is provided; then you'll know specifically what you're dealing with:

Astroshop

I've had binos shipped from APM in Germany and they were packaged very well and arrived unscathed.  I don't see why purchasing from another German vendor would have to be any different.  Occasionally, even well packed products can be damaged by shippers.  As I pointed out in my first reply, only the distance and shipping costs may be a problem if you need to make a return for some reason.  

Rich

#18 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

Regardless of what some may say about convenience and what have you (as of this posting I haven't read any of the other responses to your question), I would never, ever order delicate optical (or musical, or scientific) equipment from Amazon.

Only from a dedicated camera or telescope store, run by people who know how to treat optics right.

Edit: I see much agreement.

Edited by Astroman007, 20 February 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#19 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

Years ago I ordered my Vixen 8x56 Geoma Porro binocular from Amazon.

I don't remember much about the packaging, but, the Vixen

arrived collimated & in excellent condition. like-button.jpg 

Never had any problems with it.

Stan

• Binojunky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics