•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My final Slooh Assement (attached file)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

My final and personal thoughts on Slooh:
For my EAA needs:
Things I like:
1. Lots of different scopes in 2 different areas make for many imaging opportunities
2. Large scopes and small refractors for different objects
3. PNG for EAA and Fits if you want to process
4. Cost is very moderate compared to AP remote scopes
5. Presets work for most objects on the right scope (learning curve here)
6. Can almost always get on one of the scopes every day for your runs (only 5 active at one time)
7. I am retired and often can get 10 or 15 image runs per day if I want
8. So far every day that is cloudy here is clear in one of the 2 locations
9. You get to use scopes of various types which may help you in a purchase decision
10. There is a mosaic tool developed by one of the users that helps with making images that are larger in scale.

Things I don’t like:
1. When weather cancels a scope they do not automatically cancel your image runs on that scope and you may not be able to cancel them yourself.
2. I would say 1 in 15 imaging runs have some kind of technical issue. They do try and address these quickly if you report them.
3. There are no f20/30/40 options for really small stuff like Herschel/Able galaxies
4. While you can mosaic images, the supplied images are Bin and are often much smaller than the native sensor – almost all images are under HD resolution.
5. Many of the presets are for the “famous” targets and small items are often not exposed properly until you find which of the presets (no matter what they are labeled) will work on a specific object.
6. While someone has written a script for download the PNG and Fits files in Chrome (I don’t use chrome) your normal download one file at a time.
7. I don’t know if it is for research or there is just not the demand but Slooh does a lot of runs – mostly on the ends of the viewing day.
Considering I don’t want to do AP, I find the pluses outweigh the minuses for me personally in using Slooh. I think most folks doing EAA would find it “a good deal”. I don’t think most imagers would be happy with the file size and the intermittent issues I’ve seen.

I've attached an image (PNG) of Eta Carinae nebula (NGC 3372) from the C14 in Chile taken on a C14 @ f11 (don't know how long the actual exposure is but it builds on the screen for between 2 & 5 minutes. Since you can't see the cameras unless you are a member not sure I should post that. I can say it looked like this on the screen after about a minute or so)

Attached Thumbnails

• ngc3372_20190219_043758_0_j708a0_lrgb.jpg

Edited by Jeff Lee, 19 February 2019 - 05:25 PM.

• Starman27, S1mas, OleCuss and 2 others like this

#2 Starman27

Starman27

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

I've been a Slooh member since the first day. they have improved overtime and provide a forum for public astronomy. Your assessment is a very good one.

#3 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

Herman, I realize that for the $25 it really is a bargain if you can live with some of the issues - which I certainly can.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics