•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen Polaris Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sheikh Yerbooti

Sheikh Yerbooti

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:25 AM

I have a 1985 Vixen Polaris mount, although it's sitting at my friend's house until he gets back from out of town this weekend. Below is a picture of it. It has a Celestron C6 Newtonian on it. I want to mount a refractor on it. Can anyone tell me if the "saddle" thing at the top of the mount is removable? The refractor I want to use this with has a Vixen style dovetail.Thanks. Rick

#2 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

Hi...Mike again from Fairbanks.

The image was not attached, but I am pretty sure I know the answer, because this was a configuation I used on Polaris scopes

The ring saddles that you have  attach with a small "indent" in the bottom of the rings to the top of the POlaris head at the two bolt locations at the ends of the head. The Polaris head is unusual with the deep"V built it....it won't take a regular Vixen dovetail easily. 

You have several options, all of which I have used:

1.Machine a piece of aluminum bar that can fit down into the "v" and out to the bolt holes to attach to the head. The aluminum bar will need to have holes machined in it that can take a female dovetail head. The trick is getting the bar height correct to attach the female dovetail without it hitting the sides of the Polaris "V".

2. ADM makes a "V" shaped  block that attaches as above, and then a female dovetail block can attach to it. Excellent solution, but $$.

I can find some links and photos, and load them up tonight after work.

Mike

#3 Sheikh Yerbooti

Sheikh Yerbooti

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Mike. That's what I figured I'd have to do but wasn't sure. I'm going to go with option 2. Rick

#4 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

Sheik, 

I have picked up a second hand Polaris for a winter project and I am currently working on some of the same issues, mine was a little rough.  I have tried both, and I have decided in option #1...   I am a HUGE fan of ADM, everything thing is top notch, fit and finish; I have their full kits on both my CG-5 ASGT and CGEM.  But when considering options for this mount, the ADM adapter is considerably heavier than the 1" x 0.5" aluminum bar stock, and for this mount, i feel the heavier the adapter the less capacity is available.  I have considered weighing both parts, but it was a long day and I am feeling a little lazy this evening...  sorry.  I am also experimenting with a Chinese ~$30 dovetail from ebay, which I am surprisingly very happy with on this mount.  Pardon the photos, it is still a work in progress and I will polish the aluminum once I start finishing up.

IMG_20190219_213623 - small.jpg

IMG_20190219_213632 - small.jpg

IMG_20190219_213640 - small.jpg

By the way, Sheik Yerbooti is an excellent album, 

Clear Skies,

Jaimo!

#5 Sheikh Yerbooti

Sheikh Yerbooti

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

Last night I couldn't take it any longer. I cut a piece of hardwood flooring into a piece 30mm wide by 180mm long and mounted it in the saddle with screws. I then added an Idea Engineering Vixen adaptor plate to the top of the wood with screws and mounted the ES AR102 to it and it actually looked ok. Today I ripped that out' removed the viven dovetail and handle from the OTA and mounted the rings directly to the Polaris saddle. It's working great, although I'd prefer a dovetail. I just tried it in my "observatory" (dining room window). Right now the wind chill is minus 10F and the wind is about 30 miles per hour.In the past hour there was a 20 car pileup near my house on a 30 mph city street in a white out. What's that tell you? Rick

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:42 PM

This is a highly capable light duty mount as is its big brother the super polaris and their big big brother the SP-DX.  The Polaris can be used in alt-az mode, so can the super polaris.

Here's a link.    

Right now there is a celestron refractor with polaris mount for sale for a song on Astromart, $160.  Regrettably I don't need another mount and I don't need another refractor or I'd buy it.  In particular would be nice to re-sell it (same cost) to someone who is struggling with the junky 60 to 80 mm alt-az configurations that are not-so-great optics and not-at-all great mount.

Greg N

#7 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

The thing I don't like about the Vixen mounts and the plagiarized clones (much lower quality) is that you need to loosen the clutches before slewing the mount to a new position, and that gets real tired real fast.   This is not such a big deal on go-to configurations because the go-to does the slewing.  

The elegant simplicity of the Vixen Polaris/Great Polaris/Super Polaris series is appealing.  High quality machining and a stable tripod. The prices for the used kit is outrageously low.  There are Dec and RA motors available (or there were, maybe not any more) for these mounts.  The cheap ones from the clones were horrible.  The Vixen ones were great but expensive.

They were of use primarily on the Great Polaris.  For the Super Polaris you could put a drive on RA, which is great for tracking.  But it was real hard to get one for the Dec.  As it happens, Vixen had an adapter for the Super Polaris that allowed mounting a Dec motor, but these adapters are, as one person put it, "scarce as hen's teeth."

Greg N

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics