•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade vs Celestron SCTs for EAA

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mikenoname

mikenoname

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Death Valley

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

In my poking around this subforum over the last few months I have noticed a lot discussion around the Celestron offerings (SE8 and Evolutions) but very little about their Meade equivalents. Is there some particular reason for this? Is one better than another for EAA?

Specifically, how does an SE8/Evo compare to an 8 inch LX200, for example?

Or do I simply have some lopsided research that has given me a skewed perspective?

#2 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

An LX200 mount is designed for AP and will thus be expected to give you better tracking.  What's more, you can get a wedge for it and use it as an equatorial mount - it is nicely designed for that.

The LX200 is more comparable to the CPC series Celestron telescopes.

But for the OTA I'd be considering getting either the EdgeHD version of the Celestron scopes or the ACF version of the Meade SCT.  Both of these are Corrected SCTs and a CSCT just does better for imaging.  I think most imagers think the EdgeHD is better than is the ACF but I've seen very good stuff done with the ACF and I don't claim to know which is better myself.

• chakel likes this

#3 chakel

chakel

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

Well, if you want to use a Hyperstar for EAA you don’t have much of a choice.

• StarryHill likes this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

In my younger days I did own a LX200 and a wedge, and did some AP with it. For EAA I much prefer the lighter setup of a removable OTA on either a GEM (which I currently have), or on an Alt-Az mount such as the Evo. In addition to the lower weight of a removable OTA, there is the flexibility of swapping different OTAs on a mount like the Evo or a GEM. You are probably not going to want to piggyback additional OTAs on a Meade LX200 or the Celestron CPC series.

• DSO_Viewer likes this

#5 StarryHill

StarryHill

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

Celestron also has the RASA option which is great for EAA. There's an 8" available that's not too expensive. As an added benefit, being so fast -- f/2 -- the demands on the mount go way down. You typically don't need to guide. Here's a sample using a RASA 11 with the Atik Horizon and its EAA software. Just a few 60s subs (maybe 5). No guiding. Zero post processing. 

rasa M33

Edited by StarryHill, 18 February 2019 - 11:19 PM.

• S1mas, chakel and cmooney91 like this

#6 mikenoname

mikenoname

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Death Valley

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

Thanks guys! Very helpful.

#7 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

Hi 

I’m no expert but I’ve heard from experts in CN that RASA is overkill for EAA and would not work well for visual which seems to be every EAA enthusiast’s second choice for observing. Also, never heard of anyone guiding for EAA. If RASA is of interest, I’d suggest doing more research first and I think you’ll probably find it’s for AP not EAA. 

Good Luck. 

#8 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:50 PM

I know EAA’ers using RASA11 for EAA on NightskiesNetwork, Mark for sure does.  I know Chris on NSN used to guide for stacking on the fly, not sure if he still does though.  With a small format chip fast FL will get you more field of view and fast speed never hurts for EAA. 

#9 Kaikul

Kaikul

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:12 AM

Optically and functionally, there  shouldn't be much of a difference between there two brand of SCTs, if there is any at all. Flexibility-wise, however, I would gladly recommend Celestron over Meade.

(This actually is a bummer for me because I'm a satisfied owner of an LX-90 8" SCT EMC. I'm not the original owner, and I don't know how many owned it before me, but as one of the preeminent astro blogger once said, "it simply works.")

If I knew then what I know now, and had the choice instead of the darn astro-fever, I'd be an even more satisfied 8SE owner considering the following:

1. 8SE OTA can be easily removed from it's mount and mounted on a GEM without much fuss.

2. The 8SE mount can then be used to mount another OTA of your choosing, as long as it can carry the weight and size.

3. Or you can sell the mount if you want to since there's a market for that due to reason #2.

4. To get a wider FOV, you can use either of Meade's 0.33xFR/FF (if you can find one) or 0.63FR/FF in addition to Hyperstar.

5. Meade don't do Hyperstar. (Big loss to them and their users)

6. Meade simply doesn't supply useful accessories such as Starsense and Wi-fi dongle that Celestron do. Their answer to Celestron accessories? AudioStar. It's nice to have but not half as useful in my experience, and there's no volume control.

I understand that the OP asked for LX200 vs 8SE comparison. I've never had an LX200 nor used one before yet I know that model is a step-up from the LX90. I believe, however, that the reasons I have pointed out still applies.

• mikenoname likes this

#10 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:34 AM

Depending on exactly what you want to do, I'd think that the RASA OTAs should be excellent for OAP.

Lots of aperture with very good optics and upgraded mechanicals should mean great images acquired rapidly.  The fast optics means it is a compact package and doesn't require an enormous and terribly expensive mount.

Yup, you can't use the RASA with an eyepiece but there are plenty of OAP people who have little to no use for the eyepiece (I'm temporarily one of them unless it is a binocular system, but only temporarily).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics