•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 140 Doublet Owners; What Do You Think?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#76 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

Mike, the AYO is going on a Berlebach Planet. I asked Beat Kohler about the extension that he offers and his reply was that, based on his 6” apo, the diagonal was likely to hit the tripod either way, so it’s best to just wait a half hour until the object at zenith passes zenith. I’m going to wait and see, but I might have to do the alt reference on the Nexus sans the scope, then do the alignment after I put the scope on the mount. 

Beat is the man, but I disagree with him on this one.

My Pier/Ext is 20" (Antares) so a little longer than the Orion version but

even if you still "eventually" hit the Tripod Legs it will allow for higher viewing angles.

WO EZT

BinocAPM.jpg

5" F6 Apo

More importantly it helps to keep you off the ground.

CN.jpg

My 6" F9 on a Duo-T (similar height as AYO) clears the Tripod legs.

Something to keep in mind. 

• mkThuraya likes this

#77 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: N. Florida

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Mike, photos help. The AYO half pier is only 7” tall, and the EQ6/Orion Atlas Pro extension is 8” tall. My Planet has the EQ6 plate, based on Beat’s suggestion. I wonder if either of those two options are tall enough to make a difference?

When I had the AT130EDT on the DSV-3 mount the diagonal would contact a tripod leg in some situations, but I just worked around it. I was using a Meade LX200 tripod and there was no suitable extension available. 

#78 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

Hi Doug,

We need pics when your mount arrives!

I also had the AT130.  Its was a very nice scope and felt chunky.  

#79 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

Rob,

I’ll post photos when the mount arrives.

while the 140 has a much wider OTA than the 130, and weighs around 3 pounds more, it does not feel nearly as awkward to me. With the dew shield extended and the rings moved midway up the tube, it’s perfectly balanced. 

#80 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

I think the AT130 was front heavy and that makes a difference.  I noticed it.  

So, are you going to keep the AT102?

#81 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:42 AM

For now I will keep the 102. I put it up for sale last week and had it sold, but the buyer changed his mind. I then got seller’s remorse and pulled the ad. I’m kind of up in the air in it right now, but it’s such a lightweight scope that it’s easy to take out. 

Heck, I may just use it for a counterweight on the AYO with the 140. lol.gif

• gene 4181 and mkThuraya like this

#82 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Mike, photos help. The AYO half pier is only 7” tall, and the EQ6/Orion Atlas Pro extension is 8” tall. My Planet has the EQ6 plate, based on Beat’s suggestion. I wonder if either of those two options are tall enough to make a difference?

When I had the AT130EDT on the DSV-3 mount the diagonal would contact a tripod leg in some situations, but I just worked around it. I was using a Meade LX200 tripod and there was no suitable extension available. 

Doug, 7" - 8" isn't much but it could be helpful in certain situations.  Working around it is probably the easiest solution.

I did have a friend who used an Orion 16" Ext with an Atlas Tripod.  He enlarged/tapped the M10 thread to M12 (I think those are the correct sizes).

Easy enough to do if needed.

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#83 emilslomi

emilslomi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

The 140 is big. Not big enough to turn me off, but big enough to leave space for a smaller scope for quick looks when time is tight or energy realy low. Do yourself a favor and keep the 102. If the 140 would become your smallest option, you WILL regret selling the 102.

I have the AOK extension and it helps. A slightly heavier finder and I would be set. Pondering a 4" Rumak if I ever find one or a 60 Tak ...

Cheers, Emil

Ps I'm using the 140 without counterweights. It works just fine with the Digi II.

Edited by emilslomi, 16 March 2019 - 10:03 AM.

• Doug Culbertson, Bomber Bob and mkThuraya like this

#84 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

The 140 is big. Not big enough to turn me off, but big enough to leave space for a smaller scope for quick looks when time is tight or energy realy low. Do yourself a favor and keep the 102. If the 140 would become your smallest option, you WILL regret selling the 102.

I have the AOK extension and it helps. A slightly heavier finder and I would be set. Pondering a 4" Rumak if I ever find one or a 60 Tak ...

Cheers, Emil

Ps I'm using the 140 without counterweights. It works just fine with the Digi II.

Thanks, Emil! That’s very helpful. I’ll contact Beat and add the extension to my order. 

#85 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, Emil! That’s very helpful. I’ll contact Beat and add the extension to my order. 

We're gonna want pics showing the OTA with and w/o the extension (as we're curious now).

#86 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

We're gonna want pics showing the OTA with and w/o the extension (as we're curious now).

I thought that went without saying! wink.gif

#87 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:35 AM

3.4hrs last night using QHY178M Cooled Mono and Optolong LRGB filters. Will add more data tonight. Moon is not helping at 50%..

2Ssjj.jpg

Edited by stryker66, 17 March 2019 - 11:36 AM.

• Jon_Doh, Bomber Bob, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#88 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

not much data with the  moon on the way so might as well capture both.. :D

2SuVa.jpg

2SuVh.jpg

• Jeff B, Richard Whalen, daquad and 4 others like this

#89 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:42 AM

NGC2392

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC2392_A140_2x_sharp.jpg

• Bomber Bob, Tyson M, Thomas Marshall and 1 other like this

#90 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Vallis Alpis

Attached Thumbnails

• vallis alpis.jpg

• Bomber Bob, bobzeq25, Tyson M and 3 others like this

#91 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

Okay, to reply with more than just pictures....

I really like my APM140.  The optics are excellent.  I did get the 3.7" focuser on it, and that's the only thing I'm not completely satisfied with - it has really stiff movement.  Loosening the tension setscrews on top helps, but at the expense of adding some slop.  Were I to do it over again, I would have gotten the regular focuser, then used the extra money for a Feather Touch.  The cost would have been very similar.  

Otherwise, it delivers excellent views, and can produce some very good images.  

• Doug Culbertson, Bomber Bob and mkThuraya like this

#92 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

I really like my APM140.  The optics are excellent.  I did get the 3.7" focuser on it, and that's the only thing I'm not completely satisfied with - it has really stiff movement.  Loosening the tension setscrews on top helps, but at the expense of adding some slop.  Were I to do it over again, I would have gotten the regular focuser, then used the extra money for a Feather Touch.  The cost would have been very similar.  

I have the 3.7" focuser on my 152.  It is very smooth.  Sounds like yours needs some adjustment other than the tension screws on top.  The small allen screws on the bottom are also used to adjust the focuser movement.  Perhaps Markus can help.

• mkThuraya likes this

#93 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

The rough focus knob on the 2.5” focuser is pretty stiff as well, while the fine focus is smooth as butter. Time will tell whether or not I’ll want to spring for a Feathertouch.

I’m still waiting for my mount, so it could be awhile before I have to make that decision. 

On edit: $1k for the Feathertouch and adapter? I’ll live with a little stiffness in the knob. 

#94 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

I have the 3.7" focuser on my 152.  It is very smooth.  Sounds like yours needs some adjustment other than the tension screws on top.  The small allen screws on the bottom are also used to adjust the focuser movement.  Perhaps Markus can help.

I've already completely rebuilt the focuser (including the fine focus planetary set).  The problem is there is a lot of drag/friction with the drawtube moving in the focuser body alone, even when the focuser shaft block is completely removed.  The knob and reduction system are buttery smooth and require very little force to move, but actually moving the drawtube requires a lot of effort.  

• mkThuraya likes this

#95 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

I've already completely rebuilt the focuser (including the fine focus planetary set).  The problem is there is a lot of drag/friction with the drawtube moving in the focuser body alone, even when the focuser shaft block is completely removed.  The knob and reduction system are buttery smooth and require very little force to move, but actually moving the drawtube requires a lot of effort.  

So a machining tolerance issue.  I'd still give Marcus a call and explain the problem.

#96 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

I revived this thread just to show the APM 140 on the AYO Digi II, that just arrived today. A couple of folks were wondering about any clearance issues with the tripod legs. I put the mount and short pier that Beat Kohler sells on the Planet tripod, and mounted the 140 on that. Given the way that the eyepiece sits when pointing at zenith, I’m not even going to try it without the pier attachment. 

It’s going to be cloudy and rainy until Monday, so no first light just yet. Given the way this setup looks, I expect no stability issues at all. 

Attached Thumbnails

• CAC86AE2-F863-4DB3-A0DE-57E8C70E8290.jpeg

• peleuba, JKAstro, SteveG and 5 others like this

#97 emilslomi

emilslomi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

What clamp do you use on the open side? The 140 is attached to a Losmandy type clamp from AOK? I like mine - nice finish. Our setups - scope, mount (red!) an tripod - are almost identical. I settled for the single clamps on the Planet, and my Digi is without encoders. I hope you will enjoy this combo as much as I do. All I'm missing is a good observing chair.

Cheers, Emil

PS reminds me of the way getting there ... when I started in early 2015, my budget for a COMPLETE setup was 1k. Little did I know ...

Edited by emilslomi, 02 May 2019 - 02:34 PM.

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#98 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have a Losmandy type saddle on both sides of the mount. The guide handle, which is not in the photo here, but can be seen in this photo, attaches to a Losmandy dovetail that comes with the handle. The whole mount is beautiful to look at. 

“PS reminds me of the way getting there ... when I started in early 2015, my budget for a COMPLETE setup was 1k. Little did I know ...”

I know exactly what you mean. Back in 1994 I struggled to afford an 8” Orion dob and four plossls. How times have changed. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 388C5A38-52A2-4035-8E80-E3F62D21F956.jpeg

#99 troy6666

troy6666

Explorer 1

• Loc: Washington DC and Virginia

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

I recently bought a new APM 140 and put it on my Stellarvue M-150.  At one time Stellarvue had talked about adding encoders to it, but apparently discontinued the mount before that happened.

I contacted Serge at Astro Devices and he made customized encoder mounts for it - he did a fantastic job, and did it all via dimensions I emailed him.  He charged me nothing extra, just the standard price for encoders.

I've included a pic of the setup.  Very solid and pretty portable.

The APM 140 is a very nice scope.  However, just let me say that even though I made a purchase from Markus several years ago, and it turned out fine, he took me to the cleaners on this one.  We came to an agreement on price that would include shipping/tax and customs (which is on the invoice I paid).

Received the package and soon after received a bill from DHL for custom charges. Talked to Markus many times and he claimed customs were paid at his end.  Anyway, long story short, he refused to work with DHL in any way to figure out why I was billed. I ended up paying DHL because I didn't want this going to a collection company.

So, I'm happy with the telescope, not happy with Markus - this will be the last time I ever make a purchase form him again. 

Troy

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190503_183610.jpg

• Doug Culbertson, stevew, Starman81 and 3 others like this

#100 troy6666

troy6666

Explorer 1

• Loc: Washington DC and Virginia

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

BTW - I added the FT 3.5" focuser. It originally came with the 2.5".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics