•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Technical Instrument Corp. 76.2x1000mm

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:49 AM

I don't do FB so I can't even see the ad.

But  that is just down the road from me.

Good for you! I’m thinking I shouldn’t be doing it anymore either. It’s toxic. I have finally come to appreciate the TofS here. It’s a refuge from the cesspool that has become much of life.

• Vesper818, DreamWeaver, Compressorguy and 3 others like this

#27 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for investigating for us Chuck, hopefully it turns out to be a nice performer. Certainly one of a kind still, and the 76.2x1000 scopes are so rare.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#28 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:01 AM

I'm on a work marathon right now, by the time I got home last night, I was so tired that I just collapsed on the couch and dozed for an hour, sitting-up, while the dog chewed a bone next to me. Manged to bring the scope in from the car after dark, make a couple of posts just so I didn't leave you all hanging, ate a sparse supper and went to bed.  I'll get some better pics in coming days, thankfully tomorrow is Friday and I may not have to work Saturday though the week isn't over yet.  

• Jon Isaacs and Earthbound1 like this

#29 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

Even though I got it for a song, it's so beat that I have buyer's remorse.   I can get it functioning again but don' t see the point of it any time soon.  The box is in very good condition, but that's the only thing that is.

You'll probably get over any remorse when your more rested. I'm sure you kind of felt like, why did I add this to my pile of things to do?

Anyway, it's great that you saved it and I'm sure you could easily pass it on, but given it's uniqueness I have a feeling you'll keep it. At least for awhile. waytogo.gif  

#30 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

PM me an offer, Chris.  ;)  :lol:

• Kasmos likes this

#31 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

Tell you what Chuck, give me $5 and I'll take it off your hands.  grin.gif

#32 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:00 PM

I can always count on you, Keith.  :lol:

• DreamWeaver likes this

#33 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:26 PM

You drive a hard bargain!  You can keep the $5 and I'll take it off your hands.  lol.gif

#34 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:29 PM

The price just went up, it's no longer a Cracker Jack prize.  ;)

I managed to get it put together, using parts from my spares for the missing ones.  I found the sun filter hiding in the box, and the rest of the Barlow.  I just need a stock nut & bolt for the finder bracket, and need to replace the two white handles with reproductions.  I'll probably turn them from white acrylic on the mini-lathe.  So except for that darn clam, things are much better today than yesterday.   I will need to repaint the dewcap, it has a lot of paint missing from one side.   The finder is missing it's eyepiece or part of it, I have a spare from a Swift finder that may work.   And the clam isn't as big today as it was when I pointed it out to the seller, shaking my head and scowling.

I'll have pics on the weekend.

• DreamWeaver, Bomber Bob, jragsdale and 1 other like this

#35 Earthbound1

Earthbound1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gordo, Alabama

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Is there any way to take a lens like that and put it in/under a vacume and stabilize the clamshell? The vacuum caster we used had a 12" or so plexiglass dome we would put opals under with Hxtal to make doublets. Seems like the same epoxy/glue they use for windshield repairs would work... Just a thought! Glad it got "smaller" after you slept on it!

#36 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

No, it's best to not mess with it.  You can't put an optical figure on epoxy.  You black it out with a Sharpie and it doesn't affect the image at all.  Only the value.  :(

• Jon Isaacs and Earthbound1 like this

#37 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

So except for that darn clam, things are much better today than yesterday.      And the clam isn't as big today as it was when I pointed it out to the seller, shaking my head and scowling.

I know a Fan of Clams  not named Sam  that loves Clams and Spam I am ....rofl2.gif

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 21 February 2019 - 11:11 PM.

• clamchip and DreamWeaver like this

#38 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:16 PM

Oh, Robert was my first thought.  :lol:

• clamchip and TOM KIEHL like this

#39 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

And the clam isn't as big today as it was when I pointed it out to the seller, shaking my head and scowling.

I'm sure it was absolutely humongous then. lol.gif

Seriously, it's fair negotiating tactic when a seller isn't up to speed on something they may not know much about. 

• TOM KIEHL and Earthbound1 like this

#40 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

I finally have a couple of days off, it's been three weeks since my last time-off.  Kelly got a new toy to help her do her nails so I took advantage of the time to do some work on this scope.

TECH. INST. CO.  It carries the Infinity maker's mark.

006.jpg

One of the handles was missing, just a few pieces of plastic still stuck to the threaded insert.  The other one has been broken several times and crudely re-glued, though it's functional.  I decided to make a new pair of handles from Delrin block.

012.jpg

I removed the plastic from the shattered one and am saving the insert for a faithful reproduction when I have time.  I can cast new handles using resin tinted to match the faux ivory of the originals.  In the meantime, the Delrin knobs will look appropriate.  They look good but are just too "white" to pass for stock.  

The insert, and removing the remnants with a sharp chisel.  It's a metric M7 thread so I want to save these for the eventual ivory knobs.

009.jpg

010.jpg

I cut sized blocks from the Delrin I had on-hand.

013.jpg

Rough-shaped on the disk sander to save time and chatter on the lathe.

011.jpg

Bored a hole and tapped it for the M7 threads for the control rod.

007.jpg

Here's the first one just about ready to come off the lathe, with an original for comparison.

005.jpg

Threaded onto the control rod.

002.jpg

Control rods attached to the mount.  I managed to remove much of the corrosion and dirt from the rods themselves, they look pretty good with just a quick polish.

004.jpg

It works well, I didn't polish the knob as much as I should have since it's really only temporary.  When I cast the faux ivory knobs I'll polish them highly, and they should be nearly indistinguishable from the originals.

More to come but my wife is bugging me to come to dinner.  This scope just might turn out to be a terrific acquisition, despite my initial misgivings. 

• rolo, astro140, starman876 and 15 others like this

#41 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

Great job, Chuck! It feels good to be out puttering in your own workshop, doesn't it?
  • Chuck Hards and Earthbound1 like this

#42 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Carol.  I  rarely have any free time anymore, so yes these quick little projects have a therapeutic value far beyond the actual work accomplished. 

• Vesper818, Bomber Bob, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#43 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:07 AM

That is very much understood. I have too much time, but can only work on something 5-10 mins at a time.Any progress is therapuric.
  • Chuck Hards likes this

#44 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:03 AM

The detail!!!  Very nice!

#45 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:32 AM

Very nice Chuck! 

That mount and the small glimpses of the whole kit is very interesting. Save for some Unitrons you certainly don't see many Alt-Az mounts on 76-80mm vintage Japanese telescopes. IMO the rare and unusual stuff make for great keepers.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#46 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

Chuck, that's an excellent reproduction, and the scope deserves it.

IMO the rare and unusual stuff make for great keepers.  

Those are the ones I like, too.  How many of these type AZ mounts have a 360* azimuth gear?  The wide curved yoke arms?  The top-hinged ring cradle?  A lot of work went in to it, and that's worth preserving.

#47 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

Fantastic work. Please keep us posted.
  • Chuck Hards likes this

#48 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:34 PM

Awesome work so far Chuck! I'm glad you ended up with it instead of me, you're much more equipped to handle the care that scope needs.
  • Chuck Hards likes this

#49 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:20 AM

I've gone ahead and edited the title of this thread, to accurately describe the subject and make searches easier.

I also found this out about the company.  It looks like they just went out of business last year.  Maybe their archives still exist?  

http://www.techinst.com/

Another of those companies like Sans & Streiffe, Monolux, Swift, etc., that got started importing mostly microscopes. 

#50 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:39 AM

A few more pics.  It's going back together very well and I was going to try it out on the sky tonight.  I had a clear blue sky right after sundown but it quickly developed into a high cirrus that pretty much blotted-out everything, even the moon had no detail.

Close up of altitude slow-motion:

017.jpg

Azimuth slow-motion.  A continuous gear, not just a segment.  There is no lock on the azimuth axis, but it moves easily and the control rod moves it very smoothly.

016.jpg

Focuser end.  Seen here with a Vixen 1.25" adapter threaded-on to the slider barrel, which normally carries a Swift-style .965" compression eyepiece holder.  That's a modern dielectric diagonal in the pic.

015.jpg

I got the dewcap worked round again on the skyward end, sanded down to clean metal, and here seen after a coat of etching primer and the second coat of white sanding primer.  It will get the final color coat sprayed on next week.  The dewcap attaches to a black machined ring with four small brass machine screws, but that ring threads off the cell taking the dewcap with it for storage. 

014.jpg

If the sun is out tomorrow I'll try it with the Lunt wedge.

• rolo, astro140, DreamWeaver and 6 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics