•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Snow Supermoon of Feb. 19, 2019

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Taken on the morning of Feb. 19 this supermoon will be the largest of 2019.

This is a 3 x 2 montage of images taken with a QHY5III-178C camera using a TPO 6" f/6 Newtonian and a Baader MPCC coma corrector. Image processing with AutoStakkert! (best 15% of 1600 subs for each section), Registax (wavelet sharpening), and Photoshop CC2017 (3 x 2 sections jointed and final tweaks). Reduced in size to 1200 x 1200 pixels to conform to the CN posting quidelines.

C&C welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Supermoon Feb 19 2019 with TPO 6in and QHY5III-178C.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 19 February 2019 - 10:41 AM.

• ArizonaScott, Carol L, John Rogers and 11 others like this

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

This looks good James, and presents well even at this greatly reduced 1200 pixel format, which can sometimes be challenging, as I find that often when downsizing a much larger processed image, the smaller image can take on an altered appearance that requires additional tweaks (which sometimes I don't bother with!).  Nice work.  

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:05 PM

This looks good James, and presents well even at this greatly reduced 1200 pixel format, which can sometimes be challenging, as I find that often when downsizing a much larger processed image, the smaller image can take on an altered appearance that requires additional tweaks (which sometimes I don't bother with!).  Nice work.  

Thanks and I agree that downsizing can change the desired appearance. In this case I actually did the final processing on a copy that was resized to 1200 x 1200 pixels.

That said, I'm not completely happy with how this reduced-sized copy turned out as I actually made most of the image adjustments when it was at a larger size. The seeing conditions were also not very good, particularly in the last half of the session (the Santa Ana winds started to "kick in," typical for the early AM where I live).

I'd also like to rotate the image slightly to put the north pole exactly at the 12 o'clock position, since that would isolate the terminator which seems to be mostly along the southern edge of the moon. This was taken about 6 hours before the precise full moon phase, but still pretty close and thus there should be very few shadows along the east and west limbs.

Edited by james7ca, 19 February 2019 - 11:26 PM.

#4 Foc

Foc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:14 AM

Quick work with the processing of your images from 19 Feb into a montage. You certainly convey a Super size for this moon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics