•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone Try Night Vision (Mod3 + PVS-7) with C8 HD or XLT

Celestron NV
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Ray,

Why two 8” scopes... I was thinking of one complementing the other. An example is say the Bubble Nebula with additional nebulosity as well as M52 ( whatever the cluster is) in the same area. At f2.8 the area looks good but small - rotate mount and see same area with greater scale - the Bubble itself or the other objects without adding extra pieces to the Boren-Simon.

== I use the BS8 at f4 quite a bit // I use a filter wheel for either f ratio

== I have a TV 2x Powermate and tried a couple of times but I admit I need to try this again - the length of protrusion out of focuser (Wheel, 2x PM, NV device) looks extreme.

== the C11 is too much for me and maybe the AYO

== the 9.25 is a possibility 

== the C8, u180 are possible

== u210 ($$)

The Mewlon f/# seem high - the Intes was M15, too high for NV. 

Earlier today I sent message to TS as they offer an 8” RC:

https://www.teleskop...-be-chosen.html

My preference is to get a scope that will do well with NV and on moon and planets.

#27 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

Ray,

I'm not sure what to do but the good news is this is not life-threatening and I don't need a scope "tomorrow".

In the photo, I cut pieces of molding to mimic what tube length would be best - this includes a couple inches for diagonal.

I have added a 6.5" riser for the AYO (not shown in this photo) and adjusted the tripod legs just to play around and:

== The APM 140 ED refractor is too long in my opinion

== I worry that the refractors in the ~ 100mm range will disappoint due to small aperture

== The Esprit 120mm I $200 more than the u210

== I have a spine issue and since 2016 sold a G11, Lunt LS152 Ha / Night time scope (I miss this scope the most), Vixen 260L VMC and other stuff. So...

== Reason for buying the Planet and AYO - both are light and easy to move in / out and I want this hobby to be fun and easy. This is why the u180 or a type of 8" appeals

Decided as of now to drive up to NEAF to look and ask Qs of various vendors.

Thanks for writing.

Attached Thumbnails

• AYO_1.JPG

#28 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:24 AM

That sounds pretty reasonable and is a good explanation.  You might want to search in the Cats & Casses forum for threads concerning any selections you are considering just to consider any shortcomings that might distract from the pleasure of use.  Here's a link as an example that provides some sound arguments for/against Edge HD vs C9.25.  Wishing you well on this adventure. 

#29 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: F'd up Sanctuary State

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:48 AM

The Mewlon f/# seem high - the Intes was M15, too high for NV. 

Earlier today I sent message to TS as they offer an 8” RC:

https://www.teleskop...-be-chosen.html

My preference is to get a scope that will do well with NV and on moon and planets.

I have a Mewlon 250 (f12) sometimes I run it at f9.2 with a Tak reducer.

This scope coupled with NV eats globular clusters and edge-on galaxies for breakfast.

e.g.

M13:

M13 Glob Hercules Mew250f12 8sec 50iso
M82
M82 Galaxy Mewlon250f9.2 10sec 50iso

• Jeff Morgan, GeezerGazer, will w and 2 others like this

#30 Gavster

Gavster

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

I have a Mewlon 250 (f12) sometimes I run it at f9.2 with a Tak reducer.

This scope coupled with NV eats globular clusters and edge-on galaxies for breakfast.

e.g.

M13:

M82

Great images. What iso and exposure times did you use for these? 

#31 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:56 AM

Ray - my dream state has become infected with telescope stuff.

Jay -  no joke, Saturday I went to look at several of your videos as I recall you use the u250. 

Used a focal reducer with the Intes at f/15 and have no idea what it reduced to but specific objects like M22, M82... looked good even though the overall view was too dark.

Stay tuned

• GeezerGazer likes this

#32 chemisted

chemisted

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

The TS RC link you provided specifies the scope has dielectric coatings.  Remember, such coatings DO NOT transmit near infra-red wavelengths that intensifiers relish.  Avoid these coatings like the plague.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#33 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

Chem — who knew. Thank you for the advice. So this has to mean if a scope requires a diagonal, to avoid dielectric here too. Which diagonal(s) should be used?

Night Vision is automatically narrowing my choices... maybe that’s not a bad thing.

#34 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

That’s interesting information. To quote Mark, who knew? FWIW, I’ve used dielectric diagonals with NV in a refractor before with no noticeable ill effects, but I wonder if that’s because I didn’t know what to look for?

I have a Baader Zeiss prism diagonal with BBHS coatings, so I need to compare if my weather ever cooperates. APM has a 2” prism diagonal with broadband coatings; I wonder if it would be a good choice? The Baader mirror diagonal with BBHS coatings is a bit rich for me. 

#35 chemisted

chemisted

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:19 PM

The dielectric issue was covered in this thread:   https://www.cloudyni...bular-clusters/

The T-2  Baader silver diagonal has been a spectacular addition to my viewing pleasures.  I highly recommend it.

• DMala likes this

#36 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

This was discussed in a thread started by GeezerGazer in 2006 also:

https://www.cloudyni...ectro-i3-piece/

though the person bringing the issue into light here has some odd filter avoidance recommendations.....maybe those older tubes Collins used didn’t do narrowband as well back then, but I find that odd because I had some tubes older that are thick film and still pick up Ha very well.

Edit - wow, I guess NV use wasn’t shunned back in 2006 in the regular Eyepieces forum. What happened since then?

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 25 February 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#37 chemisted

chemisted

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

Von - The narrow band filter utility wasn't "discovered/reported" until over a year later:

https://www.cloudyni...i3-system-r1602

• Vondragonnoggin likes this

#38 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Von - The narrow band filter utility wasn't "discovered/reported" until over a year later:

https://www.cloudyni...i3-system-r1602

Now that’s an interesting history progression between 2006 and 2007.

That article, by the way, was a great inspiration for me when I was initially researching a solution to see more in my backyard. Mallincam articles too. It all led me to the Video Astronomy forum here (now rebadged as EAA)

The pioneers. I’m sure there were others modding military NV gear but Collins and Doug Baum (BiPH) really did the Astro community a great service with their products.

Wish we had a consolidated information section here. The amount of experimentation done by members here is beneficial reading for those new seeking advice.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 25 February 2019 - 05:56 PM.

• GeezerGazer and Doug Culbertson like this

#39 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

The dielectric issue was covered in this thread:   https://www.cloudyni...bular-clusters/

The T-2  Baader silver diagonal has been a spectacular addition to my viewing pleasures.  I highly recommend it.

Dang, I read that and forgot about it.

BTW, that silver diagonal, is this it? https://www.teleskop...da-surface.html

i don’t see that it’s a t-thread though. 

• GeezerGazer likes this

#40 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

Dang, I read that and forgot about it.

BTW, that silver diagonal, is this it? https://www.teleskop...da-surface.html

i don’t see that it’s a t-thread though. 

Doug, there are T2 and 2" versions of the BBHS; and, both are available from US retailers who carry Baader products.  The BBHS designation signifies Broad Band Hard Silver coatings; you can see them in this link:

Edited by GeezerGazer, 25 February 2019 - 07:27 PM.

#41 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: F'd up Sanctuary State

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Great images. What iso and exposure times did you use for these? 

M13:  8 sec, 50 iso

M82: 10sec 50 iso

which requires a tracking mount, but I pre-align with a polar scope and that's it for alignment.

• GeezerGazer and Gavster like this

#42 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

Doug, there are T2 and 2" versions of the BBHS; and, both are available from US retailers who carry Baader products.  The BBHS designation signifies Broad Band Hard Silver coatings; you can see them in this link:

Thanks Ray, but I like to purchase Baader products from Germany when I can because I usually pay less than from US dealers, even with shipping, and I’ve never had to pay duty on smaller items like this. 

• GeezerGazer likes this

#43 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:22 PM

Ray - my dream state has become infected with telescope stuff.

rofl2.gif !

#44 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

Ray, 

Out last night for 5+ hours before turning into a popsicle. BS8” At f/4. At one point I removed filter wheel, inserted 2x Powermate- it was too cold to to fool with filters in wheel and too cumbersome to go inside... and I already have 2 sets of filters (2nd set are in the Nikon F to C adapters). Anyway, with no filter at f8 or so, M82, etc.. look pretty good (IR filters are required to me with east coast LP). 

The issue is I wanted to go back and compare with f4. This convinced that while a Refractor will have good contrast, etc, I don’t need a smaller aperture view. At f4 the Leo Triplet fits well in the FOV.

While at the Markarian Chain area, a sweep from right to left, I counted 14 galaxies ( filter wheel back in and 2x out), yes they were small but visible.

I hesitate on the C8 and 9.25 as I’ve have not seen either but this 1.25” VB is a new thing - the Intes Micro 178mm I just sold had a 2” thread connection. So I don’t know what effect this will have on the view — the 1.25” VB and whatever adapters are required.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics