•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Docking Evolution mount on Vixen/EQ5 tripod head?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Out of the three parts of the Evolution package, I like tripod the least. Not particularly sturdy, and not particularly practical (nowhere to store stuff, etc. Evolution mount...well, once I stopped worrying about wifi and switched to the hand controller, it's OK, if not particularly versatile (Tak cannot clear much in altitude when mounted).

On the other hand, I love my Berlebach Uni 18, fitted with EQ5 head. I use AYO on it, and would not mind having only one tripod and saving some space in the flat. Other than bying something like AZEQ5, the only other solution would be to somehow mount Evo mount on Uni.

Has anyone built and used short docking port whereby Evo mount could be coupled with EQ5 tripod mounting plate. I saw people making some other adjustments, but not this particular one?

#2 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

Just found something that might work...is this the solution?

https://www.baader-p...ar-se--evo.html

#3 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Not sure if this will help but I built an adapter plate to mount my Evo on a pier.

https://www.cloudyni...-man-cave-ever/

#4 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

Not sure if this will help but I built an adapter plate to mount my Evo on a pier.

https://www.cloudyni...-man-cave-ever/

Bravo! I knew someone had to try such ungodly couplings before.

Incidentally, do you know what is the specification of those three spring-loaded screws which attach tripod to the mount?

#5 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

I am not quite sure. I believe they are 1/4-20 but I can't quite remember.  I think that means 1/4 inch diameter and 20 threads per inch.

Most hardware stores have a board with a bunch of female parts on it that you can use to see which one fits. The bolts are just held into the mount base with a little compression clip that is easy to remove.

As you (and the rest of the civilized world) are on the metric system, they may be a little harder to find...

#6 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

I found it. M10x1,5 over here, or 3/8x16 for you...it seems

#7 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

Yes, you are correct. It was 3/8. Good luck

#8 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

Rrrrright.

So I ordered this

https://www.teleskop...for-wedges.html

and it says that it 'fits to tripods from Vixen, Skywatcher and Bresser'. Pictures on Baader website showed hole for the azimuth pin and I presumed that EQ5 pin would fit.

However, the pin on my Uni18 EQ5 head appears to be too long, 30mm, and the hole is I guess 25-27. So either I hack it off (I'd rather not) or replace it with another, shorter one, or i drill Berlebach adapter in hope that the pin will fit. Or I just give up the attempt to fit Evolution on my favorite tripod.

I was under the impression that those pins are of standardized length? Why would Berlebach offer a longer pin that necessary?confused1.gif

#9 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

So even with the shortened pin, this does not work as it should, which is a bit of a disappointment. I am unable to fix a bit of play with the mount attached as the pin does not fit snugly in the provided hole. The end result is that the heavy Evo mount is fixed with one M10 bolt from below, while on Evo tripod it is fixed by three screws AND a main pin-to-hole stabilizer.

Evidently, the only way to fix this would be via another custom adapter, or by a Godzilla that is CPC heavy duty tripod and I am not too keen on either solution at the moment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics