I finally have a couple of days off, it's been three weeks since my last time-off. Kelly got a new toy to help her do her nails so I took advantage of the time to do some work on this scope.
TECH. INST. CO. It carries the Infinity maker's mark.
One of the handles was missing, just a few pieces of plastic still stuck to the threaded insert. The other one has been broken several times and crudely re-glued, though it's functional. I decided to make a new pair of handles from Delrin block.
I removed the plastic from the shattered one and am saving the insert for a faithful reproduction when I have time. I can cast new handles using resin tinted to match the faux ivory of the originals. In the meantime, the Delrin knobs will look appropriate. They look good but are just too "white" to pass for stock.
The insert, and removing the remnants with a sharp chisel. It's a metric M7 thread so I want to save these for the eventual ivory knobs.
I cut sized blocks from the Delrin I had on-hand.
Rough-shaped on the disk sander to save time and chatter on the lathe.
Bored a hole and tapped it for the M7 threads for the control rod.
Here's the first one just about ready to come off the lathe, with an original for comparison.
Threaded onto the control rod.
Control rods attached to the mount. I managed to remove much of the corrosion and dirt from the rods themselves, they look pretty good with just a quick polish.
It works well, I didn't polish the knob as much as I should have since it's really only temporary. When I cast the faux ivory knobs I'll polish them highly, and they should be nearly indistinguishable from the originals.
More to come but my wife is bugging me to come to dinner. This scope just might turn out to be a terrific acquisition, despite my initial misgivings.